topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Donationcoder: How did you find it + What has your experience been like so far.  (Read 31003 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey guys, was just talking in the Donation Coder IRC Channel and we got to talking about how we all found DC and its awesome forum :D

So, the question is, how did you find DC, and what do you think of it  :Thmbsup:

I was brought here by app103, and I LOVE it :D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
long story short: i was looking for a 'start menu replacer' in the AHK forums when i noticed Skrommel's apps. that in turn brought me to DoCo where i found FARR and bliss. 8)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found through SHELL EXTENSION CITY which runs an annual report on NANY and periodically features software from DC. The experience has been enlightening, to say the least. Friendly, helpful, tolerant, knowledgeable, wide-ranging, and fun.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This review of Process Tamer over at FreewareGenius.com  :-*

http://www.freewareg...12/11/process-tamer/

For me, Donation Coder is the perfect example of what a web community is supposed to be (and very seldom is): a group of intelligent and civil people who freely share their thoughts and experiences with each other.

One of the very few places on the web that I try to visit on a daily basis.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:05 PM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Way back when I was still working for a Dutch ISP, I got the task of finding good software for their download portal. To do that I needed a proper screenshot program and it didn't take me too much time to find out about Screenshot Captor on Donation Coder.

Since that time this site has lured me back on a frequent basis.  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... I am really not sure. I suspect that I was flailing around on Google trying to find the answer to a question that I had about software (this was 5 years ago!) and found my way here that way. I was amazed at how gracious and approachable mouser was (and is) and I've been here ever since.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Destiny brought DC to me.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Don't we already have a thread about this somewhere?

I got dragged in here from irc by Jibz - and now they'll have to drag me away, kicking and screaming.
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... I am really not sure. I suspect that I was flailing around on Google trying to find the answer to a question that I had about software [...]

same here,
I think, something about backup
didnt have a clue about anything when I came here,
now I . . ahh . . know where to ask ;)
Tom

RedPillow

• Joined in 2008
  • Pillows.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found this trought ScanCode and Datarealms.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I remember correctly (which is no mean thing these days) I think I was pointed here by a link in a Fred Langa newsletter.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My mother brought me.

The old troll said I didn't work hard enough, and she was gonna show me how hard really smart people work. But that's all I can remember really, cuz that's when she started hitting me.

Personally, I think I was following a link to some cool piece of software, but Mom says no.  Thanks God she stopped hitting me so I could make this post.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it was the Process Tamer, at least I can remember it being my first DC licensed app.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
zridling brought me here.

Been a great experience - met some great people...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... I am really not sure. I suspect that I was flailing around on Google trying to find the answer to a question that I had about software [...]
same here,
+1

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found DonationCoder about three years ago when I was searching for a discount coupon for some program - can't remember which; I think it might have been Website Watcher - and one of the search results was here. Turns out that by signing up and making the suggested "lifetime donation" at that time Website Watcher ended up costing me about the same as if I had no discount at all! But when I found DC and looked around I was impressed enough by the vast knowledge fount, the unique and great way that the donations are handled, and the generally pleasant atmosphere, I just fell in love with the site and never looked back! Unlike many tech-oriented sites members here seemed more relaxed, more tolerant of folks who aren't as expert as themselves. Of course one of the first posts I made got me flamed something awful by one of the members here! Still love the place.

Thank you.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... I am really not sure. I suspect that I was flailing around on Google trying to find the answer to a question that I had about software (this was 5 years ago!) and found my way here that way. I was amazed at how gracious and approachable mouser was (and is) and I've been here ever since.

Oh come on Mike! Tell the truth! Your devastating addiction to purchasing software just would NOT allow you to pass up this place, correct?!?! Be honest - The first step toward recovery is admitting that you have a problem....

Your buddy,

Jim   :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi. My name is Michael and I am a software addict.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Muahahaahahahaah~!  ;D

I found DC through the compression software review back when I worked for ESTsoft. ALZip was reviewed, and there were a couple factual things that I wanted clarified.

Anyways, I liked the place and stayed.

However, I have basically been absent and only occasionally lurking for the last year or more. I've simply been too busy to keep up. The pace of things here is quite fast, and reading so much simply isn't possible. I can only even open maybe 25% of threads if I'm lucky, and can only read a couple posts. My general ability to participate has been reduced, though I am back and do plan on being more active now that things have settled down.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I googled text editors and found mouser's timeless mega-review. I saw this guy loved software and was serious about quality. I was hooked and wanted to be a part of this place from then on.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I hope you take my post in the same vein as it was meant - mean and nasty...   purely in jest!!

Hey, I have seen just about everyone else here rib you about that; I just couldn't pass it up!   :Thmbsup:

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I hate to tread on everyone's sense of temporality and causality, but in 1984 I received a mysterious dossier on microfilm format that had a list of 500,000 users, and instructions to set up this site.  Your names and emails, along with your forum names, avatars, and and some additional unknown symbols, are all present in this original dossier, along with several hundred thousand users that have not yet signed up.  It also lists emergency procedures for dealing with a situation where someone on the list attempts to leave the site (very unpleasant procedures i must say).  The only thing i took the liberty of changing from the dossier instructions was the name of the site -- which i was instructed to call DOCO40948093823342352352352352350893425093485.com -- i thought that was a little long.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The promise of riches and glory attracted me...

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hate to tread on everyone's sense of temporality and causality, but in 1984 I received a mysterious dossier on microfilm format that had a list of 500,000 users, and instructions to set up this site.  Your names and emails, along with your forum names, avatars, and and some additional unknown symbols, are all present in this original dossier, along with several hundred thousand users that have not yet signed up.  It also lists emergency procedures for dealing with a situation where someone on the list attempts to leave the site (very unpleasant procedures i must say).  The only thing i took the liberty of changing from the dossier instructions was the name of the site -- which i was instructed to call DOCO40948093823342352352352352350893425093485.com -- i thought that was a little long.

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
in 1984 I received a mysterious dossier on microfilm format
Damn, I thought I mailed that to Ronnie Reagan!