topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3672625 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #6025 on: April 02, 2021, 01:29 AM »
I've been watching a lot of LockPickingLawyer's videos on picking various locks. But today's video was a doozy!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6026 on: April 02, 2021, 12:22 PM »
I've been watching a lot of LockPickingLawyer's videos on picking various locks. But today's video was a doozy!

;D

Since you like lock picking videos...

Once upon a time, way back before Learnable focused solely on web development (and later became SitePoint Premium), and allowed anyone that had a video course on just about any topic to offer it for sale on their platform, there was a competitive lock picker that uploaded a course on basic lock picking. A copy of this course is still on SitePoint's servers, and occasionally gets shared to our slack channel, so that we never forget this guy. We often wish that web developers could make their video courses with the same level of enthusiasm as him.

He eventually uploaded the full course to Youtube, so the whole world is now able to enjoy it, for free.

https://www.youtube....t=PL66CD42F86F3A1F85

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6027 on: April 03, 2021, 12:04 AM »
Funny inflatable pool inside swimming pool.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]    Pool 1 + Pool 2 = Outdoor Waterbed.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Funny inflatable pool inside swimming pool

Pool 1 + Pool 2 = Outdoor Waterbed

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6028 on: April 03, 2021, 12:09 AM »
He eventually uploaded the full course to Youtube, so the whole world is now able to enjoy it, for free.

Thanks for that. I just watched the whole thing. I learned something. :Thmbsup:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6029 on: April 04, 2021, 09:40 PM »
I think you should have put it in Interesting stuff. It doesn't seem to be very silly.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6030 on: April 13, 2021, 01:59 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6031 on: April 22, 2021, 11:18 AM »
No pool_ no problem.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

No pool? no problem

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6032 on: April 24, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Tiny helicopter on mars.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Tiny helicopter on mars

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6033 on: April 25, 2021, 02:21 AM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]Tiny helicopter on mars

They screwed up, the rotors should be contra-rotating.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6034 on: April 26, 2021, 02:51 PM »
DSC02573.JPGsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Seen outside my local Walmart on a lift.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6035 on: May 04, 2021, 02:22 PM »
Okay, I just gotta ask:

WinRAR.jpg

Why does everyone seem to rip on WinRAR?!?

I've been using it for years, and never had a problem with it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6036 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25 PM »
I think it's the fact that it lost the competition a while ago to a lot of people's estimation.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6037 on: May 04, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Why does everyone seem to rip on WinRAR?!?

I've been using it for years, and never had a problem with it.
-Stoic Joker (May 04, 2021, 02:22 PM)

I don't think the joke is that WinRAR is bad software. I think the joke is that everybody uses (or has used) it, but nobody has purchased a license.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6038 on: May 05, 2021, 05:40 AM »
but nobody has purchased a license

Well damn, I guess I should frame mine then..

I think it's the fact that it lost the competition a while ago to a lot of people's estimation.

I must have missed that (competition thing). But I'm old; take naps; might have slept through it...or forgot. I don't even remember why WinZip annoys(/ed) me.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6039 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59 PM »
I don't even remember why WinZip annoys(/ed) me.
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2021, 05:40 AM)

it was probably a long list (poor compression, no compatibility, very basic functionality, etc etc etc)  ;D ;D

IMHO WinRAR was a tool that was far ahead of the competition (great compression, multi format compatibility, great functionality, etc etc) though that gap has closed considerably (and it only took a couple of decades!)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6040 on: May 05, 2021, 11:13 PM »
If you are the impression that WinRAR has great compression, you really haven't tried other compressors. WinRAR's saving grace is when you distribute multi-part archives and you have a need to create par files to reconstruct broken parts of this multi-part archive. That is more or less the only thing that WinRAR does right. But with internet as it is, how often is that functionality necessary? In the days of 33k and 56k modems, that was repair functionality was handy, nowadays it takes less time to download an archive, check it against a hash and re-download it in case the hash check fails. Repairing multi-part rar archives didn't go always ok either.

Compared with zip archives, rar archives can be significantly smaller. That was what I was always told. Until I actually started testing zip, rar and 7zip. Seriously, rar could compress to 50% of what zip could do. Which is good, don't get me wrong. 7zip reduced file-sizes till 25% of the rar results. When you have data-files several gigs in size, then you really see how good 7zip is. And no, it hardly takes longer to create or extract these archives either. You are more bound to the write capabilities of the drive you extract the archive on, than 7zip itself being slow.

There are even more specific compressors out there which do an even better job than 7zip can, but creation and extraction of archives made with these compressors does take significantly longer.

For my use case way back when, 7zip saved me hours per week. Made lots of scripts that do the automatic archiving and extracting and it still saves me almost 30 minutes each time I need to create a build, pull that to my side of the ocean, extract it and push it through a significant battery of regression tests, all without manual interaction. For a piece of freeware, 7zip is practically like gold. As example: each build is about 2 GByte in size, 7zip creates a 200 to 250 MByte archive from such a build, with WinRAR I'm already happy if the archive is 600 MByte. The extra 5 to 10 seconds it takes to create and extract these 7zip archives vanish like a snowball in hell when the transfer (and verification) time is 10 minutes for the 7zip archive and more than 40 minutes with rar archives.

Archives are part of a strategy/procedure being employed for whatever your reason may have. And there are gains to be had when taking a good look at the whole strategy/procedure. Zip is the most conveinient archiver, but that one won't win you the race. Neither does rar, but that one shows a decent effort. 7zip really is much better especially if you have it dialed in.

The above has nothing to do with silly humor, so here is my contribution:
no.hill.for.jack.or.jill.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6041 on: May 06, 2021, 04:32 AM »
WinRAR was a good product when I used it in the mid 90's, vastly superior to the generally available options of the time IIRC.  FWIW I've been using 7Z since and agree it's at least as good (I even advocated strongly for the business to use it instead of persisting with WinZip)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6042 on: May 06, 2021, 08:01 PM »
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip

File Formats
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip – Supported File Formats
7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip all support RAR, ZIP, 7Z and some other archive file formats.

7-Zip: Support packing and unpacking 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM file formats. But only support unpacking RAR, AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z file formats.

WinRAR: RAR, ZIP, 7Z, CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZ2, Z, GZ, JAR, LZ, XZ, ZIPX, OO1.

WinZip: ZIP, ZIPX, RAR, 7Z, CAB, TAR, GZip, ISO, Z, XZ, LZH, BZ2, VHD, VMDX.

Compression Rate
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip – Compression Rate and File Size
As for the compression rate and the output file size, 7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip don’t differ too much. But the output format you choose can make a difference.

For instance, when you choose .zipx format rather than .zip format when using WinZip for file compression. The ZIPX format has a higher compression ratio than ZIP. If you choose 7Z format instead of ZIP format using 7-Zip to compress files, 7Z format would have a much higher compression ratio than ZIP format.

Based on test, to compress 1.5 GB of video files, 7-Zip delivers the highest compression rate, WinRAR comes as the second, while WinZip provides a compression ratio that is about 6% lower than 7-Zip. But if you choose the advanced compression format .zipx when using WinZip, its compression ratio is almost the same with 7-Zip.

Conclusion
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip – Conclusion
By comparing 7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip above, all of these three top file compression software can do a good job in file packing and unpacking. If you want a totally free file compressor and get the smallest file size, 7-Zip may be a good choice.

Both 7-Zip and WinRAR are the best in compression. But their default formats 7Z and RAR are not fully supported on other operating systems. If you want to open 7Z or RAR files on non-Windows systems, you need to download and install the compatible software first. On the contrary, WinZip file can be opened on various systems with its own application.

Therefore, to choose 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, it depends on you.

Just mentioned it to clear things up, or was posting a result of "7-Zip is 75% better than WinZip" a joke that belong in here?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6043 on: May 06, 2021, 09:50 PM »
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip
Compression Rate
7-Zip vs WinRAR vs WinZip – Compression Rate and File Size
As for the compression rate and the output file size, 7-Zip, WinRAR and WinZip don’t differ too much. But the output format you choose can make a difference.

For instance, when you choose .zipx format rather than .zip format when using WinZip for file compression. The ZIPX format has a higher compression ratio than ZIP. If you choose 7Z format instead of ZIP format using 7-Zip to compress files, 7Z format would have a much higher compression ratio than ZIP format.

Based on test, to compress 1.5 GB of video files, 7-Zip delivers the highest compression rate, WinRAR comes as the second, while WinZip provides a compression ratio that is about 6% lower than 7-Zip. But if you choose the advanced compression format .zipx when using WinZip, its compression ratio is almost the same with 7-Zip.

Just mentioned it to clear things up, or was posting a result of "7-Zip is 75% better than WinZip" a joke that belong in here?
[/quote]

Not a joke at all. And I wouldn't have mentioned those results if I had not been able to do so myself, about 3 to 4 times a week. If the person from the article you quoted couldn't reach those results, he/she didn't play enough with the available settings. In any of the archivers. By all means, play around with dictionary sizes and word sizes inside these archivers. And a whole new world will open to you.

And why did that person choose video files for compression? If there is one type of file that always delivers negligible compression results, it is video. And MP3 files too. If you wish to compress video files significantly, try different (re-)encoding them with a different codec, such as the x265 codec.  Sure, the encoded file may not play anymore on your Smart TV directly (if it only supports the x264/H264 codec), but play just fine with VLC/PotPlayer/Media Player Classic/GOMPlayer/etc. on your desktop/laptop and you will hardly see any difference watching a video file that is 600 MByte (x265) and its original of 2,4 GByte (x264). No archiver will come close to those results.

Files such as database dump files, log files (for auditing purposes/troubleshooting) etc., these file-types are very much compressible. Database dump files I encounter on a daily basis of 20+ Gigabytes each, compressing these with 7zip and ending up with an archive of each that is around 400 MByte. On rare occasions even less. Neither zip or rar are able to come close.

It's no skin of my back if you choose to disregard though. After all, if you are happy with your solution, more power to you.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6044 on: May 07, 2021, 12:01 AM »
Hello Friend!

Not a joke at all. And I wouldn't have mentioned those results if I had not been able to do so myself, about 3 to 4 times a week.
I did not attack your experience with your custom data-set, if I would attack anything at all (what I am not doing) than its the "75% better than that"-thing, that if at all, would only be valid by your usage, not global.
I also compressed alot in my life and I also most often use 7-Zip, WinRAR is also installed on my system, depend on my need I choose one of them. (yes, with custom setting for each purpose)
I respect your opinion as your personal experience for your filetype!

If you want to know wich archiver compresses best IMHO = kgb and/or uharc.

I did not posted Author link earlier because Site is full of ads.
Too bad, they removed compression results, i guess due too many possible settings.
I do not find any resource that say 7zip 75% better. <- just another random one to ease my statements.

...he/she didn't play enough with the available settings. In any of the archivers. By all means, play around with dictionary sizes and word sizes inside these archivers. And a whole new world will open to you.
But that is exactly my point why I have put the quotes up. Using different algorithms with different settings end in different results.
You did found for your filetype a very good setting that beat WinZIP (I guess standard setting) by 75%, be proud of it! (really no sarcasm, i mean it peaceful)

And why did that person choose video files for compression?
Because video files are hard to compress due their high entropy level I would say. (Using files that are easy to compress, where is the competition? <- no real question, just a thought)

It's no skin of my back if you choose to disregard though. After all, if you are happy with your solution, more power to you.
What solution? Did I mention something accidently? I am full on your side, 7-Zip is awesome! (but also WinRAR and WinZIP is aswell.)
As mentioned, I do respect your opinion, but that is in no way a global rule that 7-Zip is "always" 75% better.

Hey its friday, lets dance

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6045 on: May 07, 2021, 09:42 AM »
I never dance, unless Tequila tells me to...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6046 on: May 09, 2021, 12:10 AM »
I never dance, unless Tequila tells me to...
-Stoic Joker (May 07, 2021, 09:42 AM)

TEQUILA!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6047 on: May 12, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Just 52 Pictures That Prove Librarians are Actually the Funniest People in the World.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Just 52 Pictures That Prove Librarians are Actually the Funniest People in the World

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6048 on: May 19, 2021, 03:02 PM »
How about "Essence of body odor" spray for women who don't want to smell too attractive while shopping.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6049 on: May 19, 2021, 11:24 PM »
If you are what you eat, then the only true human beings are cannibals.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:38 PM by Deozaan »