topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043444 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #450 on: October 18, 2012, 05:32 AM »
@Deo - Gnesa?

How could anyone possibly suspect such a great song - and such amazing vocal and dance talent - as being a parody?

(Was it because there wasn't enough cleavage in it for a Grammy Award?) ;) ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #451 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16 AM »
Don't know if anybody is into classic Berlin School electronic music. But I think Michael Hoenig's 1977 LP Departure from the Northern Wasteland is still one of the best - if not the best - that genre ever produced. (With apologies to all the Tangerine Dream and Ashra fans out there.)

Pleasant and listenable. The perfect "for headphones" meditation or background music.

It was released with two different covers. (I prefer the one with the balloons myself. :up:)

depart1.jpg     Depart2.jpg  

This "video" is just an audio track. You'll have to let your brain generate its own images for this one. Bon Voyage!

8)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18 AM »
 :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2012, 02:49 AM »
Someone please tell me that this is intentionally awful.

It has to be a parody... Right?

Right?

Anyone? :o

but deo, it's lovely :-*
I think you just have to listen a little harder!

How could anyone possibly suspect such a great song - and such amazing vocal and dance talent - as being a parody?

:o :'( :( :-\

I'm so confused! It's definitely awful. I just need to know whether or not it was intended to be so awful.

Please! My faith in humanity rests on the answer to this question! :tellme:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2012, 05:25 AM »
Please! My faith in humanity rests on the answer to this question! :tellme
(literally laughing out loud here)
you're in deep trouble here deo - or should I say humanity's in trouble :-*

sometimes in life we just got to take things as they come,
and watch serenely as they drift on by

:P

Seriously though:
if someone planned this - the raptourous comments, the 750,000 views in 12 days, (your bewilderment :P), - if they planned all this, we gotta take our hats off to them.
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2012, 04:11 PM »
I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that I just can't brain the idea that the creator(s) didn't know just how utterly horrid that video/song is, or the fact that I've really had to restrain myself from watching it again to make sure it really was as bad as I remember it being.

Why!? :'(

Oh, and for the lulz:
Gnesa's Wilder is still a better love story than Twilight. 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: October 20, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Gnesa's Wilder is still a better love story than Twilight. Cool

you mean you listened to the words :tellme:

(I did go back for a second listen, but I haven't heard the whole video ...)
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2012, 06:15 PM »
you mean you listened to the words :tellme:

LALALALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!

Or am I? :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Just saw a video that I rather liked:

Not the normal typical style that I listen to, but a good watch & listen.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Here's an interesting one from both a musical and a historical perspective.

Back in the early 70s, the ABC network hosted a marvelous concert as part of their "Wide World (fill in the blank)" network brand. In this particular instance it was the Wide World in Concert series, and the performance was Cat Stevens and his 1973 Moon and Star concert.

I find it interesting to compare and contrast the young Cat Stevens (as self-confessed seeker of truth) with his current incarnation as Yusuf Islam, a devout convert to Islam who now knows The Truth with absolute certitude.

Interesting...and saddening. But so it goes.

So here's Cat (not Yusuf) performing the full Foreigner Suite, which was the finale of the Moon and Star concert. Listen to the words and see the sheer joy that permeates the song. Then think of the altogether too serious and humorless older man this same musician/songwriter has become since he's...well...just listen.

------------

Note: the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired since it's dubbed off analog video and suffers from the limitations of 70s era recording technology. Not that it really matters. Cat Stevens packs more musical inventiveness and creativity into the seventeen and a half minutes of "Foreigner" than most songwriters generate in their entire career.

This is a performance that hits one of those elusive moments every musician dreams of. The moment where it all just comes together - and a song gets absolutely nailed. Pay special attention to his backup singers. They are stellar - and for some odd reason come through the otherwise muddy sound with remarkable purity. Probably one of the finest live performances ever recorded.

For the best experience (and that authentic 70s "concert sound" ) crank it up! That's how most music was performed back then. Loudly!
 8)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:19 AM by 40hz »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #460 on: November 02, 2012, 03:03 AM »
Here's an interesting one from both a musical and a historical perspective.

Back in the early 70s, the ABC network hosted a marvelous concert as part of their "Wide World (fill in the blank)" network brand. In this particular instance it was the Wide World in Concert series, and the performance was Cat Stevens and his 1973 Moon and Star concert.
Note: the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired since it's dubbed off analog video and suffers from the limitations of 70s era recording technology. Not that it really matters. Cat Stevens packs more musical inventiveness and creativity into the seventeen and a half minutes of "Foreigner" than most songwriters generate in their entire career.

Thanks, this is really magical !
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: November 02, 2012, 03:07 AM »
Don't know if anybody is into classic Berlin School electronic music. But I think Michael Hoenig's 1977 LP Departure from the Northern Wasteland is still one of the best - if not the best - that genre ever produced. (With apologies to all the Tangerine Dream and Ashra fans out there.)

Pleasant and listenable. The perfect "for headphones" meditation or background music.

It was released with two different covers. (I prefer the one with the balloons myself. :up:)

This "video" is just an audio track. You'll have to let your brain generate its own images for this one. Bon Voyage!

Thanks, as an old Tangerine fan it's really great to discover this music.

.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: November 02, 2012, 08:32 AM »
1979. The Shadows and Light Tour. Here's Joni Mitchell in a performance of her song Free Man in Paris accompanied by Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and (the much missed) Jaco Pastorius on bass.

With a band lineup like that nothing further needs be said. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:38 AM by 40hz »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25 PM »
1979. The Shadows and Light Tour. Here's Joni Mitchell in a performance of her song Free Man in Paris accompanied by Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and (the much missed) Jaco Pastorius on bass.

Alas, blocked in France by WMG.  Funny for a song mentioning Paris...
.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: November 02, 2012, 01:26 PM »
^Guess it's not free in Paris huh? ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #465 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11 PM »
I like this song Catgroove by Parov Stelar, and TakeSomeCrime danced really well for it:

And once you've seen that, check out this great wedding dance to the same song:

It's great. But is that a Goatse reference at ~3:10? :o
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:27 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I like this song Catgroove by Parov Stelar, and TakeSomeCrime danced really well for it:

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=twqM56f_cVo

And once you've seen that, check out this great wedding dance to the same song:

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=0nKfBxjN3DI

It's great. But is that a Goatse reference at ~3:10? :o

1) Really great track, really great dancing :-*
2) Brilliant wedding dance :D
3) Re 3:10 - I think it's more of a show-us-your-bums kind of move
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #467 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Geat find Deo. Good dancer too!

Parts of it remind me of something Moses Pendelton (founder of the Pilobolus and Momix dance companies) used to do. He created a white suited character with a valise and cane that used to do some truly amazing dancing. Closest I could find is this really poorly made and choppy vid on YouTube that is a clip from a bio special done on him by A&E. Worth watching in that Moses has a bit to say about the artistic design that went into this character. And Moses Pendelton is one artist who is really worth listening to. Too bad the vid is so lousy because Moses has this weird ability to make time seem to speed up and slow down during this dance. You can get a sense of some of it. But whatever was used to compress the original probably got confused and tossed out too many frames in places when Pendelton almost hangs in the air or while in motion. Sitting in the theater, it makes you blink because you'd swear the universe itself had just frozen up for a second or two. Truly amazing stuff. I'll keep looking to see if there's a better quality vid available somewhere.

And if you like that, take a look at this favorite Pilobolus piece called Shadowdance. None of this is computer generated. They do it live with nothing other than lights, a scrim screen, and a huge amount of talent and creativity.

8) :Thmbsup:

-----

Addendum: Ok! Found it. The whole documentary is available for viewing on Vimeo. Link here. Moses does a biographical sketch about his 33rd birthday which is almost an extended dance piece in itself. How typical of him. ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:30 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Geat find Deo. Good dancer too!

It was actually p3lb0x who pointed out TakeSomeCrime's Catgroove dance to me shortly after I posted the Caravan Palace video.

Addendum: Ok! Found it. The whole documentary is available for viewing on Vimeo. Link here. Moses does a biographical sketch about his 33rd birthday which is almost an extended dance piece in itself. How typical of him. ;D

I don't know if I'd ever heard of Moses Pendleton before, but I'm at about 10 minutes into this Vimeo video, and I'm definitely interested enough to watch the rest! Thanks!

And that shadow dance was really great!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #469 on: November 06, 2012, 05:07 AM »
Something a little different in cabaret style this time. La Vague performing an interesting version of their song Straight Contrariwise. It doesn't get more straightforward than this: virtuoso electric bass, maraca, stompbox "drum", stunning vocal talent, and a brief melodica solo. And not too hard on the eyes, regardless of your gender preference. So what's not to like? :mrgreen:

Next time I feel the urge to go out howling at the moon - I'm bringing these two along!  ;D :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #470 on: November 06, 2012, 06:19 AM »
This brought a huge smile to my face (direct youtube link):

Have you ever had a dream that you can play the guitar effortlessly and produce beautiful music and it happens in your dreams like it just flows out of you without requiring any concentration or planning.. this video made me think of such dreams.

this guy - Ronnie Moipolai, from Botswana, is doing a concert in Cape Town in January
with a David Kramer (possibly the youtube uploader) and some guy from the desert that
plays a three stringed box fiddle style instrument (one for 40!).
Nice to see him getting around anyway :up:
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #471 on: November 06, 2012, 06:26 AM »
[/url] (one for 40!).

Thx tomos! Sure is. Both for the box fiddle and the 7/8 (and sometimes 11/8) time he's playing it in! ;D :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:33 AM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #472 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53 AM »
I still love that clip/song.  :up:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #473 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20 AM »

Nice clip, 40.  I really like this song, and I have a story behind it.  Years ago, I was talking with a friend about music groups and their inspirations.  He told me that he had read in an interview that Talking Heads really just wanted to be a white version of K.C. and the Sunshine Band.  I scoffed, until one day I was listening to K.C. and the Sunshine Band's first album (scored the vinyl at a Goodwill record bin) and tried to imagine David Byrne singing "That's the Way (I Like It)" and somehow, it clicked.  This same friend also told me he had read that Led Zeppelin's main influence was Joni Mitchell.  I didn't believe him on that either, until one day I happened to listen to Led Zeppelin II in it's entirety before flipping on the radio and "Free Man in Paris" was the next song.

Bingo.

Now I can't hear that song without imagining it's Robert Plant singing...  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #474 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04 AM »
^Yup. Joni Mitchell, the musical genius pretty lady from Canada. I've adored her work for as long as I've been listening to music. One of the most innovative of jazz-inspired vocalists. The first song I ever heard by her was Night in the City. I must have played that song for two hours straight amazed by her voice (and trying to figure out just what Steven Stills was getting up to with that bassline) before I went out and and bought everything by her I could get my hands on. I've never looked back.

joni_mitchell_graham_nash_980.jpg

jm0.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!  jm4.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!  jm3.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

Did you know she is a big explorer of alternate and experimental guitar tunings? Much of what she plays doesn't use the standard Torres EADGBE.

jmguitar.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

When she got a guitar synth it really opened things up for her because she was no longer restrained by the physics of the strings and could set each to whatever note she wanted it to be. And thanks to the miracle called MIDI, could even do tuning changes within a song in realtime. She once said her favorite compositional technique was to come up with a new tuning and then write a song using it. She said she liked alternate tunings because each time you found one it was like having to learn how to play the guitar all over again. Oh my!

She's also a recognized and respected modern artist when it comes to painting. Her artwork fetches serious money in major galleries whenever it appears. She's done the art for almost all of her albums too.

Amazing lady. :-*