ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?

<< < (5/9) > >>

rjbull:
Is there a simple way to connect two computers ? Quick & dirty, I just want to get some files and compare some directories.
-tomos (May 19, 2010, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do both PCs have parallel ports, or USB ports?  If so, and provided you have the appropriate special cables, you can just use Total Commander.  I used to routinely connect a WinXP and a Win98 that way (parallel port version).

fenixproductions:
2tomos
For TC solution I recommend special USB cables like:
http://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm

I am using this solution for connecting my work laptop with home PC (both XP) and it works great.

Even if you can't find such cables there are plenty of USB cables which are not "Windows Easy Transfer" compatible but still offer nice PC-PC connection. Each PC treats them like standard USB disk with small application on it which manages all transfers.

tomos:
Unfortunately the Trinity Rescue Disk didnt recognise the usb keyboard on bootup so I wasnt able to change the boot options...
If I dig up another non-usb keyboard somewhere I'll try again...

Lanux, Stoic, Target, thanks for all the help :up: :up: - I'm sure I could figure it all out (with your help!) but it's just taking too much time (having absolutely no clue here makes it that much more of a struggle for me) - I'm just going to go for what I hope and pray is an easier solution (below)

2tomos
For TC solution I recommend special USB cables like:
http://www.ghisler.com/cables/index.htm

I am using this solution for connecting my work laptop with home PC (both XP) and it works great.

Even if you can't find such cables there are plenty of USB cables which are not "Windows Easy Transfer" compatible but still offer nice PC-PC connection. Each PC treats them like standard USB disk with small application on it which manages all transfers.
-fenixproductions (August 23, 2010, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

might try something like this (same idea as suggested by rjbull & jdd) - the cables shown in that TC link seem to be focused on copying stuff from older pc to newer one - in fact at least one of them seem to simply start copying stuff automatically according to an amazon review. They all work with their own software - OK, I found the TC FAQ page
http://www.ghisler.com/efaqusb.htm

Q: Each time I plug in the cable, Windows wants to start the Easy Transfer software! Can this be changed?
A: Yes, please start the tool TcUsbRun.exe once. It registers Total Commander as a handler for the USB connection. Each time you plug in the cable, you will then be asked whether you want to start Total Commander as a client or as a server. On one side you need to start it as a server, on the other as a client.
--- End quote ---

I can manage that I reckon ;-)  (I hope, lol)

tomos:
Lanux, Stoic, Target, thanks for all the help :up: :up: - I'm sure I could figure it all out (with your help!) but it's just taking too much time (having absolutely no clue here makes it that much more of a struggle for me) - I'm just going to go for what I hope and pray is an easier solution (below)
-tomos (August 23, 2010, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had one last go. I have:

* Enabled Shared folders for "C" partition
* Activated Guest account on target computer
* I now disabled Windows Firewall
* I'm logged into Admin accounts on both computers (neither uses a password)
Tried to access with variations on these address:
\\Computer name\FolderName\ where  FolderName = Folder in Root of C
\\Computer name
\\IPAddress\FolderName\
\\IPAddress\

I usually get a message to say the address cant be found or that the address is incorrect.
I've enabled all services that have *anything* to do with networks....
- Just wanted to let you know that I'm not giving up after not having had a good go at it ;-) (hard to let go of it all the same!)

Stoic Joker:

* I'm logged into Admin accounts on both computers (neither uses a password)-tomos (August 23, 2010, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I forget which Service Pack did it, but Network Access is blocked for accounts that have blank passwords.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version