topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Technology Myths  (Read 24626 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Technology Myths
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Here is a gaming myth

- you need a G15 keyboard and G5 mouse to be any good in a shooter

Never heard that one before.  And I've heard a lot of gaming myths.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 04:44 PM »
i think its a bit local tho, A lot of people i know over the internet got that logitech set and keeps telling me you got perfect precision when sniping and that they dont know how people can live without it
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44 PM »
the beauty of marketing!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 04:38 PM »
i think its a bit local tho, A lot of people i know over the internet got that logitech set and keeps telling me you got perfect precision when sniping and that they dont know how people can live without it

It's just psychology at its finest. Those things probably cost a pretty penny, right? So they've convinced themselves of the superiority of the things because they want to be happy with their purchase. If you spend a lot of money on something, you will most likely convince yourself that it was money well spent. Even if it wasn't what you had hoped.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Probably. Well both the keyboard and the mouse are superior... But i wouldn't waste a fortune on them when i could upgrade my graphics card or something else that matters for the money i spent on them

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I don't understand how a keyboard could be superior to any other for gaming, as long as they all work properly. I'm pretty sure my WASD keys work just as well as any other keyboard out there.

Mouse precision also isn't that big of a deal. Do you really need 5,000,000 dpi accuracy to snipe?

I think the determining factors for this particular example are how fast the system runs the game and the internet connection speed. Low latency is probably the greatest factor in accuracy, since being lagged can mean you're aiming at someone or something that's not in that position anymore.

Just on our Counterstrike server I've had problems of adjusting my aim quickly and when I pull the trigger the bullet hole ends up where I was aiming half a second ago because of latency. Even if perhaps that headshot wasn't perfectly aimed (ie, not a headshot) it still should have been very close to the head, on the brick wall behind the person I was aiming at, instead of at the ground or the sky.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 04:13 AM »
The mouse is one of the few wireless mouses I like and the keyboard doesn't fux up when you try to press more than 3 buttons at the same time. But i wouldnt pay 750% the price of a normal keyboard+mouse for those 2 things. So if you compare prices and look at how "good" they are compared to that, then your right!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 01:12 PM »
North Korean soldiers can't complain about my accuracy in Crysis ;D (and the game doesn't provide a sniper rifle :P)

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Theres the Precision rifle with sniper scope, id call that a sniper rifle

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16 PM »
I don't understand how a keyboard could be superior to any other for gaming, as long as they all work properly. I'm pretty sure my WASD keys work just as well as any other keyboard out there.

Okay I just thought of a superior keyboard idea for gaming. A Keyboard without the stupid Windows Icon button!!!!1 I don't know how many times I hit that thing in the middle of a game while trying to press Ctrl or Alt and it sends me back to my desktop. :(

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Okay I just thought of a superior keyboard idea for gaming. A Keyboard without the stupid Windows Icon button!!!!1 I don't know how many times I hit that thing in the middle of a game while trying to press Ctrl or Alt and it sends me back to my desktop. :(

Aieeeee!  Yes.  Thankfully most games I play seem to detect this and auto-pause.

Hmmm... could it really be a feature?  "Boss is coming" key?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 08:32 PM »
Great topic, arunpawar!

Here's some of the biggest myths I've come across are:
(1) Vista doesn't run some games. I'm sure it doesn't, but it runs all my old ones quite well. (I'm not smart enough to figure out the new stuff.)

(2) Linux is hard to learn. Not really. If you setup any distro and leave it alone, the learning curve is microscopic, since so many apps are bundled with each distro. They already come loaded with OpenOffice, a text editor (or 3), multimedia apps, email/browser/PIM, archive app, up to 180 little games! and so on.

(3) Using third-party ink in your printer voids the warranty. Nah.

(4) You have to partition a large hard drive and/or defrag it often to get the best performance. Partitioning is a good idea to protect your data from the OS and system files, but defragging for performance improvement is really overrated on Windows, and never required on a GNU/Linux machine.

(5) Macs are safe from viruses. Nothing is, not even Linux. But OS X and Linux both have tens of thousands of fewer verified virus signatures than Windows. That said, Vista is certainly harder to damage than pre-2007 XP.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 06:30 AM »
Zaine: linux is hard to learn, if you want to do more than use the preinstalled stuff. If you're just going to use it at regular user level, then sure it's easy enough... but beyond that, things very quickly become very messy.

And it's a big fat lie that you never need to defrag on linux (and it has to do with filesystems rather than linux itself). Thing is that most filesystems available on linux doesn't have defragmenters, so you're stuck with copying all data to another partition, wiping the partition you want to "defrag", and moving back the data again...
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 08:59 AM »
Zaine: linux is hard to learn, if you want to do more than use the preinstalled stuff. ...

And it's a big fat lie that you never need to defrag on linux

I agree with both statements.

Regarding defragging, I was once involved in a discussion with someone who wanted to defrag his flash drive. At either extreme of this debate (flash drives? not unix?) it's clear that people don't actually understand what defragging is.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02 AM »
"Python is Old programming language and is outdated"This is the quote or words i heard from some of the recruiters/Employers of top IT companies in india's second biggest IT city Pune.

This is something i've heard that there is no tool for visual java programming  like VB have .This is another myth cause java is having Visual J++ and Netbeans and some other commercial IDE that do thejob for it.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I though Visual J++ was discontinued and the last version of it was back from Visual Studio 6?
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I though Visual J++ was discontinued and the last version of it was back from Visual Studio 6?
Yes, that is correct. That was the result of the big lawsuit where Sun sued Microsoft because they didn't like MS's "perversion" of Java to give it better access to the Windows API.

However, there is still "J#" on the .Net platform. I'm not sure how MS gets past the Java zealot lawsuits here; maybe they just never claim to be Java, they just happen to be compatible?

Anyway, although I haven't used J#, I'm pretty sure that as a .Net language it will enjoy the same visual programming interface that C# or VB.Net get.

Doesn't Borland (or whatever they're calling themselves these days) have a pretty nice Java IDE as well?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 09:40 AM »
I think Sun's lawsuit was pretty hypocritical, since Java has had JNI for ages. What exactly did Microsoft do wrong, apart from having a JVM that was perhaps three times faster than Sun's own?

As for j#, ho humm. It might have Java syntax, but if it uses the dotNET class libraries and doesn't offer Java class library wrappings above it, then it's not really compatible; with dotNET and similar, the class libraries are a much bigger part of the language than the language itself :)

Dunno if borland/inprise/codegear/whatever java IDE is nice, last I checked it was written in java and was sluggish as hell.
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 09:54 AM »
I think Sun's lawsuit was pretty hypocritical, since Java has had JNI for ages. What exactly did Microsoft do wrong, apart from having a JVM that was perhaps three times faster than Sun's own?
MS's native interface was different from the "official" Java interface. And if you're going to be non-portable, you'd better do it in a compatible way! ...or something...

with dotNET and similar, the class libraries are a much bigger part of the language than the language itself :)
There's certainly a kernel of truth to this. When interviewing for C# developers I've been satisfied with VB.Net experience instead. However, this is becoming less true these days; C# is definitely following the high-tech cutting-edge path, with VB.Net trying the demographics of the original VB. And you won't find me doing C++ development in .Net; I've had enough C++ headaches in my life, thank you.

Dunno if borland/inprise/codegear/whatever java IDE is nice, last I checked it was written in java and was sluggish as hell.
Is there a bug in the forum software? This chunk above popped up when I did clicked the Quote link, but I don't see it in your actual message!?  :huh:

Edit: it's showing up now. But really, this last paragraph wasn't initially output with your message. Did you go back to add it later?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:56 AM by CWuestefeld »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Yeah, I added it right after originally posting, quick enough that the post didn't have a "last edited at..." thing.
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25 PM »
"Python is Old programming language and is outdated"This is the quote or words i heard from some of the recruiters/Employers of top IT companies in india's second biggest IT city Pune.

Uh, but wasn't Python the rage as lately? At least the Linux guys are always talking about it...

Doesn't Borland (or whatever they're calling themselves these days) have a pretty nice Java IDE as well?

JBuilder, written in Java of course, just like any other Java IDE (except for a little one we use at the university, but I can't recall its name)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Jbuilder is slow as hell.>True.

If you use Netbeans then you will find Jbuilder got new slow brother. ;D