topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread  (Read 112522 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Below is a list of reported bugs for FARR2. Once a bug is reported on this forum, we will add it to the table and update the table with a new status once we have an update.

Bug SummaryReport DateStatus
$$1 problem when passing "c:\" bug24OCT2007Resolved?
Action Trick Bug24OCT2007Resolved in 2.00.144
Clipboard Bug24OCT2007Unresolved
Folder Navigation Bug29AUG2007Resolved in 2.00.145
Folder with a dash bug24OCT2007Resolved in 2.00.144
History Bug24OCT2007Resolved in 2.00.144
Keyword with Capital Letter Bug24OCT2007Unresolved
Same Name Bug24OCT2007Non-issue?
Search Box Bug24OCT2007Unresolved
Showmemo Bug24OCT2007Resolved in 2.00.144
Unicode character problem22OCT2007Unresolved

To all users,

The table below details requested features thus far. Please post a new thread with a feature request. Once we receive it, we will update the table below with the request and update its status as it gets updated by mouser. Thanks for your help!

Josh

Feature SummaryRequest DateStatus
Clear search term on hide17NOV2007Confirmed
Easier Icon Assignments for Aliases15NOV2007Unconfirmed
Go back from action list to result list19NOV2007Unconfirmed
Multiple Run19NOV2007Unconfirmed
Remember Parameters for launch of aliases18NOV2007Confirmed by mouser
Standard control to pass parameters to scripting software19NOV2007Unconfirmed
Tree-View Options Dialog24OCT2007Initial Request

If you've posted about a bug or feature request that isn't listed here, just send me a message through the
forum
and let me know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:28 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I think this approach to having a single locked sticky thread for each program, with links to known reported bugs as reported on the forum, is the best tradeoff between a full bug tracker tool and the existing DC forum.

Some of you remember when we had a real bug tracker tool installed (Mantis).  While it worked ok, keeping the forum and the bug tracker synchronized was painful and there was just too much overlap.

This new method will allow everyone to see a list of outstanding and reported bugs.  A thread like this will be started in each program's section.

Thanks to Josh for spearheading this -- I think it will make it easier for everyone (especially me!) to keep track of outstanding bugs  :up:

Please note that this thread itself is locked and only modifiable by Moderators.  If you have a bug to report, post it as its own new thread, where others can comment, etc.  And we will post a link to it here (let us know if we forget to).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:56 PM by mouser »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:34 PM »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:42 PM »

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I updated FARR this morning. On one of my machines I got an extensive error message & a pop-up that said eas violation. I uninstalled FARR ran Ccleaner & reinstalled FARR. Same error message & pop-up. EAS violation, notify Mouser.
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:42 AM »
remove the environment variables plugin

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:02 PM »
got it, did it, am back in FARR business!
thanks for quick reply & great products
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!

mavromatis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I have a problem, the search area is lost.
Here is a screenshot for better expression of the problem.
http://u1.imgupload.co.uk/1249686000/cbcc_clipboard_image_1.jpg
FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread

I still can write and search but can't see what I write.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:17 PM »
that's strange.. i can maybe guess what the problem is though -- the search area actually has a place for a toolbar to the right of it.
see if you can expand the window width far enough to get it back, and then drag the right end of the search box to enlarge it.

mavromatis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:47 PM »
that's strange.. i can maybe guess what the problem is though -- the search area actually has a place for a toolbar to the right of it.
see if you can expand the window width far enough to get it back, and then drag the right end of the search box to enlarge it.
Thanks. That worked it out. I found the search area in the second monitor and brought back.

karolisk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 05:08 AM »
Hi,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this bug, but for me sometimes FARR gets stuck. It somehow gets inactive so I can't write anything or press exit button, but it still shows menu if I press right mouse button on it or in system tray icon. The only was to solve it that i found is restart.

Let me know if you have any ideas how to solve it or if you need more info, thanks.

koro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:27 PM »
I've noticed something with the tray menu. It often happens that when i click on the tray icon to open the menu, the menu background is black (so you can't read anything, you just see the icons). I think this may be related to using custom background colors (i use light colors for the results list and the search box, but it seems to me that this problem started when I started using custom colors. Might as well be a coincidence, since I have only recently started using FARR (I'm running the latest version, 2.80.02.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36 PM »
A few small things I've experienced on Win7, FARR 2.80.02:

1. Launch history sometimes disappears after reboot. Lame, I know, but I'm not seeing any regularity. I installed 7 just a day before, so have been rebooting plenty of times in the last 48 hours while installing updates etc. In this time I have seen FARR history going completely blank right after reboot maybe three or four times, but not always.

2a. Even though I have remapped "My documents" to a folder on secondary hard drive (where I keep all my data), FARR still keeps its settings under c:\Users\user\Documents\DonationCoder\ folder. This may or may not have anything to do with the memory loss above.

2b. Perhaps My Documents is not the best place to store configuration data? Config files are not really "documents" that most users edit. Why not save FARR config under c:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\DonationCoder\, where DcUpdater data lives?

3. When a list of results is displayed, right-click an item and click Properties. Result: nothing happens. No error, no message, just nothing :) The Shell Context Menu command works, though.

4. FARR does not show up on Pause key press when the focused window belongs to an "elevated" process, i.e. one that required a UAC confirmation. (Many other system-wide hotkeys do not work then either, so it's not really a FARR-specific issue.) This particular problem seems to have gone away after completely disabling UAC and rebooting.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:40 PM »
lets try to see if #1 and #2 can both be solved by editing your configdir.ini file in the FARR program files directory and setting it to store the data file where you want it to.

#3 someone reported, i have to look into it.

#4 i suspect is a windows7 "feature" that may not be possible to fix.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 04:18 PM »
lets try to see if #1 and #2 can both be solved by editing your configdir.ini file in the FARR program files directory and setting it to store the data file where you want it to.

#3 someone reported, i have to look into it.

#4 i suspect is a windows7 "feature" that may not be possible to fix.

Mouser, I think #3 is the only candidate for an actual bug in FARR. The others are just "stuff that happens to me when running FARR on 7". Points #1 and #2 indicate an awesome potential for problems and data loss; I'm seeing other apps that completely forget their settings, whether stored in userdata folders or in the registry. Suddenly after reboot I start an app and all the settings are gone.

This, just like FARR's forgetting its history, happens entirely randomly, once every few reboots, but it's of course terribly annoying, and I shudder to think what else it might lead to. For just this reason I'll be reverting to XP right away.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I think #3 is the only candidate for an actual bug in FARR.

And now I can report that the Properties menu item works fine on XP, in the same version of FARR.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46 PM »
[moved to new thread. why can't we delete posts?]
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:43 AM by Scott »

Alien282

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have a feature request. :)

I want to be able to start typing something and then when I click CTRL + UP (i.e. "invoke" history) the history which will be displayed will be only of these things that match in the beginning the letters I have written. Yeah, I have difficulty expressing myself in english. :) Example:

In FARR I write:

aaadd
bbbbb
aaaaa
ccccc

So I have this in my history. Then, when I type "a" and press CTRL + UP I want to get "aaaaa" and not "ccccc" as is now. Then, if I press CTRL + UP AGAIN I want to get "aaadd". And so on. Would REALLY love this feature. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 04:25 AM »
I can see how that would be useful.. I can also see that some people wouldn't want it to behave like that, so it would have to be an option.

But let me ask about an alternative.. what if past matching *search* history was shown in the result list as you type? would that solve what you are interested in?

Alien282

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24 AM »
what if past matching *search* history was shown in the result list as you type?

If by "matching" you mean what I mean - to display only the history which matches the letters I have typed - then yes, your solution is actually even better.

I would use that I lot, personally. One use case is google search - if I want to search again with the same thing I searched an hour ago it would be as simple as typing "gs wh" and get "gs whatever I searched for before which was really long", e.g. Going to websites is easy too - I actually use FARR to enter URL's, not IE, so that would be extremely useful there.

P.S. But you must show the matching history AFTER I press CTRL + UP, so it's not necessary to show a result list "as I type". Just once I ask for the history - I get it filtered by the letters I've typed in the beginning. Obviously, you could make that even more complicated to not search only in the beginning for a match, but I think that's a bit overkill. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:28 AM by Alien282 »

risingeil

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37 AM »
I would like the ability to have more control over what gets added to the launch history list.  Say don't ad any file from a specific dir and its subdirs
Also, the %APPDRIVE% variable doesn't seem to valid in the External Tools section.

thanks

aloishammer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Double Request: ASLR/DEP and amd64
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Would you consider looking at ASLR and DEP for FARR (and DCU)?

Would you consider a native amd64 build for those of us running amd64 Windows?  (That's quite a lot of people, now.)  (Also, ASLR is even more easily bypassed in a mere 4GB (or really 3.2GB-or-so) address space.)

I've tested adding perma-DEP and ASLR (/NXCOMPAT and /DYNAMICBASE, respectively) to the DCU and FARR2 executables and support DLLs, with MSVC10-Express' toolchain, and FARR2's speed has dropped drastically.  I think this is because it wasn't compiled properly for ASLR to start, as opposed to something that would happen to FARR2 with ASLR added at link (compile?) time originally.

Perma-DEP by itself doesn't appear to affect performance, nor should it.

Thanks for such a great and useful tool!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34 PM »
welcome aloishammer  :up:

i'm afraid i'm totally ignorant about ASLR and Perma-DEP.  could you point me to something gentle i could read and maybe elaborate a little on why you think this would be useful?