ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Technology Myths

<< < (9/10) > >>

f0dder:
I though Visual J++ was discontinued and the last version of it was back from Visual Studio 6?

CWuestefeld:
I though Visual J++ was discontinued and the last version of it was back from Visual Studio 6?
-f0dder (December 31, 2007, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that is correct. That was the result of the big lawsuit where Sun sued Microsoft because they didn't like MS's "perversion" of Java to give it better access to the Windows API.

However, there is still "J#" on the .Net platform. I'm not sure how MS gets past the Java zealot lawsuits here; maybe they just never claim to be Java, they just happen to be compatible?

Anyway, although I haven't used J#, I'm pretty sure that as a .Net language it will enjoy the same visual programming interface that C# or VB.Net get.

Doesn't Borland (or whatever they're calling themselves these days) have a pretty nice Java IDE as well?

f0dder:
I think Sun's lawsuit was pretty hypocritical, since Java has had JNI for ages. What exactly did Microsoft do wrong, apart from having a JVM that was perhaps three times faster than Sun's own?

As for j#, ho humm. It might have Java syntax, but if it uses the dotNET class libraries and doesn't offer Java class library wrappings above it, then it's not really compatible; with dotNET and similar, the class libraries are a much bigger part of the language than the language itself :)

Dunno if borland/inprise/codegear/whatever java IDE is nice, last I checked it was written in java and was sluggish as hell.

CWuestefeld:
I think Sun's lawsuit was pretty hypocritical, since Java has had JNI for ages. What exactly did Microsoft do wrong, apart from having a JVM that was perhaps three times faster than Sun's own?
-f0dder (December 31, 2007, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
MS's native interface was different from the "official" Java interface. And if you're going to be non-portable, you'd better do it in a compatible way! ...or something...

with dotNET and similar, the class libraries are a much bigger part of the language than the language itself :)-f0dder (December 31, 2007, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's certainly a kernel of truth to this. When interviewing for C# developers I've been satisfied with VB.Net experience instead. However, this is becoming less true these days; C# is definitely following the high-tech cutting-edge path, with VB.Net trying the demographics of the original VB. And you won't find me doing C++ development in .Net; I've had enough C++ headaches in my life, thank you.

Dunno if borland/inprise/codegear/whatever java IDE is nice, last I checked it was written in java and was sluggish as hell.
-f0dder (December 31, 2007, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Is there a bug in the forum software? This chunk above popped up when I did clicked the Quote link, but I don't see it in your actual message!?  :huh:

Edit: it's showing up now. But really, this last paragraph wasn't initially output with your message. Did you go back to add it later?

f0dder:
Yeah, I added it right after originally posting, quick enough that the post didn't have a "last edited at..." thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version