topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for September 16th, 2010 - "Prepare the Sleds"  (Read 26192 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for September 16th, 2010 - "Prepare the Sleds"
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Newsletter for September 16th, 2010
"Prepare the Sleds"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hello dear readers.  Yet another month has gone by, and you know what that means, time for another DC newsletter filled with magical surprises and ghosts from future's past.

The most important thing to talk to you about this month is our NANY 2011 event, whose December 31st deadline is fast approaching.  NANY stands for "New Apps for the New Year" and it's where everyone on DC is asked to help celebrate the new year by participating in the release of new free software applications.  If you're a coder, we want you to pledge to release a new program as part of our NANY event -- and if you're not a coder, we want you to try to find a way to help out the coders, by volunteering to test beta versions, help think up ideas, and just in general share your talents!

By the time December 31st rolls around you are going to be sick of hearing me talk about NANY so you might as well unsubscribe to the newsletter now if you're getting that feeling already.  NANY is one of the funnest things we do in DC, it's our big winter online holiday party, and we love to get in the spirit of it.  I hope some of you will be inspired to make your first posts on our forum and say hello and join us in the festivities.  Everyone is welcome -- and please help us spread the word to your coder friends.

This year I'm determined to release at least one big new application, and hopefully more than that; I even started a poll (link below) to help me choose which application to write.  And if you are a coder, I'm really still hoping to see some new coders stop by and maybe collaborate with me on a project or two so we can really make this year's NANY special.  In particular, I've been getting into board games and board game designing recently (you'll see a couple of threads highlighted below that reflect that), and one of the possible projects I'd like to get help working on for NANY is card/board game design utilities, and a possible online library for prototyping new games.

-mouser, champaign IL, USA

2. NANY 2011 Update and Call for Volunteers

The NANY 2011 deadline of December 31st is fast approaching!  If you're a coder, start thinking about some new program you can get working on.  Or, stop by and look for ideas and collaborators and helpers.  If you're not a coder, why not volunteer to help out in other ways.  Anyone can get involved with the NANY event by offering their talents to the hard working entrants to help with the ancillary aspects of their entries. Volunteering on NANY projects is a great way for everyone to get involved with the Event, coders and non-coders alike! Full details are available on the Call for Volunteers thread, or you may consider helping with specific requests:

If you're just a keen software user you may like to check out the new NANY Pledges, and the other exciting updates on the NANY 2011 board:

3. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We welcome everyone's participation on the forum, regardless of your level of computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to jump in.

4. DC Stuff

New member-written software updates and other writings posted since the last newsletter:

5. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Let's find out..

6. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

7. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

8. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

9. September Discounts and Giveaways

• [url=https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23908] Sep 2010 Giveaway+Discounts: Atrise Golden Section and USB Safely Remove/Zentimo

Thanks to Perry for his help preparing the newsletter.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:24 AM by mouser »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for September 16th, 2010 - "Prepare the Sleds"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:31 AM »
It's amazing how much you get into this newsletter month-to-month, and categorize it, etc.  Thanks!  A great one as usual!  And thanks to Perry also!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Excellent! Thank you Perry and Mouser  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Since i haven't done so in a long while, may i make a shameless request that if you've never donated to the site, would you please consider doing so today?  Every little bit helps!

munyard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Thank you for another interesting read. For months now, when my Newsletter notification first arrives in my Inbox, I smile and click on the "Online Edition of the Newsletter" which I place on my desktop. I run a clean desktop, so the lonely link reminds me, and for the remainder of that day as and when I get a few moments I read with interest.

I'm a Linux, Mac, Cloud user so more of these would be great.  - Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:34 PM by munyard »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement -- you folks always make it fun to post a new newsletter  :up:

Tony Dodd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for a fantastic newsletter! Always a pleasure.  :)

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • StopKa Desktop search tool
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Hi! One question about this year NANY and about my software.
I want to public new release of my StopKa to NANY event, but I do not want release it as a freeware...
What do you think about donationcoder.com 1 year license for the software?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40 PM »
vitaly, it's a good question; i answered it and let's continue discussion here:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=24047.0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:48 PM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement -- you folks always make it fun to post a new newsletter  :up:

it's always nice that there's lots of action here after a newsletter launch!
Tom