ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

does anyone of you believe in defragmentation programs?

<< < (6/8) > >>

db90h:
(Virtually) no matter what u do to ur hard drive, it will live long beyond its usefulness. So, I'd so no. But heat generation ,as the article mentions, is a concern along these lines, since it could push your system over the threshold and crash, in theory.

If you don't care about perfromance degradation, then don't defragment. You don't have to care about making your system faster, just not letting it get slower.

Now let's all get together and be teacups.

mouser:
i must admit to having kfitting's fears regarding defragging as well.. but i don't know anything about whether its well founded, it's just a gut level reluctance to having the hard drive going insane moving stuff around like mad more than it has to.  my general approach has been to use a defragmenter occasionally, maybe once every coupld of months.  but that's based just on superstition not on any informed information.

f0dder:
Drive thrashing... well, sane defrag apps will try reading/writing at longish intervals before moving, and then there's the OS'es "elevator sort" algorithm + Native Command Queuing on SATA/SCSI drives to eliminate thrashing a bit.

If you don't defragment, you'll get daily thrashing, instead of "just" a (somewhat massive, yes) amount of thrashing while the defrag is done.

As for heat generation issues, you should always have a 80 or 120mm fan in front of your harddrives. In normal system use, it means a temperature difference of ~20C around here (Denmark... Scandinavia... aka cold).

brotherS:
but i don't know anything about whether its well founded, it's just a gut level reluctance to having the hard drive going insane moving stuff around like mad more than it has to.
-mouser (February 05, 2006, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm defragging HDs at least once a week (I like the file structure to be clean and access to be fast) and NEVER had a single problem because of that.

nowshining:
I use Defrag.exe the cmd line version...it also comes with windefrag.exe a gui like version...http://www.kessels.com/defrag/
I also use the built in defragmentor, and also speedefrag i found off www.download.com that one u just start up, choose drives to defrag, and press start, it auto reboots ur compuer, once u sign on, or autosign on if u have ur computer set to do that, and defrags and then shuts down ur computer.. :)

Each has its little quirks..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version