topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Steam, and the gift of game...  (Read 55486 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steam, and the gift of game...
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51 PM »
ThalSwe: Check your Private Messages for info about gifting Beyond Good & Evil to you. :)

ThalSwe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • On my way
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Not sure if its permanently (as they might change their mind eventually) but currently UbiSoft and...think Atari dont sell any of their games on Steam outside Canada/USA. Might even be another one or two publishers doing the same but simply not to the same exstent.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Weird, both are French publishers :huh:

Not to mention Beyond Good & Evil is practically being given away here.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Just the fact that it is something else to be installed, rather than the individual game. Personal opinion is what it comes down to, but I would much rather have the "full game" than rely on something else to hold it. What if Steam had some type of error, and I couldn't play anything? Madness ensues...

It's like lots of little boxes vs one big box. Big box falls over, everything breaks. Little box falls over, the rest are fine.

Just my opinion on how I do things. :two:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 08:44 PM »
There's lots of games that are only available for download on the internet and aren't present in physical stores - how's this any different from STEAM? Remember, you can "go offline" in STEAM, and play the games without being connected to the internet.

This isn't a dig on steam... I have it installed and love it.  Especially better than D2D since you have one client to manage everything rather than having to download each game individually and not have anything to manage them.  But I did want to chime in on this caveat- I *hate* that you have to go offline when you're online to be able to use offline mode. 

So if I come home, and my internet connection is down, and I haven't "gone offline", I can't play any of my games that I purchased through steam.  And that really sucks.  Impulse (stardock's system) isn't like this... but then again, many impulse games don't have DRM anyway...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 01:48 AM »
I used D2D to purchase GTA: San Andreas (AO version, say what you want :P) and I loved how it was so simple to just run and enter the code. And I used a no-CD crack keep it from doing anything else unexpected afterwards (phoning home or something).

Cheap, fast, easy.

ThalSwe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • On my way
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 07:39 AM »
Decided to jump into this old thread again (instead of creating a new one) since I need some help with getting some "restricted" games from Steam due to Ubisoft and Atari having their odd ways of publishing. Was helped once before by our friendly member Deozaan to get Beyond: Good and Evil and that I am very VERY greatful for. This time around the games are a more expensive so guess its a smaller chance that someone will help me.

The first one of them is "The Witcher: Enhanced Edition" that I have been wanting to play for a longer time and hoped that Atari would eventually change their publishing policy as they company who made the game is European but they only changed it to be avalible for Eastern European countries.

The other game is the new "Prince of Persia" which I am really intersted in. As Ubisoft put it up on Steam they decided to have a complete pack of all the Prince of Persia games and since I am a bit of a game collector (110+ games on Steam) and since I never got a chance to play Warrior Within and Two Thrones I'd like to get my hands on the Prince of Persia Pack.

Details:
Prince of Persia Pack $64.99
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition $39.99

I'll gladly sent the money by Paypal to the person(s) that can help me get the games and if you are uncertain you can trust me I can send the money to you before you gift me the game. Also have extra gift copies of Half-Life 2 and GTA: Vice City that I can gift away to the person who helps me out :)

If nobody can help me out I guess I have to stick it out and wait for them to change. Stranger things have happened.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 08:03 AM »
If you can place the money in Paypal before the transaction, I can help you out.  I have done it before on this forum.  I will take your gift copies, HL2 for my boys and GTA for me...

PM or Email me

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07 AM »
This thread is one of the great things about DC.
I probably wouldn't trust people on some of the other forums I frequent to do stuff like this for me :D
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

ThalSwe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • On my way
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Yeah, I feel the same way about this community. Really friendly and nice people here so can really say that I am proud to be a member here. y0himba got me the games and I couldnt be happier. Yay for DC.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Transaction completed, and we are happily downloading our games.  Anyone else needs help, let me know, this is twice I have done this, and I am getting comfortable with it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51 AM »
 :-*
- carpe noctem

SvenP78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Hello together,

I just found the thread via google, because I have exactly the same problem with buying "The Witcher" from Steam. So I looked around this forum and found out that the people here have a polite way to interact with each other. That's something, that makes this forum a place to come by more often.

Since I also don't like opening new threads for every little thing, I just append to this older thread. Could perhaps anyone from US or Russia gift me the game? I use paypal and could do instant payments.

And to the discussion about Steam. Well, at first (back when it was introduced) I was very angry that CS1.6 was released via Steam. I always loved to have a DVD/CD in my shelf. But now a few years later, I think a little bit different about it. Now my opinion is that it is just the way the internet and with it the distribution channels change. I is a convinient way to buy games without much copy-protection/drm stuff which hurts my system. So I see no problem in installing Steam. For me it is only a launcher. A positive side-effect is when I lose my harddrive or my install disc (happened to me when I moved and didn't find the game case in the boxes) because of a hardware failure it doesn't matter. I can redownload the games.
The only thing that sometimes drives me nuts is the way regional sales are being enforced by the IP and CreditCard/Paypal Account origin. Something which was really annoying for me when I first got the Valve Complete Pack as DE Version. (the games where cut, even the old Half-Life). It cost me a few letters to the support, and a way to buy the Valve Complete Pack again in UK until the support exchanged the game and refunded the original price.

So in the UK Store it is no problem, but the US or Russian Store have much stricter Checks for buying. :)

So, if anybody could help me with this I would be very thankful.

Bye,

Sven

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Hi Sven,

I'd be glad to help you out.

Just send the money to:

Contact Info
paypal (@t) deozaan (dawt) com

And include a reminder to me for which game you want and what e-mail address to gift it to and I'll get it over to you.

SvenP78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 01:45 AM »
Hi,

I just transferred the money. Should be there in 2-3 days. I had to open a new PP-Account, because PP "mistakenly" froze my main account. Very funny, just because I used it with a VPN and never before bought in UK. Thank god, I had no money on it and always paid via bank transfer.
Who the hell are they? They just think another person logged into my account, even though I used the pin type login with my mobile phone and reverified my Credit Card (which was deactivated by paypal also). I used paypal for many years now, without even having a problem. Till now.

Well, sorry but I was a bit angry. I wished I could have send the money earlier, but with this measures, PP "forced" me to open a new account.

Anyone else had problem with Paypal?

Bye,

Sven

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 02:03 AM »
Anyone else had problem with Paypal?
This deserves a separate thread, but check out
http://www.something...l-fiasco-summary.php
http://knaddison.com...pal-why-paypal-sucks
http://www.paypalsuc.../showforum.php?fid=3
and the countless other sites :)

SvenP78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 03:09 AM »
Thanks. Nice reading. I know it was a bit off-topic, so sorry. I was just a bit angry at that moment, and didn't think of opening a new thread. Well... hope the money from the second account will be transferred and after that I will use PP only if there isn't any other way. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 10:36 AM »
just for the record, i love paypal  :up:

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 11:32 AM »
just for the record, i love paypal  :up:

just for the record, who cares? paypal hates me and countless other people :P
* scancode gives mouser a poke

SvenP78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Just to inform that Paypal "seems not to be always" bad. My limited Paypal account is unlocked again, after I wrote a diplomatic, but not very nice letter to the support. I've been letting them know that I won't send them X-pages of whatever, after I already made the steps to verify my CreditCard and with this my location.
Also I told them to shut down the account if they don't want to unlock it (didn't care anymore). Well, guess what. A friendly paypal employeer called me on my handy (I didn't have to call the hotline - which would have been costs again) and I told him that I am really me and that I made the transactions that perhaps fired the security system. A day later the account was unlocked again.

So at the end... Everything is working again (let's see how long).

So thanks all for the comments and especially Deozaan for helping me out with the gift. :)

Schlangers

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Hi is anybody willing to make gift me Mass Effect ? I would pay half upfront and half after or something like that :D

I will use paypal of course, why don't EA allow its games to sold via Steam UK?

mkay87

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Hi guys :)
Can anyone gift me Jericho on Steam? I'm from germany and the game is not listed in our store -.-
Because i cannot send the money via paypal i would buy an other game as a gift on steam for you (price equal or a bit higher).

If you want a positive feedback about me ask deozaan he knows me. He gifted me games before.

So please help me :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:01 PM by mkay87 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Check your PM. I'll be writing.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 06:29 PM »
If no one else has already, I will gift it to you.  It is $1.69(US) right now.  http://store.steampowered.com/app/11420/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 06:55 PM »
I took care of it. Thanks y0himba. :Thmbsup: