topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Monitoring and Notification Software?  (Read 3564 times)

jpar5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Monitoring and Notification Software?
« on: June 13, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Couple of questions/suggestions for something new.  Do you know of any software that will do the following:

1.  Monitor a file that is periodically growing in size, and notify the user when it reaches a certain size?  I archive email to .pst files and need to know when they are approching the size of a CD so I can burn it and delete it from my hard drive.  Thoughts?

2.  Monitor an application or internal web address to make sure it is active, and report to the user if it is not?  I have a video surveillance piece of software running on a remote PC with a web interface to it (or I can remote desktop into the machine).  I need to make sure the surveillance software is running.  The software won't run as a service (as far as I know), so if the machine reboots due to power outage, etc. it can be days before I realize the system hasn't launched the software and hasn't been recording.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitoring and Notification Software?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53 PM »
I'm sure there's a #2 out there somewhere, but I don't know any specifically.

But it looks like #1 would be easy enough to do with AutoHotkey. Check out the function: FileGetSize.

If you need some help writing the script I'm sure someone here can lend a hand.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:56 PM by Hirudin »

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitoring and Notification Software?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:50 PM »
Have a look at the utility called Shutter:
http://www.den4b.com/projects.php

Even though it's primarily a shut down utility, it has trigger events based on file size limit, process stops, and ping stops which may fit all of your stated needs.  Rather than stating a shutdown action you can just display a specified message.  It can be set to automatically run on windows start up.