ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EditPad Pro 7 - released

<< < (4/13) > >>

widgewunner:
I love EditPad Pro as well. I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit but I much, much prefer EditPad Pro - so much so that I recently uninstalled edit-32, despite the lifetime license. I can't quite put my finger on why I prefer EditPad Pro... I suppose that if pressed I'd point to the GUI, though.
-Darwin (October 13, 2010, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like you, I also have a lifetime UE32 license, but I do keep it around because it still has a few tricks up its sleeves that EPP does not yet have. i.e.

* Powerful column mode editing allows you to:

* Type in text into multiple rows simultaneously.
* Fill a column block with a sequence of numbers in hex or decimal with or without leading zeroes.

* Sort a selection of rows with multiple column range specifications.
* Perform operations (such as converting tabs-2-spaces) on only a selected region rather that the whole file. (EPP does this document-wide Correction: this behavior has been fixed in EPP7).
* Powerful built-in Javascript scripting engine.
But I stick with EPP because of its superior search and replace regex engine. (Although it has yet to implement recursive expressions such as '(?R)' - I don't know of any editor that can do that yet.)

Darwin:
widgewunner - you're right about the column editing mode, I did use that a lot when I was working on my PhD. Don't need it anymore, though. The other thing that I totally agree about WRT EPP is the search and replace feature. This is one of the things that I was thinking about when I talked about the GUI being subtley superior. I'm crap with reg-ex, but love having it right there to play with (one hopes that eventually it'll "stick").

Carol Haynes:
Have you tried either of the companion products from JGsoft - RegEx Buddy and RegEx Magic?

Both are directly available in EditPad Pro search pane and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.

Darwin:
Have you tried either of the companion products from JGsoft - RegEx Buddy and RegEx Magic?

Both are directly available in EditPad Pro search pane and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.
-Carol Haynes (October 14, 2010, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes... I have licenses for both. The real problem that I have is that once I quit my PhD I lost all need to actually use/learn Grep, so simply haven't taken the time and, indeed, haven't had the time. One day, though...

wraith808:

-Carol Haynes (October 14, 2010, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

How's regex magic?  I have to do an increasing amount with regex, and regex buddy has saved me more than once.  I got regex buddy on the cheap on a special, and Regex magic is pretty pricey though, so I haven't dropped the money yet...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version