topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Many background and and CircleDock Clone  (Read 17632 times)

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Many background and and CircleDock Clone
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:17 AM »
I found Flickr pages with many interisting images for CD:
http://www.flickr.co...os/snarfo/119870372/
http://www.flickr.co...oups/amazingcircles/
http://www.flickr.co...s/72157622490050289/

This is a CD Clone http://www.lucianopa...ublic/cianodock.html. It's a pity to spent energy in different project. :(
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Re: Many background and and CircleDock Clone
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Some very nice backgrounds there!

All I will say about "CianoDock" is that it is his original work and he's obviously not based it on Circle Dock code and trying to claim originality.

Mark

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02 PM »
I know Ciano Dock is original but the programer have used CircleDock before. It's a pity, if he was as you, Markham, now we have more programmer working on CD.
Anyway Markham you are great programmer and the new CD is more powerful. Thanks
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

DrAg0n

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44 PM »

Uhwhatever

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 04:13 AM »
Other backgrounds from my city:
https://www.donation...?topic=20354.new#new

ciano

• Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:48 AM »
Hi I'm Luciano Palladino the creator of CianoDock  :),
well I just realize that CircleDock has been updated and I'm happy about it. Anyway I wanna say couple things...
Has I wrote, I never said that's an original dock idea (I wrote it on the webpage too) I was just unsatisfied about the docks around, my purpose isn't to claim an original dock or fight with other docks. (Anyway a pie menu it's a old idea you can find it also in Autodesk Maya for example or another pie dock before circledock that goes opensource but now I don't remember the name)
Well it's impossible to find a software that fit all the needs you want to. So I decided to create CianoDock. At the beginning I use it for personal usage after I decided to share it. I decided it also becouse CircleDock wasn't updated since long time, and seems dead. I want to specify that I didn't take any line of code from CircleDock, becouse it's hard and a waste of time try to understand code made from other programmers, Eric Wong or Mark Hamilton can agree about this.
At the end, also if they share the same pie style of menu, they have a different approach to organize and display things, so I will say that both fit the needs on different kind of people (at the end it's worth for the end users!)
I'll keep continue developing CianoDock in the way I always wanted a dock has to be for me. I'll not go to far adding stuff and stuff cuz lot's of projects that do this always loose the original point about the project was intended to. My base features are:
the size, space and memory
the speed, to load the software and interface
the easy usage and fast and direct access
and last but not least EYECANDY!

p.s. if you realize, between version 0.3 and 0.3.5 I decimate the space from almost 10 mb of downloading to 5mb this becouse I'm very picky about save resources.

Hope my english was good enought to explain my thoughts.
Cheer for CircleDock !  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:05 AM by ciano »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 05:09 AM »
Welcome to the site Luciano - CianoDock looks very cool  :Thmbsup:

One thing i've learned about software is that there's plenty of room for lots of different implementations of any idea, and we can welcome them all -- everyone has different preferences and a different focus.  Nice to have you post here and welcome to the site, and congratulations on a nice application  :up:

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Luciano spero di non averti offeso, non era mia intenzione. Seguo anche io il tuo progetto con interesse e il mio "peccato" era riferito al fatto che ci sono idee di entrambi i software che mi piacciono e sarebbe bello fossero integrate/scambiate tra loro. Sono anche io un programmatore (anche se sono specializzato in java e jess) ed in effetti poco prima che Mark ampliasse Circle Dock avevo scaricato il codice sorgente per mettervi mano ma e' arrivato prima lui anche perche' dedico la maggiorparte delle energie ad un mio progetto. Mark e' molto preparato e capace percio' mi sono limitato a chiedere qualche miglioria e a segnalare qualche bug e cercare qualche sfondo cosi' sono incappato in CianoDock. Rileggendo ora il mio post infatti non ho reso in inglese cio' che pensavo percio' ti chiedo scusa se ti ho offeso.
Ciao e buon lavoro

ciano

• Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Rigel: Guarda che non mi sono offeso, so cosa intendevi dire! anzi ti devo confessare che ho interpretato male cio che Markham ha scritto! Avevo interpretato malamente...del tipo "è un suo lavoro originale non si basa sul codice di CircleDock ma dice che è un'idea originale"  :P   e questo dopo aver letto il titolo della webpage che dice "C'è solo un vero Circle Dock e l'hai trovato". Allora volevo solo mettere delle cose in chiaro. Come ho scritto, io ero in cerca di una dock circolare e quando vidi Orbit fui entusiasmato ma non era per me usabile. Poi è venuto CircleDock ed ero veramente gasato e lo usato per un pò. Ma dopo diverso tempo di utilizzo, aggiungendo e aggiungendo link, sinceramente era un pò lentino, passava un secondo abbondante prima che mi visualizzava i link del gruppo(anche l'attuale versione ho provato ha lo stesso problema). Poi ogni volta che volevo tornare al menu principale dovevo schiacciare sul centro...insomma per me era lento il meccanismo (magari per altri va bene) e quindi una volta per tutte ho deciso di fare una dock proprio come volevo io e così è nato CianoDock. Attualmente lo sto riscrivendo per ottimizzarlo e renderlo più veloce e aggiungendo qualche altra cosina.
Comunque io principalmente sono un grafico che si diletta nella programmazione, e quindi per me le cose devono essere dirette e veloci, devono apparire nel momento giusto, belle e animate e che non devono mangiare molta memoria...arrrgh lo so lo so, chiedo troppo! ma ci sto provando...
Hai scritto che man mano consigliavi delle idee su come migliorare la dock, sarei felice se potessi farlo anche per la mia!
Riguardo a unire i progetti, si potrebbe fare ma bisognerebbe riscriverli da zero e bisogna vedere se le idee non sono in contrasto, e comunque i 2 progetti sono oramai molto avviati.

Mouser: Thanks for your welcome and for compliments- :Thmbsup: Anyway yes, everyone build lots of Docks following their own idea and this is great becouse there were lot's of kind of people !
Anyway I wanna say sorry to the forum if I answer the first part in italian!  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:32 AM by ciano »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06 AM »
First of all, if you and Rigel wish to converse in Italian, could you please do it off the Forum, by means of PMs or email. Thanks!

ma dice che è un'idea originale"
"but it says it is an original idea"

When Circle Dock was first released, some 3 years ago, taken as a whole it was a unique idea and the program remains the original Circular Dock for Windows. It is true that Orbit Dock pre-dates Circle Dock but it was severely lacking in features, buggy and abandoned.

"C'è solo un vero Circle Dock e l'hai trovato".
"There is only one true Circle Dock and you found it."

Yes and we stand by that statement for reasons given above.

You go on to say that you've tried and don't like the manner in which the program operates. That's fair enough and I commend you for writing a program that works the way you want it. However, in defence of Circle Dock, I'm bound to say that with one download every second, "our" way must have some popular appeal

Hai scritto che man mano consigliavi delle idee su come migliorare la dock, sarei felice se potessi farlo anche per la mia!
You wrote that you have suggested ideas on how to improve the dock, I would be happy if I could do it for mine!

Yes, well he might - but not on this Forum please!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:13 AM by Markham »

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Excuse me, Mark I write in Italian becouse my language have many shadings and we must tell precisely and in this case I need to excuse in case of misunderstanding. I ask to all forum users to excuse me for italian post problem and I pray the two programmer to not start a useless quarrel, the past is the past and we interest in the future. CD e CianoDock are different, "same" shape but different in the way they operate, we can see at the antipodes. Excuse me Ciano, I already try your circulare dock but is too far from my ideas and suggestions, I say this not to express position pro or versus an application but for my internal operation mode of my mind.
Peace,
   Rigel

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I can cope with posts in Italian, even if it does mean having to take them to Google, although English is certainly easier for me.
I do agree with Mark that when Circle Dock was first released it was pretty much unique as a functioning idea.

ciano

• Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Ok, I don't want to discuss that, I came in peace!  :Thmbsup: I wanna say sorry again if I wrote in italian.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Sig. Lucinao, Saluti  :D
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and Circle Dock.

I have reviewed your software, and I must say I am impressed. Well done  :Thmbsup:
Some honest Competition for Circle Dock, and freshly programmed.
This is not some Circle Dock copy cat, knock off, it is a fresh concept, and I thank you for your programming of it.

I am excited by the alternative you have presented. I am faithfully loyal to Circle Dock, but I acknowledge that your concept has great potential.
Do not stop.
Keep your program running and alive.
What you have created is excellent in concept and form.
Keep developing and make CianoDock all in can be and more  8)

Based on one of your statements I am compelled to now add a gallery for the current collection of Backgrounds.
Let me see what I can work up  :Thmbsup:

I hope from time to time you will visit with us here at the Circle Dock forums, and am grateful that you have attended us here.
I am actually happy: Most programmers would come in here and Flame the site, the software, and anything else in their path.
You have shown us that this is not necessary, and I thank you for it.
You have set the example  :)
Grazie  :greenclp:

I am curious to see where CianoDock will go  :tellme:
I will be watching with great anticipation.
Have fun with your programming  :Thmbsup:

Regards
The Sarge

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:47 PM by sgtevmckay »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Now to address any miss understandings about the wikidot main site

Markham knows, better than I, just how many copies of our Beloved VIP's code are being redistributed at a price, and worse without proper credit to Mr. Wong.

The injustice has put us both in a fury.

To top it Off: I received an e-mail from an individual, who wanted to know who I had stolen the code from!?!!
To say the least: I was insulted  >:(

I have spent over a year supporting Circle Dock, and any one who spends any time here, knows this (so in this respect I am preaching to the crowd).
I resolved at that moment to let folks know that the Circle Dock we represent here is the Original.
Maybe not original in complete concept, but remains the one and only original Circle Dock.
VIP made certain to explicitly give concept credit on the Main wikidot site, and this information remains on the front page, as I felt that this is what VIP would have me do.

In my statement I intended no disrespect to any originals, but as a smack to the face of folks that have corrupted Eric Wong's original code to their personal ends.
Apparently there are folks out there charging up to $40.00 for what in all actuality is Circle Dock with maybe a fix or two, and no real programming effort has been done to improve the program!
If there are any that can dispute this...I welcome your commentary to support your position.

So on VIP's, Markham's, DonationCoder.com's, and my behalf, I say to you emphatically:
There is only one true Circle Dock and you have found it!!! Welcome

Ultimately this statement will be changed at some point in the future.
I generally do this with a new release.

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Wait.... People are charging for software that isn't even theirs! That isn't just wrong it's completely disrespectful.

As for circle dock and ciano dock, it is good to see programmers of 2 different softwares get along that ought to be commended. :)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Agreed  :Thmbsup:

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 05:51 PM »
I am astounded. Man like this are the shame of all mankind.
Hurrah CircleDock the real and only one CircleDock, and Hurrah CianoDock a new concept of a great idea.

p.s. sgtevmckay you are a Writer and a diplomatist, the best word in best context. Thanks

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Well said!  :up:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26 PM »
p.s. sgtevmckay you are a Writer and a diplomatist, the best word in best context. Thanks

Oooh...you embarrass me friend  :-[  8)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Thanks to some Internet wizards of my acquaintance, we've discovered no fewer than four versions of Circle Dock that are being charged for. As they all appear to have been made from the same set of source code (Eric Wong's last release), the site owners will be contacted and asked to remove those programs and, if necessary, DMCA "Take Down" notices will be issued.

Unfortunately such action may be fruitless for two reasons. Firstly, the cloned programs are hosted in countries where "Copyright" is just a word in the dictionary and, secondly, since neither I nor the Sarge is named "Eric Wong" they could question our authority.

We have also discovered sites where downloaders are charged to obtain the product. Unfortunately there is little we can do about that as it is permitted under the terms of the current License. The problem is, though, that people who have paid-for a program have greater expectations with regard to support. I have news for them: if you have paid to download Circle Dock then, sorry, but you have no greater rights to support than anyone else.

Mark