topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Someone needs to expand our WikiPedia article  (Read 10619 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Someone needs to expand our WikiPedia article
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:40 PM »
I noticed this about 2 weeks ago while at school, browsing for info on DC (school project). The DonationCoder page at WikiPedia is a mere two (you could argue three) paragraphs, we don't have any image (Cody or anything), and I really think it would be beneficial to have an elaborate set of information out on WP.

I would offer to do it (or just do it myself), but IMHO I don't believe I know that much about DC's background and whatnot (more of a job for mouser or someone else that has been here since "way back when"). There is a lot that goes on here that I don't pay enough attention to, to be honest. I don't want to look like an idiot posting incorrect information :-[

Just pointing it out, hoping someone can find the time to fill in some more info.

URL: http://en.wikipedia....g/wiki/Donationcoder

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Someone needs to expand our WikiPedia article
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Looks like it could use some info about NANY. :)

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I would help but i suck at editing.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:28 PM »
I've given DC as a reference for a variety of software. Software that is here as well as discussed and reviewed.

I don't know if that would qualify as a DC wikipedia paragraph.
It would have to be in the third person or something.

And on that note, I'd like to see more software discussed and reviewed. Certainly can't cover them all but what one has experience with.
(I am telling myself also, as I would like to post a review of some software, but have not taken the time.....yet)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Thing is if you're involved with the organisation isn't it bad practice to edit your own articles?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Thing is if you're involved with the organisation isn't it bad practice to edit your own articles?

I think they dont actually mind but they are a bit obsessive about giving third party references as sources of your info (I guess it's the only way they can "believe" info - but it is a bit of a messy situation at same time).
IIRC the article abut SQLNotes got removed because of a lack there.

I'm sure Donationcoder and events like NANY here are well linked to from other sites
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:24 AM »

I think they dont actually mind but they are a bit obsessive about giving third party references as sources of your info (I guess it's the only way they can "believe" info - but it is a bit of a messy situation at same time).
IIRC the article abut SQLNotes got removed because of a lack there.

I'm sure Donationcoder and events like NANY here are well linked to from other sites

Perhaps it would be better if DC set up its own wiki and let Wikipedia point to it as an external link?

That way DC would have complete control over what was on its wiki, and also sidestep some of the nonsense Wikipedia feels it needs to put people through trying to keep everyone honest.

Just a thought. :)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:29 AM by 40hz »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:39 AM »
I sort of agree with 40hz but IMO outside of wikipedia, I rarely check another site's wiki mostly because you're never too sure how much content it has and by the time you do, you've already found that specific content you were looking for in that wiki and there's no point in browsing the other contents anymore.

I think in the long run it's better to just create a downloadable FAQ and have it linked to Wikipedia and the DC homepage. That way you at least have a formatted document rather than an unbrowsable history of random things you're not really sure you want to read.

Edit: This is also a good way of letting the actual dedicated wikipedians do all the work of working through the system. Just sprinkle the FAQ download into the Wikipedia reference and have them argue what's notable or non-notable in the discussion page and then sit back and relax in the thought of knowing that whatever content they argue on, the full details is still there for anyone to read.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:42 AM by Paul Keith »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:36 AM »

I agree. But i don't mind editing it anyway.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 01:54 PM »
I am currently reading The World and Wikipedia: How We are Editing Reality and it has interested me in trying my hand at a little Wikipedia editing.

So, I have had a look at DCs wikipedia entry, and added a couple of notes to the discussion page.

Would be ideal if a few other DCers felt like collaborating and together we could start improving the page.

Update: DonationCoder's entry has been challenged and is proposed for deletion (in 7 days time!). The charge is "Web content with no indication of notability".

I'd like to think that the DC site, software and community are notable, but to be in the encyclopedia we need to demonstrate it by citing references from external sources.

Of course this is all my fault! By interacting with the existing page, it has been flagged to an admin, who has set the clock ticking! Ooops :(

Any volunteers? Head over to the discussion page and let's get going![/color]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:56 PM by Ampa »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Of course this is all my fault! By interacting with the existing page, it has been flagged to an admin, who has set the clock ticking!

Ironic isn't it? Ugh sometimes life is confusing.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:55 PM »
I may be wrong but their referencing system is a bit dubious to say the least - I got involved in debate a while back about another page and just got totally frustrated & gave up.

Is there a way to search (bing google whoever) for "donationcoder" but to exclude this whole site?
That way we could throw in a few external links, might help
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I may be wrong but their referencing system is a bit dubious to say the least - I got involved in debate a while back about another page and just got totally frustrated & gave up.

Is there a way to search (bing google whoever) for "donationcoder" but to exclude this whole site?
That way we could throw in a few external links, might help

Ive just actually spent about 30 minutes searching for any decent 'backlinks' to DC, but couldn't find a reliable enough source to be honest, its unlikely that you can hit Google with a 'DC' search, whilst excluding any domains with donationcoder.com in them, seems like a good idea, but unsure its actually possible.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 03:20 PM »
http://www.google.co...%3Adonationcoder.com might work. Maybe we'll find more references in our own DB though: there are numerous posts saying where DC has been mentioned in an article.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26 PM »
I read a bit and found out that for the stage of deletion that the page was in, all that was needed was for someone to object and remove the tag.  I also added links to LifeHacker, since reference by a notable site is one way to become notable.  This was just a quick edit- adding references to some of the sites that cover NANY or DonationCoder in general (or the articles, like the interview with David Allen) would help if someone then tries to challenge it and take it through the whole deletion process.  I have a watch on the page also, so it will notify me if someone changes it to hopefully catch any attempts to change the status of the page.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Thanks!

I often link to this article i wrote when i want to explain DonationCoder in such cases:
https://www.donation...icles/One/index.html
I think this is already linked to on our wikipedia page, i just mention it in case it's useful to point out to someone.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:35 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I think it might also be worth thinking about the fact that anyone who is considering adding to the wikipedia page of a site they are part of, has to be really wary of posting something that might be viewed by others as self-promotion.

Because there is so much spamming and attempts to game the system and do underhanded marketing on the internet, sites like wikipedia are patroled by people with good intentions and hair triggers just looking for the slightest excuse to remove a page.