topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

How will the Earth end?

The expanding Sun engulfs the Earth
11 (15.3%)
A black hole tears the Earth apart
5 (6.9%)
A giant asteroid collision
8 (11.1%)
The galactic magnetic cloud collapses
1 (1.4%)
An alien invasion
6 (8.3%)
Global warming
6 (8.3%)
Eaten by von Neumann machines (Docile robots turn into maniac killers)
5 (6.9%)
Nuclear weapons
11 (15.3%)
Earth's magnetic field reverses, killing us with high radiation
4 (5.6%)
Jesus finally gives up, tells God to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
15 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Last post Author Topic: How will the Earth end?  (Read 61782 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How will the Earth end?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 01:21 AM »
Don't worry, I will open/close the "faucet" to the electricity production plant. so you will see the whole country blinking that way (beats a torch)  ;D

Where is your plane landing, if I may boldly ask?
If it is Sao Paulo International airport, then I wholeheartedly suggest that you book a room in a decent hotel and have one of their cabs pick you up. At night that place is dangerous (because the poorest of the poor live right next to the airport). When I came through that airport a cab drove me to the international bus station. That trip took me right next the "village" (a house there is just a pallet on its side with a piece of plastic)...and I understood why other people warned me to not be in the airport at night.

Hmmm, I could tell you a story about what happened the one time I flew back to Holland, using Sao Paulo I.A. ...but that is too off-topic. But if you (or the BLAZEMONGER Inc "Customer Service" Department) keep bothering me I will tell. :o

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 04:10 AM »
Where is your plane landing, if I may boldly ask?

[Going way OT]
We're flying Buenos Aires to Lima on a extreme whistle-stop tour of Peru before catching an Antartic cruise ship at Santiago.
[/Going way OT]

Damnit!   Just spent the better part of the afternoon reading all those old BLAZEMONGER posts.....
Now I'll have to see if I can get Amiga Forever running on the Aspire One.....the ultimate portable Amiga  8)

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2008, 10:15 AM »
[Going way OT]
We're flying Buenos Aires to Lima on a extreme whistle-stop tour of Peru before catching an Antartic cruise ship at Santiago.
[/Going way OT]

[Staying way OT]
Hey! How long will you stay in BA? Drop by and say hi while you're here if you want  :)
[/Staying way OT]
I'll have what she's having

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28 PM »
[Going way OT]
[/Going way OT]

[Staying way OT]
Hey! How long will you stay in BA? Drop by and say hi while you're here if you want  :)
[/Staying way OT]

It was just going to be overnight, (and only 3km away from Ezeiza - fly in 1100, leave 0930 next day and for that privilege I get to pay for a US$100 visa on arrival - you may be able to pick up on the fact I'm not particularly thrilled with that idea), but unfortunately my passport came back with it's Brazilian Visa in an unheard of 6 working days, (they say a minimum of 10 working days......if you're lucky), and that was Melbourne->Canberra->Melbourne......they must have been bored.

So my wife has now decided she must go to see Iguazu, (personally I'm not bothered, it's just a waterfall....I've seen waterfalls before, no doubt I'll see them again), so it'll possibly end up being: fly in to EZE, transfer to AEP, fly to IGR, stay 2 nights and watch gravity at work, fly to AEP, stay o/n at EZE and then out the next day.

The cruise ship stops at BA on the way back up to Rio but I don't know whether we'll be getting off for the day, (I don't even know if the on-arrival-visa at EZE will allow me to do multiple entry to Argentina).

Attached is the cruise info, (for Santiago -> Rio but you can also do Santiago -> BA for US$400 less).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2008, 03:31 AM »
Fascinating that a thread entitled "How will the Earth end?" becomes a travelogue (and how appropriate;))

Have a great time - sounds like great fun. Try and be brave about the waterfall!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2008, 05:19 AM »
Fascinating that a thread entitled "How will the Earth end?" becomes a travelogue (and how appropriate;))

OK, to bring it back on track:

I wonder if the travel insurance covers the whole of Antartica spontaneously melting and the resultant tidal waves wiping out all mankind below an altitude of 6000 meters?

Have a great time - sounds like great fun. Try and be brave about the waterfall!

Thanks Carol, maybe we'll come and annoy you in 2010 when we're back in the U.K  >:D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I wonder if the travel insurance covers the whole of Antartica spontaneously melting and the resultant tidal waves wiping out all mankind below an altitude of 6000 meters?

Hmmm...I guess that would depend on how they decide to classify global warming.

Is it:

a) an "act of god"
b) a case of human "negligence"
c) just the fallout from a criminal act

Coverage would vary based on the definitions in whatever virtual reality your assurance underwriter dwells in. ;D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2008, 11:01 AM »
or 'eco terrorism'

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2008, 11:20 PM »
Just when this thread was seeming to go back on track, I'm back here to help stray it a bit more ...  :D

Nice trip/cruise, 4wd!  :Thmbsup:
I hope you and your wife enjoy it. And I'm glad that those officials at the Brazilian Consulate were bored enough to grant you your visa in record time  ;D Hopefully you'll enjoy the visit to the Iguazú Falls more than you think. Yes, it's just "gravity at work"  :P, but let me warn you that it's gravity at work BIG TIME:

Upon seeing Iguazu, the United States' First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt reportedly exclaimed "Poor Niagara!"

Anyway, from your planned schedule I guess you'll only stay for a few hours at Buenos Aires, mainly transferring between the two airports, on your first stop here:
so it'll possibly end up being: fly in to EZE, transfer to AEP, fly to IGR, stay 2 nights and watch gravity at work, fly to AEP, stay o/n at EZE and then out the next day.

By the way, sorry about those U$S 100 entrance fee. I didn't know that was applicable to Australians. Apparently they're stating with it on January 2009  :(

for that privilege I get to pay for a US$100 visa on arrival - you may be able to pick up on the fact I'm not particularly thrilled with that idea

The Argentine Consulate in Australia has an explanation about it on their website:

Australian citizens, who are going to Argentina for up to 90 days, do not require a visa when they travel for tourism, business or investment purposes.
However, as of 1st January 2009 Australian citizens will need to pay an entry fee upon arrival in Argentina which is equivalent to the amount Argentine citizens have to pay when applying for an Australian visa (roughly USD100).

From your cruise's brochure it seems that you'll be spending a whole day (Feb 8th) in Buenos Aires. I hope you are able (and willing) to get off the ship and do some tourism here. If those end up being your plans, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you. I'm sending you a PM with my info.

Cheers!

Oh, and about that "End of the Earth" thing ...

It is particularly appropriate since Antarctica has been called "The end of the Earth" many times (but maybe that's what you meant and I'm simply "over-explaining" it ...  :-\)

I'll have what she's having

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2008, 04:36 AM »
Just when this thread was seeming to go back on track, I'm back here to help stray it a bit more ...  :D

Nice trip/cruise, 4wd!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks, there's still inside cabins available, feel free to come along - maybe we can get mouser to donate mugs for the first Antarctic DC meeting  :P

I hope you and your wife enjoy it. And I'm glad that those officials at the Brazilian Consulate were bored enough to grant you your visa in record time  ;D Hopefully you'll enjoy the visit to the Iguazú Falls more than you think. Yes, it's just "gravity at work"  :P, but let me warn you that it's gravity at work BIG TIME:

Don't get me wrong, I like waterfalls.  It's just that I'd rather spend the time/money doing/seeing something I'm not likely to ever do/see again, eg. visiting Tristan da Cunha the most remote inhabited island on the planet - yeah I know, boring by some standards but definitely different.

By the way, sorry about those U$S 100 entrance fee. I didn't know that was applicable to Australians. Apparently they're stating with it on January 2009  :(

Yeah, lucky me - not your or your governments fault though, they're just doing it in retaliation to my government doing it.  Still, I'm generally better off than Americans when it comes to visa fees >:D

From your cruise's brochure it seems that you'll be spending a whole day (Feb 8th) in Buenos Aires. I hope you are able (and willing) to get off the ship and do some tourism here. If those end up being your plans, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you. I'm sending you a PM with my info.

Thanks city_zen!

Oh, and about that "End of the Earth" thing ...

It is particularly appropriate since Antarctica has been called "The end of the Earth" many times (but maybe that's what you meant and I'm simply "over-explaining" it ...  :-\)

Interesting, usually Australia gets referred to as the A**e End Of The Planet  - so metaphorically I guess I'm moving up in the world :Thmbsup:

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 05:54 PM »
I read the thread and maybe I missed it, but...

The end of the Earth?  Hmmmm... only celestial/solar or geological/geothermal cataclysm. 
No other power (even nukes on steroids) could do it. The Earth is simply TOO BIG.  There are certain laws in nature that cannot be superseded.  While the supersonic rush of sub-freezing air masses swirling in from space makes an interesting global-war(n)ming theatrical ("The Day after Tomorrow" movie) it is physically (think: physics) impossible.  First off, since space is a vacuum no force on earth could be strong enough to invoke a terrestial atmospheric low pressure that could override that of space.  Also, the laws that govern the movement of gases states that the temperature of an air mass will change in proportion to the speed of the movement.  Specifically, the faster the air mass would descend from near space (no "air" in space) the faster it would warm up to match the surrounding environment.  You get the idea.  In regard to global warming the same types of laws apply.  While it might have an effect that effect would naturally be limited to its max and then would wane.  Sure, it might be a rough ride, but it would return to equillibrium.  It couldn't be the end.

The end of humanity?  Barring the above, it would seem impossible as no human-induced phenomena could reach every possible remnant.  The actions of humans against humans can not go beyond a "critical mass."  In the aftermath there is a reduced human presence; therefore, a reduced threat.  The fewer the possibilities the fewer the results.  While disasters on a national scale will come so will the reduction of potential as well.  It all stays in balance.

So, when will it all come to an end?

The short answer is,
"... when the last second,
of the last minute,
of the last hour,
of the last day,
of the last week,
of the last month,
of the last year,
of the last decade,
of the last century,
of the last millenia,
of the last eon...

... runs out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:25 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27 AM »
4 pages and thread going on...WOW..  ;D I've to start reading again from where i last replied.... :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2010, 12:50 AM »
k, i know this thread is beyond old (last post 17th jan 2007)...however, its kinda fun, and i just found it, so lets revive it :D

I think the worlds gonna end because ATM (Cash Machines) take over the world, and destroy humans by means of suffocation, caused by insane amounts of receipts.  :eusa_boohoo:

*Bumped as part of my "omg its 7am and I had nothing better to do than search the Living Room archives for something fun to bump for no good reason at all jus to see everyone's reaction" campaign*
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:55 AM by Stephen66515 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2010, 09:19 AM »
If you're a solipsist, the world ends when you do.  :Thmbsup:
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2010, 10:23 AM »
in silence.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I don’t know... Sam and Dean Winchester averted the Apocalypse earlier this year, so..... 

Jim