topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List of newbie questions regarding software  (Read 87124 times)

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of newbie questions regarding software
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2008, 08:23 PM »
You could also invest in either a Fisher Space Pen or a Fisher Space Pen Refill...

I always meant to buy a Fisher Space Pen.  Every now and then I want to write on a non-horizontal surface and drive myself mad jiggling and shaking my rollerball. The space pens seemed much more expensive back when I first became aware of them.  I think I shall get one now - thanks for the reminder!

The point of the chinagraph pencil is not just that it is waterproof and writes on vertical surfaces, but that on non-porous surfaces (glass, plastic, laminate, photographic paper, mylar) it is completely non-permanent; it lays a waxy deposit that wipes off cleanly.  I've seen it used in conveyor-belt sushi restaurants and other places where they need to temporarily mark time-codes.  And it's cheap.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2008, 09:09 PM »
And it's cheap.

Cheap is good. Very good. I was just thinking that for jotting down notes in the shower, a pen would be easier to use than a wax crayon. However, if one could write ON the shower stall, transfer one's notes at a later time, and then clean the shower stall - BETTER  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06 AM »
And it's cheap.

Cheap is good. Very good. I was just thinking that for jotting down notes in the shower, a pen would be easier to use than a wax crayon. However, if one could write ON the shower stall, transfer one's notes at a later time, and then clean the shower stall - BETTER  :Thmbsup:

Lisa-02-june.gif

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Thanks gtoal but how do you use it?

compile it, then write a batch file with commands in it like

hakihaki < file.txt > file.html

any time you update file.txt, just double-click the batch file.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2008, 01:51 AM »
Hey, sorry for letting this topic run dry. Still not feeling well but mostly it's because I've been caught in the Twitter/Plurk net that I haven't replied.

I'm also going to have to set this aside as I recently realize that my lifestyle was in fact way more unproductive than I originally thought so I'll be checking off things in my growing to do list for awhile until I reach this entry just to be more focused on editing this.

Hi, feeling really sick right now so just a quick bump.

-Still trying to figure out SQLNotes though I've been feeling too weak to get the motivation to read the SQLNotes thread.

Take care of your health and then go have a look there (http://sites.google....m/site/infoqube/Home) and there too : http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

SQLNotes is in the process of changing name (slowly getting out of its beta phase) to become InfoQube or IQ.

Thanks but I was referring more towards the DC thread on the program as I skimmed those notes. Based on my conversation with Tomos, the documentation falls short due to the program being constantly updated so I decided to skip that.

Nice change of name. I admit I still don't get the whole cubifying information since you can't simultaneously achieve the effect but it's a less scarier name for those of us who don't know what SQL is.

Paul, you and mouser are probably having similar difficulties with SQLNotes.  I had the same issues in the beginning (probably more).  Put in the effort to figure it out.  Most likely, if SN can't do what you're trying to do, there probably isn't another information management system available yet that can.

Yeah, I read your post about it. It's too bad I haven't reached the part where it solved this issue for you. (although the guys were quick to give you an example with the basketball thing)

Sorry I didn't notice your question till now.  I got my chinagraph pencils from a serious stationary store.   Chinagraph pencil is basically like wax crayons but less soft and wrapped in a protective way.  I don't know where you're from and it might be called something different, but you can probably find it once you search for the correct term.

This thing looks like it's rarer than I originally expected. Do you know of a cheap online store that sells these in sets?

As to the all-weather paper - from what you describe, you could have a rolling notebook, where you write, and then transfer your notes elsewhere.  Then you simply cross out the original entry and you wouldn't need to start a new page or waste paper.

This is true but how do you keep the other pages from getting wet?

compile it, then write a batch file with commands in it like

hakihaki < file.txt > file.html

any time you update file.txt, just double-click the batch file.

Oh, I meant the actual content of the wiki.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2008, 01:54 AM »
Btw here's a quote that supports my case that many of the novel writing software I tested didn't get:

Similarities will be found between any fantasy story. Finding a story that is 100% unique is probably impossible. But I agree that sometimes Goodkind is a little too blatantly obvious. But then, when trying to tell a story I am sure you will end up with a solution that works great, then realize that soemone else have already used that exact solution. What are you gonna do? scrap your project?

The difference between SoT and WoT is that SoT tells a story and have things come in as they are needed, while WoT tells a story in a set world.

SoT have a distinct theme for each book (its stated by Goodkind on his website). Everything in the book is based on supporting that theme. An effect of this is how certain places and people are there for just one book and then is never heard from again. Examples are the pacifist empire, gars/Gratch, Blood of the Fold, etc. These are all in one book and gets resolved in the end (either by getting killed of, or leaving). Of course he did bring back some in the last book, but my basic theory still holds.

In effect, Goodkind creates the world around the story: 'Oh I need a old mysterious place, write it in'. This is why the map of the world is so vague. It gives Goodkind greater freedom in creating his story. he is free to go to any place since it is created just to get the story moving in the right way.

WoT on the other hand is a story taking place in a set world. When Goodkind creates his world to support his story, Jordan sets his story in a 'existing world'. Therefore he gets bogged down in details, and a lot of characters, since they still exist in this world, while in SoT anyone not realted to the theme in the book isn't mentioned at all.

Personally I find SoT a good book, a bit preachy, but in the end a good story. I found WoT to be superior in storytelling and giving me the ffeling of being immersed in a richer world. The negative side is the slow pace and the feeling of reading a soap opera (minor plotlines that never really gets resolved, always springing up new minor plotlines) rather than a story.

My perceived difference between the authors is that Goodkind wants to preach a message, while Jordan wants to tell a story.

I also think Jordan does a better job with some of his characters (most of the female ones are all the same), he has characters with weaknesses and flaws, while SoT has very one-dimensional characters (ironically some people say the opposite and that SoT has very realistic characters). Name one flaw Richard has, yeah there really aren't any: he is super good looking, really strong, apparently got the perfect athletic body, works hard, never slacks, honest, selfless, unstoppable killing machine, instinctively knows more about magic than anyone else etc. etc. I found it rather annoying at the end. Other characters are just as one-sided. Kahlan is basically just a female copy of Richard for example.

While reading Jordan's first book I constantly thought that the characters were too weak and frail to win against the dark one, and that the odds against them were too high. Reading SoT I just sit there and wait for Richard to come up with the perfect solution to all troubles a la Deus ex Machina in every single book.

SoT has a good story and it gets its message across, but WoT has a richer and more encompassing world.

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Sorry I didn't notice your question till now.  I got my chinagraph pencils from a serious stationary store.   Chinagraph pencil is basically like wax crayons but less soft and wrapped in a protective way.  I don't know where you're from and it might be called something different, but you can probably find it once you search for the correct term.

This thing looks like it's rarer than I originally expected. Do you know of a cheap online store that sells these in sets?

Where are you based?  You might be having bad luck finding it because of unfortunate terminology.  Check out the Wikipedia entry and google some other names - you might find a source more quickly than you expect.  If you can buy just one to try it out, you can always source a pack of them later.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I'm based in the Philippines so yeah, it's kind of hard to find the right terminology in our native tongue.

Edit: I'm also not an expert in Google keyword searches.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Whew! Finally got one but the pen isn't as quick to erase as I expected. Is there supposed to be a specially designed eraser for it? It washes out but there are still outlines of the texts and those are as hard as actual markers to wash off.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2008, 04:08 PM »
Just putting this here as a reminder:

For some reason, I can't find a simple app that does this.

Basically what I want is a check list program that repeats the check list like a session.

Sure, there are to do list programs with recurring events but none that does this that resides at the systray.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Just putting this here as a reminder:

For some reason, I can't find a simple app that does this.

Basically what I want is a check list program that repeats the check list like a session.

Sure, there are to do list programs with recurring events but none that does this that resides at the systray.
I don't know what you mean.  If possible, please explain in more detail how the program should work.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2008, 06:25 AM »
The core idea is basically a to do list program that you can keep repeating without a pre-defined scheduled time.

Ex.

Say I have a set of search engines for just doing a search on a specific video.

Now this could possibley be what I have on a notetaking tool of any kind.

=Metacafe
=Youtube
=Oxytube
=Revver
=Viddler
=Google

I could even have this as a browser session for easier usage. Problem is, I might lose track of which item I have searched for already. This is unlikely but I could see it happening as I search for more key words.

So I set up a to do list/check list to do this. Unfortunately now I have to keep rewriting the to do list. Of course, I could just copy paste these items but I thought it would be easier to manage if a program specifically sets out so you can repeat this template over and over again. I'd settle for OneNote's templates but I find inserting a template as pretty much at length with just copy pasting/rewriting the to do list all over again.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35 AM »
I'm interested in something similar -I think- I say "I think" cause I'm afraid I still dont understand what exactly you want Paul

do you want a todo list of items that you can easily reproduce & make variation on?
or
do you want a todo list hat you can simply reuse when it done - start over - to-do again?

do you have a set bunch of actions (as example of searches above) that you want to do/apply to various items/words/whatever ?
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2008, 07:38 AM »
Tomos, I think what you're asking is inseparable IMO.

As a base model, the latter can satisfy me but of course if there's a program for the former, the better.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Tomos, I think what you're asking is inseparable IMO.

As a base model, the latter can satisfy me but of course if there's a program for the former, the better.

does that mean you're not going to answer my questions ;D  :tellme:

here's a couple more:
what's the former ? 
what's the latter ?

(I'm not taking the piss - I really dont know what you're referring to ...)
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57 AM »
 ;D

This is the former:

do you want a todo list of items that you can easily reproduce & make variation on?

This is the latter:

do you want a todo list hat you can simply reuse when it done - start over - to-do again?

I would probably want some of these things though they aren't necessary:

1) Ability to organize the same sets of to do lists together on a section so that you would know which keyword you are searching on.

Ex.
Folder = These sets of to do list
a. Name of keyword 1
b. Name of keyword 2
c. Name of keyword 3

2) Ability to save the state of the to do list.

3) Online sync

4) Export/Import to <favorite program>

5) Ability to set priorities, goals, labels, tags, etc. (Basically a portable Remember the Milk or Toodledo but that's like what all mini-to do lists should strive for anyway)

6) FARR/Launchy/Slickrun/RocketDock integration

7) Portable

8) Hotkeys/Keyboard-only compatible

9) Large Colorful icons/Multiple Skins/Pretty Graphical User Interface

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2008, 08:14 AM »
thanks for clarifying Paul,
I was confused because I had three questions. Numbers 1 & 3 were related,
so former and latter werent communicating to me

numbering is good - I'll do that next time I've questions ;)
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2008, 12:16 PM »
As with most of your requests, this sounds like a very particular and uncommon thing.  I can't think of an application that does this the way you describe.  Also, I'm still a little confused, but I think I get the idea.

Here's my thoughts.  You can probably write something in InfoQube with a function that may be able to do this, but I can't think of how exactly.  Yes, many todo programs have a feature for recurring tasks, but they are tied to time intervals.  The only one I can think of is this obscure program called Sciral Consistency.  It's a weird little program, but kind of cool because it offers a way to do seemingly insignificant, recurring tasks without a exact-date schedule.

That's my best suggestion.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Thanks. Glad to know there are still basic programs out there that haven't been made in bunches.

Nah, IQ and Sciral Consistency won't work for reasons that they aren't quite systray programs. (Not that they couldn't be minimized in the systray.)

Not only that but these kinds of tweak can be done more systray friendly using Evernote 2's template system, a Google Chrome app Joe's Goals and OneNote's template system. Even a tag based notetaker or MDI notepad would work.

It's not so much that these functionalities can't be replicated elsewhere. I would even think that The Form Letter or the recent Just to do it program that's in one of the recent topics in DC would eventually evolve to something like that.

It's just as you said, there's no specific program that comes to mind.

It's all tweaks and that defeats the speed by which to organize and manage these lists which is the key benefit that an app like this would have.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2008, 11:52 PM »
I was going to suggest MLO (My life organized), but... No web sync... Unless you're willing to go use Outlook as a channel, and then from there to somewhere else.

and it might not have the "Large Colorful icons/Multiple Skins/Pretty Graphical User Interface" you're looking for (I like the interface, but it's fairly simple -- no big colorful icons...)

Apart from that... it seems to fit the bill...

well, unless :

- Which <favorite program> to export to do you have in mind ?

- A systray program...? What do you mean by that ? A program is a program, whether it shows in the systray or not... No?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27 AM »
Well, a proper systray program is often designed with speed, snappiness and direct to the point interface in mind. Some might call it minimalistic and straight to the point although I've seen exceptions.

A good example of these are Adobe Air apps. Many can eat memory, are not portable but the user interface can be less busier than an actual program tweak to do more advanced stuff. This is something where MLO (when I've tried it before in the past) doesn't achieve, interface aside.

That isn't to say such a full program can't be used but I really think it's better that the program only contains a few core features to manage to do lists of these sort and nothing else. The more content it allows in and the more this program strives to be a full to do list, the longer it takes to separate these lists with ones that you don't need repeated and even though it's still possible to navigate through it, eventually things might bog down to the point that you're much faster picking up an index card, writing several similar copies of the list on it and using it when you need to.

It really should be for lists that you find you need rewriting often enough but not often enough that you couldn't just abuse the copy-paste mechanism and have them structured in such a way that doesn't require an overt digging of all the other information that you have as to provide the snappiness in accessing several of these lists because without that snappiness, you could just simply write it down on Notepad and copy paste it and it would be like spending around the same time digging through a much more advanced notetaker/to do list program.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2008, 04:45 AM »
... you're much faster picking up an index card, writing several similar copies of the list on it and using it when you need to.

forgot to post this yesterday:
how about printer/paper !?!

for a while (last years GOE experiment) I printed a daily schedule PDF template, & I added in (to PDF) tasks that had to be done daily. Didnt suit my needs in the end but point being you could probably figure out some method that would avoid writing/rewriting
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2008, 04:59 AM »
The problem with that is I don't have much space for paper and I don't keep them organized. You should see how many mini-notebooks I have with pages full of text in them that I ended up never revisiting again.

There's also the case of a lack of central place to store them so I'm always hitting myself on the head for throwing that 500 page paper away.

Index cards would be worse. They're small, easy to misplace and they're addictively disposable by nature. Not exactly the type of set up for something pending.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2008, 05:45 AM »
I printed on A4 pages and got myself in & out trays  :P
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile