topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple  (Read 69990 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Hmm... interesting, tomos, thank you for the insight (no pun intended!). I based my argument on my own observations (playing with iPhone/iPod Touch 4's and my own HTC Surround) and on comments I've read around the net. I've played with the iPad in the shops but have not yet had an opportunity to play with an Android tablet (though the Samsung Galaxy Tab is in shops around here, but then it has Super AMOLED)...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 10:51 PM »
And with the jailbreaking option, the ipad is the most flexible and powerful tablet you can get right now.

I'd be careful there. Even with a jail-broken iOS device, Android, bada (when it hits the tablet), and Windows 7 are going to be more flexible by far.

Apple has iOS itself locked down. Compared to the other mobile OSes out there, it's hamstrung. You can do a lot with it, but it's simply not nearly as flexible as the others.

Apple locks things out until it can come out with all the most profitable stuff by itself, then once they have the market sewn up, they *might* open things a bit. This is just their typical modus operandi with iOS.

On a side note, having looked into Retina displays, I believe that they really are better than AMOLED and Super AMOLED.

The companies behind the OSes have fundamentally different philosophies. Apple believes in opening up a few things. The others believe in restricting a few things. The upshot from Apple is that everything starts locked down or unavailable. i.e. "We'll let you do x, y, and z." On the other hand, you have the other guys saying, "We'd better lock this down because it could prove to be a potential security/privacy issue." It's a dictatorial vs. libertarian outlook.

If the CEOs or people in charge were historical figures, Steve Jobs would be Stalin while the others would be more like Ben Franklin (or similar).
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

PeterRossy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Also it is too expensive...50% of money are brand and only other 50% are the quality

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2011, 11:48 PM »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011, 07:51 AM »
@Deozaan
Thanks for the morning laugh.  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18 AM »
You know, having at least one device running the latest OS from everyone with the exception of Linux (machine died about a year ago), as much as it grieves me to say this, nothing else is ready for prime time WRT tablets than iOS 4.x. Android *may* get there with Honeycomb and unfortunately, for now, that is where the competition is: Apple vs. Android. I have two Android tablets and they are fun. However, my father wants to buy my mother a tablet for her birthday and I cannot in good conscience recommend an Andriod 2.21. There's just too much variation in terms of stability and configuration for me to be confident that they would have a smooth, hassle-free experience. Honeycomb may change all that... Wish MS would get its act together - of iOS 4.2, WP7, and Android 2.21, WP7 is by far the nicest portable OS that I use. Of course, my wife is due to be getting a RIM Playbook later this year through work, so that may change things as well.

Anyway, rambling musings aside, Apple owns the tablet and PMP market because their devices are pretty much idiot proof. Android devices expose the idiot in all of us and MS isn't really in the market yet (does that make MS a pack of idiots?  ;D).

Bottom line: Apple is what I am grudgingly endorsing (it really kills me to say that!) for now - no learning curve and few pratfalls to worry about...

EDIT: typos..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:49 AM by Darwin »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Motorola Xoom is running Android 3:
http://www.motorola....mers/XOOM/index.html

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Motorola Xoom is running Android 3:
http://www.motorola....mers/XOOM/index.html

Yes, but it's pricey and hardly widely available (won't even be available in Canada for another week). One of the factors that I was taking into account is how available these devices are to the average Joe going to a bricks and mortar store to buy something. There are perhaps three/four Android devices available in my small city: iPad, Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, Viewsonic 7" tablet. That's it. The Viewsonic ONLY became available this week.

Like I said, Honeycomb (Android 3.0 - I should have been clear in my earlier post) may change everything but for now it is as rare as rocking horse shit and very few people have used on in the wild/reported on the experience, so it's largely an unknown quantity.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2011, 12:14 PM »
PS I did some checking - the Viewsonic available near me isn't - it's available on-line but not in-store - and it's specs are quite unimpressive (my 18 month or so old Archos 5IT has a faster, higher spec, more modern processor, for example).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Bottom line: Apple is what I am grudgingly endorsing (it really kills me to say that!) for now - no learning curve and few pratfalls to worry about...

If someone asked me for a recommendation for a tablet, I'd say wait a little while longer.

Apple do make some good hardware and software, but I can't recommend Apple to people I care about simple on principle due to their business practices.

Sure, Apple's trains may run on time, but good luck getting toilet paper when you need it!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33 PM »

If someone asked me for a recommendation for a tablet, I'd say wait a little while longer.

Apple do make some good hardware and software, but I can't recommend Apple to people I care about simple on principle due to their business practices.

Sure, Apple's trains may run on time, but good luck getting toilet paper when you need it!

;D Nice one. My parents have a Snow Leapord desktop (iMac) and two netbooks/ultraportables XP and Win7. They love Mac so I'm not so much recommending Apple as not discouraging them (though I would like to do so). Waiting is the buzzword re: tablets, I'm just not sure that my parents would benefit from waiting...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2011, 07:01 AM »
I got stuck on-site with a (Snow Leopard) Mac user who was trying to get a copy of Quark 6.5 to Print. Now Mind you everything else on the machine could print fine. But the older version of Quark couldn't quite make it past Bonjour to actually get to the printer - Because Bonjour kept moving the target and insisting it need to be redefined.

This cycle repeated every time the user restarted the application. Even if nothing changed, except a refresh of the DHCP assigned IP address. Bonjour (like an idiotic puppy) went romping off to "find" everything again to see where it had gone... Even though the printer, which is statically address, didn't/hasn't/can't move!!!

Now I realize that Apple thinks backward compatability is bad for sales ... But creating a protocol that automagically breaks things? Damn ... If that's their definition of "easy"... I'd much rather do it the hard way.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Ha, ha! I've had quite a few headanging against the (physical) desktop sessions with my parents' iMac and printing... Still, from what I've read, and from six months of using iOS 4.x, I'm more comfortable with the thought of my dear old mum using an iPad than an Android device. Of course, I've been thinking: by June the Galaxy Tab II should be out and available in-store where I am (sorry: June is my mum's birth month). I have actually played around with a Galaxy Tab and liked it a lot. Maybe the II will come with Honeycomb (or get an update) and I'll know enough about Android myself to help them set it up so that they can't mess it up...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Bonjour has got to be one of the most useless, chatty, unsecure POS excuses for a protocol I have ever encountered. Service advertisement, addressing & name resolution all rolled into one "tidy" package (kinda like a used diaper) ... It's no wonder they suck at doing anything on the wire, they've been blinded at birth.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2011, 01:38 AM »
My new email sig on the iPad (in an attempt to play both sides)  :P

Spoiler
Sent from my iPad
( Erase above line to stop sounding like a pretentious prick.
Love, Apple Inc. )

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2011, 03:17 AM »

Hahahahaha~! That's awesome~! Nothing like playing both sides against the middle. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2011, 08:57 AM »

Hahahahaha~! That's awesome~! Nothing like playing both sides against the middle. :)

What's the middle? Windows Mobile?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48 AM »

What's the middle? Windows Mobile?

No. At the moment Windows Mobile is clearly at the bottom. :P :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2011, 10:33 AM »
No. At the moment Windows Mobile is clearly at the bottom.

Well 3 Cheers for the underdog!

(Sent From My Windows Mobile Phone)

:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37 AM »
No. At the moment Windows Mobile is clearly at the bottom.

Well 3 Cheers for the underdog!

(Sent From My Windows Mobile Phone)

:D
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2011, 10:33 AM)

To be honest, I am PRAYING for Windows Mobile to become a big contender in late 2012 or 2013. And I'm hoping that they make C# a first class language there... They've not managed to make C# in any way useful for MS Office yet... Grrr... While C++ may be great in many aspects, it's still a beast. (No comment on Objective-C as that's obvious...)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45 AM »
They've not managed to make C# in any way useful for MS Office yet... Grrr... While C++ may be great in many aspects, it's still a beast.

Whereas for me, as long they don't support C++, or at least C++/CLI, on Windows Mobile I won't develop for it. C++ is just soooooooooo lovely to code in.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50 AM »
They've not managed to make C# in any way useful for MS Office yet... Grrr... While C++ may be great in many aspects, it's still a beast.

Whereas for me, as long they don't support C++, or at least C++/CLI, on Windows Mobile I won't develop for it. C++ is just soooooooooo lovely to code in.

I'll 2nd that, I love working in C++!

I got stuck the last few weeks working on one of our Intranet sites coded in ASP (e.g. VB), and it just makes me want to scream every time I have to deal with it.

Either rigidly define the data types ala C++, or completely ignore them ala PHP...That's fine. ASP/VB have generally undefined data types loosely based on rules I swear they make up on-the-fly. It's a freakin' nightmare trying to get anything done quickly with that mess.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2011, 12:02 PM »

It would be insanity not to support C++. Nobody would do that. Hell, even Apple supports C++ (kind of).

All I want is the same level of support for C# as C++ gets.

If you look at MS Office, it's a nightmare to deal with it in C#. Heck, it's a nightmare in C++, but still better there than in C#. .NET in MS Office is a pigment of our imaginations. Moreover, that pigment is transparent, as in invisible.

Yes. I know that it's work. It's a lot of work. C# requires more than C++. But that's part of what makes it a higher level language.

Higher level languages require more work as they are evolutionary.

Still, I'm crossing my fingers.

Right now Novell is leading the charge, but... I'd rather see the platform vendors support C# natively. (That goes for Android, iOS, Blackberry or whatever.)

As far as I can see it, the three primary languages for mobile should likely be C++, C#, and Java. All as first class languages.

Like seriously... it's 2011... The companies are f***ing around with developers and forcing us to "take sides".

The platform BS is just old now and I'm sick of it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I got stuck the last few weeks working on one of our Intranet sites coded in ASP (e.g. VB), and it just makes me want to scream every time I have to deal with it.
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2011, 11:50 AM)

ASP sucked. It's no wonder MS gave up on it almost a decade ago now~! :) :P

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Wow, I think I just got crit-text'd for over 9,000 hit points.

I'll share my simple position on apple.

If you are old, don't care to learn just want to use something and it work, apple is for you.

If you are interested in learning, tweaking, using your PC for something not every person does, or navigating your computer with only the keyboard, etc apple is not for you.

Am I being too simple here since my opinion doesn't take 2 pages to write? *shrugs*
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...