topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)  (Read 689501 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Trout (audio player)
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Could you support AMR files ?
It's a format used by cell phones to record voice

Hi, kilele.  Trout uses the BASS library which doesn't support the AMR format.  Apologies.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #651 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I have decided to have only Filename checked. I pushed a vertical line to the right so it is aligned with Trout border line. When I drag and drop a file into it, border moves to the left again.
Can I prevent that?

Do you have the following checked?: Menu > View > Auto-justify columns on load

Thanx. it works now.

Just two question more and then I will stop pestering you:
Did you ever played with idea that you would put stop, forward, etc. buttons in one line at the bottom of Trout and volume beside it like in movie players like Kmplayer, PotPlayer etc.?
Could you make stop, forward, etc. buttons colorless (without black color inside)? The first thing I notice in Trout when I open it are the buttons  :D (they are too big anyway - even for person with glasses like me  :D).

Keep up with good work and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:40 PM by panzer »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #652 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40 PM »
What are colorless buttons?

I like the current size and layout of the buttons.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #653 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57 AM »
Just without or with not so strong black color in them. I prefer Foobar buttons - they are smaller and they don't pop in your eyes everytime you open Trout.

I know they say that bigger is better, but they could be smaller (I remember skwire said that they cannot be resized by user). At least I think so.

But never mind that, I prefer Minibar anyway.  :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:51 AM by panzer »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #654 on: February 05, 2011, 10:46 PM »
Did you ever played with idea that you would put stop, forward, etc. buttons in one line at the bottom of Trout and volume beside it like in movie players like Kmplayer, PotPlayer etc.?

Oddly enough, no, I never did.

Could you make stop, forward, etc. buttons colorless (without black color inside)? The first thing I notice in Trout when I open it are the buttons  :D (they are too big anyway - even for person with glasses like me  :D).

I've always had plans to allow Trout users to specify their own glyphs to use for those buttons.  I've just never gotten around to implementing it.  I know mouser (and others) will back me when I say this but sometimes, when writing applications, certain features & additions get pushed aside because the writing the user interface for it is ten times the work that writing the actual feature is.  This is one of those cases.  To that end, I should be able to add in basic colour options for the glyphs (they're actually Webdings fonts) on those buttons.  This way, you can mute the black to whatever colour you want.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:12 AM by skwire »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #655 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17 PM »
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?  I would really like one...soon  ;D .  My ipad is not a reliable alarm clock because of the way it handles background apps, and nobody has made a good jailbreak app for an alarm that runs in the background well.  Anyway, I'm planning on getting a netbook with Windows 7 and using it as an alarm clock.  I'm now looking at the different mp3 players and seeing which ones have alarm clock functionality (any suggestions anyone?).  But I'd figured I'd throw in my suggestion to you since I already know I like using Trout.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #656 on: February 13, 2011, 10:26 PM »
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?

Nope, I hadn't planned on adding this.  If you just want an alarm clock app that will play an MP3, I'm sure there are a myriad out there.  If you can't find one you like, I'll consider writing one for you.   :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #657 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01 PM »
skwire, I know a user mentioned adding an alarm clock feature to trout.  Is this still planned?

Nope, I hadn't planned on adding this.  If you just want an alarm clock app that will play an MP3, I'm sure there are a myriad out there.  If you can't find one you like, I'll consider writing one for you.   :D
I've probably spent a good 10-20 hours searching for one in the past year alone.  There's nothing that's all that great.  The best one i've come across is Alarm Clock Pro, which is primarily a Mac application, but the Windows version works well also.  The only problem is the way it handles playlists, which is the main thing that I'm looking for, and the reason why I haven't found any that can do it.  I think if you did one, it would be a fantastic idea.  Just as a preview, I'll give the basics of what I think it should be able to do:

Most alarm clock software can play a chime or something, that's easy.  Where they all fail is their handling of playlists, since it gets complicated once you start considering that the alarm software is not necessarily a music player.  So does it launch another player?  That's what most of them do, but the problem there is that you lose the snooze functionality.  The alarm program can't snooze another software, but it can snooze it's own built in chimes or other wave files.  That's why most of the programs out there suck, they haven't gone the extra length to handle snoozing of playlists. So they either have no playlist functionality or they do, but there's no snooze.  This is key to what I am looking for.
Also, the program should have a shuffle option.  i don't want to wake to the same music in the same order every day, and I don't want to change the order every day.  One option is to let the program launch the music player, like i said, but then how do you snooze it?
The other missing feature in most software is the scheduler for repetitive alarms.  They can all repeat every Friday, but can they repeat every other Friday?  Hmmm, that's the tough one.  To do that, you need to give the user the ability to set up weird repetitive cycles like that.  Alarm Clock Pro can do it in a funky way.  The best way i've seen it is on mylife organized, where the scheduler can be set to repeat "every X days", so if you set it to 14, it's every other Friday.  That's what I'm talking about.  i can post screenshots of all of these things if it will help.
So that's what it comes down to.  The distinguishing features are:
playlist support
shuffle feature
snooze capability for playlists
flexible repeat alarm scheduler (must cover all possibilities)

How's that?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #658 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24 PM »
[...]
How's that?

Waaaay out of scope of what I was thinking.   :huh:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #659 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35 AM »
[...]
How's that?

Waaaay out of scope of what I was thinking.   :huh:
What could I do to make it worth your while?

Also, consider this:  you've already made trout, so all the playlist and music playing functionality is created.  So the things to add would be the scheduling options and the snooze.  I don't know how hard that is, but to me it sounds easier than the music player part, which is done and already very nice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:37 AM by superboyac »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #660 on: February 14, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Also, consider this:  you've already made trout, so all the playlist and music playing functionality is created.  So the things to add would be the scheduling options and the snooze.  I don't know how hard that is, but to me it sounds easier than the music player part, which is done and already very nice.

I won't be adding alarm functionality to Trout as I like tools that do one thing and, hopefully, do it well.  As for an alarm clock app, I simply don't want to get tied up in a huge amount of options in regards to scheduling (which there can and will be).  In regards to programming, it's a right pain in the arse to try and handle all potential types of scenarios when it comes to time and schedules.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #661 on: February 14, 2011, 06:09 PM »

I won't be adding alarm functionality to Trout as I like tools that do one thing and, hopefully, do it well.  As for an alarm clock app, I simply don't want to get tied up in a huge amount of options in regards to scheduling (which there can and will be).  In regards to programming, it's a right pain in the arse to try and handle all potential types of scenarios when it comes to time and schedules.
heh heh, you must be right.  There are dozens of alarm programs out there, and they ALL take the easy way out.  Just about every single one of them.  I should just stop trying to find one, it's just wasting my time.

I also agree with you about keeping your tools distinct.  As a general rule of thumb, I've noticed very strongly that as additional, unrelated features are added to a software, it loses a lot of the appealing aspects that it once had.  I don't even mean just the bloat of it.  I've noticed that what usually happens is developers keep adding and adding features, but they fail to fix minor issues here and there that last for years.  But I like the way you do it, and the way you've been developing Trout.  You fix every little thing that is buggy, and you carefully add a feature here and there, it's a great method.  I really respect it.  And it's evident in the product.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #662 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Website | Installer | Portable
v1.0.5 build 30 - 2011-02-14
    + Added "Save playlist" to hotkey-able actions.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #663 on: February 15, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Skwire, would the option Shut down Trout after x minutes be useful? For those who want to sleep in the afternoon with the help of music but do not want that after they fell asleep Trout playes on?

Yes, I know what you gonna say: just put 2, 3 songs in the playlist.  :D True, what can I say?

If this would be achievable, it would be good for those which listen music before they go to sleep in the evening to add to option I mentioned before an option that if that option is checked, then after Trout's shut down shut down (or at least put in hibernation) the comp as well so the music won't play all night.

If you find my idea stupid, please don't answer.  :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:10 PM by panzer »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #664 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Skwire, would the option Shut down Trout after x minutes be useful? For those who want to sleep in the afternoon with the help of music but do not want that after they fell asleep Trout playes on?

Trout currently has a "Pause track after # minutes idle."  Is this good enough?

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #665 on: February 15, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Yup. Sorry. I haven't seen it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #666 on: February 15, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Trout currently has a "Pause track after # minutes idle."  Is this good enough?
Ok, skwire!  Now we are getting close!  Ok ok...is it possible to invoke the command indicated above using commandline arguments?  The software I mentioned, Alarm++, has the flexibility to do what I want with the snooze, I just need the player to be able to play nice with the program.  Here's the screen to configure the launching of Trout:
screenshot_20110215141739.png

So how can we configure this so that the program launches trout with a specific playlist on shuffle, AND it has to pause after 9 minutes?  In that screenshot, it could be configured like so:
Open: trout.exe
Arguments: /play

Will that work?  Here are the issues I see.  I can see the program being launched the first time the alarm runs.  Good.  Now, let's say the track gets paused after 9 minutes, and one minute later (10-minute snooze) the alarm rings again, what argument is going to unpause the player?  Is it going to launch another player?  Is that going to work?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #667 on: February 15, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Open: trout.exe
Arguments: /play

Trout can already do this.  Here are the switches it supports:

/play, /stop, /next, /prev, /mute, /clipboard, /clearlist

Sending a /play while it's playing will result in a pause (acts as a toggle).  Trout is single-instance only so no worries about it launching two...unless you're running the second Trout from a different directory.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #668 on: February 15, 2011, 05:12 PM »
OK thanks!  I knew my answer was in Trout somewhere.  Excellent work.  I'm going to experiment, and then maybe I'll post about how to have the most perfect alarm clock setup ever created.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #669 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13 AM »
If someone from you use Spider player as a main player (or as a secondary player to Trout), then listen to this: Spider Player Pro is now offered for free from their main site http://spider-player.com/ (look under what's new).

Armoured

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #670 on: February 17, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Hi,
Can you add the DDE support to your player?

Thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #671 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your request.  Can you provide me with more detail, please?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #672 on: February 17, 2011, 01:01 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your request.  Can you provide me with more detail, please?
;D

Armoured

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #673 on: February 18, 2011, 04:21 PM »

DDE = Dynamic Data Exchange
http://msdn.microsof...648711(v=vs.85).aspx

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #674 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40 PM »
DDE = Dynamic Data Exchange
http://msdn.microsof...648711(v=vs.85).aspx

Yes, I know what it is.  What do you want to do with it and Trout?