topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?  (Read 24690 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:49 AM »
I've been doing a bit of research and am totally addled by what I've read.

Is there a simple way to connect two computers ? Quick & dirty, I just want to get some files and compare some directories.
Both are with XP, both SP2 - but I do intend to update my main machine to SP3 within the next week (I could do the other one while I'm at it if it would help)

Neither have wireless & the router given by my ISP only has one whachamacallit (same as network) socket. Each PC has one network socket (so I could connect via them)
I do have a Fritzbox router (7170) which isnt in use - I guess that could be an option but again I wouldnt be sure how. Also, my ISP set up the other router so I dont have any of the details there.

As I say, preferably easy easy (pleasy :p) :)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57 AM »
If you run the network cable from the ISP router to the Fritzbox router, then run network cables to your computers, you should be good. You'll need to setup sharing though so that you can "see" the other computer and put files on it. Also, make sure to check the Windows firewall or any other firewall that you have running. Not sure if that's simple enough. Hope it helps anyways.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:05 AM »
if you can find a crossover cable, then you can connect the 2 PCs directly..

http://www.home-netw...p.com/crossover.html

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21 AM »
thanks for the suggestions both  :up:

the direct connection sounds more complicated cause neither PC has a network card
Will try the Router route but will probably wait till after my SP3 install now,

thanks again :)
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:30 AM »
the direct connection sounds more complicated cause neither PC has a network card

hmm.. you mentioned that "Each PC has one network socket" so it shouldn't be a problem..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45 AM »

hmm.. you mentioned that "Each PC has one network socket" so it shouldn't be a problem..
Okay, you got me there Lanux :D

Thing is I'm not sure what they are lol (embarrassed laughter) - I use them for the internet connection (broadband) but I presume they could be used for a network style connection
I'll order one of those cables & try it out.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17 AM »
if you can find a crossover cable, then you can connect the 2 PCs directly..

http://www.home-netw...p.com/crossover.html

I'm only getting to this now :)
that page says I need to assign an IP address to each computer, and links to this page for XP:
How to Set IP Address and Other Network Information in Windows XP

Now, both computers are currently setup to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'
It is not clear to me how to proceed from there -
(1) do I still assign the IP address manually? or
(2) do I assign an IP address manually on the 'alternative tab' ? or
(3) do I create a new lan connection? (the older PC already has two lan connections)

my main worry is that #1 & 2 would affect my internet connection - I know I could just try it & undo after but thought it best to ask first :)
thanks for any help!
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Assuming the XP defaults of DHCP & APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) both machines will self assign IP addresses in the 169.254.x.x network range when the cross-over cable is connected between them (time-outs being what they are, this tends to take a while 5-10min) This should work fine for your (quick-N-dirty) purposes.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Assuming the XP defaults of DHCP & APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) both machines will self assign IP addresses in the 169.254.x.x network range when the cross-over cable is connected between them (time-outs being what they are, this tends to take a while 5-10min) This should work fine for your (quick-N-dirty) purposes.

thanks Stoic - I did try that way but didnt wait very long. Will have another go.
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:46 AM »
i guess Stoic may have this covered but just in case, you can access the network connection in the control panel and change the IP address range if you wish. for quick access, type 'ncpa.cpl' in the run box.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01 AM »

I'd just set the IP's on the alternate config tab and you're done - as I understand it the machine will use DHCP, but if there's no DHCP server it will use the alternate IP's.  It doesn't sound like you ever use the machines on other networks so this should be an easy solution

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04 AM »
thanks for all the help
someone stole my only other functioning keyboard so this is going to have to wait a little while (my main keyboard is not usb so a pain to swap)

will report back again - probably with more questions! :)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 06:44 AM »
Okay, when I wait for a while both computers say they're connected.
I presumed I would find the other computer under 'My Network places' - is that correct?

From one machine I can find nothing
From the other, if I go to Entire Network >MS Windows Network >Mshome I get a long delay and then:

---------------------------
Microsoft Windows Network
Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available
OK  

Now I suspect this might be my fault - I tweaked the other (older) machine a bit too much, partly because it was running out of space and memory etc. (& partly just because :-[)
IIRC I may have disabled some network related services - I'm going through them now on both machines & comparing in the hopes I can track down the problem (if that is it)
If you think it's something else, do shout! :)

FTR they both XP Home older one is SP2, newer SP3. Edit / both Admin accounts
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59 AM »
if you get the IP address of both PCs and ping each other, do they respond? or make a shared folder and try to access from the other computer: \\Computer name\Shared folder\.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 08:05 AM »
IIRC I may have disabled some network related services - I'm going through them now on both machines & comparing in the hopes I can track down the problem (if that is it)

then check if the Computer Browser service is enabled as well.

http://wiki.blackvip...iki/Computer_Browser

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Run the network setup wizard again on both.
Some times they forget after tweaking things.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 08:18 AM »
Tomos, this is what I use.  Simple USB to USB connection to join 2 computers using an SIIG Data Link Adapter #JU-CSL012.  Similar products are made by other companies.

Product (no longer made but still available on line): http://www.virtech.ca/detailProduct.php?str=SI-JUCSL0125

User Manual: [url=http://www.siig.com/Files/Manuals/0004/04-0336B.pdf]www.siig.com/Files/Manuals/0004/04-0336B.pdf [/url

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 08:31 AM »
IIRC There is no way to turn off Simple File Sharing (which uses the guest account) in XP home. Make sure the Admin accounts match (password), share the root of C: with everyone, enable the guest account, Turn off anything that even looks like a firewall, and use \\IP_Address to connect to the 2nd machine.

Obviously this is not something one would do in a production environment as it's a screw security and rip the thing open tactic (but if you're in a hurry... :)).

Actually if you grab a copy of the Trinity Rescue Disk, and boot the target machine to that, you can select Samba No Security from the boot options menu and have free access to the target machine without any configuration changes. I don't remember if TRD supports APIPA but if it doesn't give itself an address it'll prompt you for one. APIPA range is 169.254.x.x/16

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 01:02 PM »
OK thanks for all the tips.
Computer Browser Service is now enabled (wasnt on older pc) but still no joy. There wasn't anything else as far as I could see that would be causing a problem.

Actually if you grab a copy of the Trinity Rescue Disk, and boot the target machine to that, you can select Samba No Security from the boot options menu and have free access to the target machine without any configuration changes. I don't remember if TRD supports APIPA but if it doesn't give itself an address it'll prompt you for one. APIPA range is 169.254.x.x/16

I might give this a go cause I'm just at a loss with all the other stuff (I just have too many questions questions - absolutely no former experience in this direction...).
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31 PM »
make sure

'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'

is running, you knew that i reckon
just covering the basics
that's where i usually start

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Is there a simple way to connect two computers ? Quick & dirty, I just want to get some files and compare some directories.

Do both PCs have parallel ports, or USB ports?  If so, and provided you have the appropriate special cables, you can just use Total Commander.  I used to routinely connect a WinXP and a Win98 that way (parallel port version).

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 02:57 AM »
2tomos
For TC solution I recommend special USB cables like:
http://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm

I am using this solution for connecting my work laptop with home PC (both XP) and it works great.

Even if you can't find such cables there are plenty of USB cables which are not "Windows Easy Transfer" compatible but still offer nice PC-PC connection. Each PC treats them like standard USB disk with small application on it which manages all transfers.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Unfortunately the Trinity Rescue Disk didnt recognise the usb keyboard on bootup so I wasnt able to change the boot options...
If I dig up another non-usb keyboard somewhere I'll try again...

Lanux, Stoic, Target, thanks for all the help :up: :up: - I'm sure I could figure it all out (with your help!) but it's just taking too much time (having absolutely no clue here makes it that much more of a struggle for me) - I'm just going to go for what I hope and pray is an easier solution (below)

2tomos
For TC solution I recommend special USB cables like:
http://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm

I am using this solution for connecting my work laptop with home PC (both XP) and it works great.

Even if you can't find such cables there are plenty of USB cables which are not "Windows Easy Transfer" compatible but still offer nice PC-PC connection. Each PC treats them like standard USB disk with small application on it which manages all transfers.
-fenixproductions (August 23, 2010, 02:57 AM)

might try something like this (same idea as suggested by rjbull & jdd) - the cables shown in that TC link seem to be focused on copying stuff from older pc to newer one - in fact at least one of them seem to simply start copying stuff automatically according to an amazon review. They all work with their own software - OK, I found the TC FAQ page
http://www.ghisler.com/efaqusb.htm

Q: Each time I plug in the cable, Windows wants to start the Easy Transfer software! Can this be changed?
A: Yes, please start the tool TcUsbRun.exe once. It registers Total Commander as a handler for the USB connection. Each time you plug in the cable, you will then be asked whether you want to start Total Commander as a client or as a server. On one side you need to start it as a server, on the other as a client.

I can manage that I reckon ;-)  (I hope, lol)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Lanux, Stoic, Target, thanks for all the help :up: :up: - I'm sure I could figure it all out (with your help!) but it's just taking too much time (having absolutely no clue here makes it that much more of a struggle for me) - I'm just going to go for what I hope and pray is an easier solution (below)

I had one last go. I have:
  • Enabled Shared folders for "C" partition
  • Activated Guest account on target computer
  • I now disabled Windows Firewall
  • I'm logged into Admin accounts on both computers (neither uses a password)

Tried to access with variations on these address:
\\Computer name\FolderName\ where  FolderName = Folder in Root of C
\\Computer name
\\IPAddress\FolderName\
\\IPAddress\

I usually get a message to say the address cant be found or that the address is incorrect.
I've enabled all services that have *anything* to do with networks....
- Just wanted to let you know that I'm not giving up after not having had a good go at it ;-) (hard to let go of it all the same!)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35 AM »
  • I'm logged into Admin accounts on both computers (neither uses a password)

I forget which Service Pack did it, but Network Access is blocked for accounts that have blank passwords.