topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?  (Read 32418 times)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 03:42 PM »
(Virtually) no matter what u do to ur hard drive, it will live long beyond its usefulness. So, I'd so no. But heat generation ,as the article mentions, is a concern along these lines, since it could push your system over the threshold and crash, in theory.

If you don't care about perfromance degradation, then don't defragment. You don't have to care about making your system faster, just not letting it get slower.

Now let's all get together and be teacups.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 03:50 PM by db90h »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 10:49 PM »
i must admit to having kfitting's fears regarding defragging as well.. but i don't know anything about whether its well founded, it's just a gut level reluctance to having the hard drive going insane moving stuff around like mad more than it has to.  my general approach has been to use a defragmenter occasionally, maybe once every coupld of months.  but that's based just on superstition not on any informed information.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 10:17 AM »
Drive thrashing... well, sane defrag apps will try reading/writing at longish intervals before moving, and then there's the OS'es "elevator sort" algorithm + Native Command Queuing on SATA/SCSI drives to eliminate thrashing a bit.

If you don't defragment, you'll get daily thrashing, instead of "just" a (somewhat massive, yes) amount of thrashing while the defrag is done.

As for heat generation issues, you should always have a 80 or 120mm fan in front of your harddrives. In normal system use, it means a temperature difference of ~20C around here (Denmark... Scandinavia... aka cold).
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 10:26 AM »
but i don't know anything about whether its well founded, it's just a gut level reluctance to having the hard drive going insane moving stuff around like mad more than it has to.
I'm defragging HDs at least once a week (I like the file structure to be clean and access to be fast) and NEVER had a single problem because of that.

nowshining

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ugh! Hello! Anybody there?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 01:28 AM »
I use Defrag.exe the cmd line version...it also comes with windefrag.exe a gui like version...http://www.kessels.com/defrag/
I also use the built in defragmentor, and also speedefrag i found off www.download.com that one u just start up, choose drives to defrag, and press start, it auto reboots ur compuer, once u sign on, or autosign on if u have ur computer set to do that, and defrags and then shuts down ur computer.. :)

Each has its little quirks..
First site to ever donate to "THIS ONE RIGHT HERE" :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 01:30 AM by nowshining »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Oooh, the www.kessels.com site has source for the command-line defragmenter, cute :)
- carpe noctem

donnell

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 08:11 AM »
I use Diskeeper to defragment my drives. Its got IFAAST and Invisitasking which completely automate the task. Stuff like burning CDs and running multiple applications at the same time is super smooth when the drives are defragged and in good shape. Best part is none of these are hit even with the tool running in the background ( set it and forget it option)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11 AM »

As for heat generation issues, you should always have a 80 or 120mm fan in front of your harddrives. In normal system use, it means a temperature difference of ~20C around here (Denmark... Scandinavia... aka cold).

Yes, it makes a good room heater in the winter too, especially when combined with the GPU fan on high intensity games (though it ups the AC bill if you have that sort of thing). ;D ;D ;D

bugis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I personally do believe in defragging regularly...there are a  lot of skeptics out there when it comes to payware defrag programs, but I have gone with what I know does the job for me. I do quite a bit of gaming (COD2, Oblivion, NFS:MW and UT2K4 mostly) and a lot of *ahem* bittorrenting ;) so the state of my drive is not always perfect. I tried a few of the commercial defraggers, and finally settled on Diskeeper 2k7. Seems to be the most unselfish defragger when it comes to eating up my precious system resources. Runs smoothly in the background without stuttering (has been a problem with me with some other defraggers) and one big advantage is its multiple drive defrag capability. Doesnt take too long to defrag my twin 160 GB T7k250s compared to the built in windows utility that would take all of eternity to finish the job >:(.

bugis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 10:00 AM »
But, speed aside, what about harddisk thrashing?  It just doesn't seem like it's a good thing to make the harddrive heads slam around all the time.  Speed is a secondary concern to me... I care about the life of my harddrive!  Is this a valid reason to defragment?

Kevin

EDIT: After re-reading my post, I dont think I made much sense even to myself :D, so let me edit my post and add this, before I am misunderstood: some people claim that regular defragmentation can actually *reduce* the life of your HDD because of heavy read-write activity. I personally think this is utter rubbish, and the opposite is actually true.

And if your HDD fails because of defragging, then it was faulty to begin with....HDDs these days should be able to do some reasnoably heavy duty stuff and keep going without blinking. I believe they are engineered with this in mind.

I have never heard about any HDD failure due to defragging. But keep in mind that other factors also come into play such as the temperature, dust, humidity etc. I have a 80mm fan in the front panel of my Centurion 5 case blowing air over the HDDs, keeping them reasonably cool but not as cool as I'd like. Ideally a 120 mm fan would be nice, but it wont fit in the casing in front.

I dont see any cons of defragging....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:12 AM by bugis »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Does anyone know how to defragment an USB drive?
It doesn't show up in perfectDisk...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 12:30 PM »
It should do, urlwolf. It's an option though - go to Configuration - Advanced Configuration and select the "Removable Storage" tab...

PD Config.pngdoes anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?

EDIT: added screenshot - I'm a SnagIT fiend today (with apologies to mouser)!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:29 PM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Note that not all USB drives are compatible - which is why it is disabled by default! Though how you are supposed to know ....

FWIW My Seagate external drive seems OK with it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Yes - I'd meant to underline the blurb above the radio button about checking with the manufacturer for compatability and see that I didn't... Right, off to do that now!