topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread  (Read 112528 times)

justW3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • What you think I said is probably not what I meant
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 05:24 AM »
Hi Mouser,
Yes, unchecking "Use file launch helper utility" seems to have fixed the problem  :) -- though I can't for the life of me see why it should have... but never mind, the important thing is, it's working again.  :Thmbsup:
Many thanks.

centur

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38 PM »
I'm using latest version of FARR portable (v2.206.01) on Win 8 x64 and discovered a weird and annoying behaviour. I removed En-US Region and keyboard layout language from my system and replaced it with Australian one (cause I want DD/MM/YYYY dates everywhere and for other reasons). The issue I run into is that FARR adding EN-US keyboard layout to my list everytime I launching it and this behaviour is veeery annoying ( cause in that case I have 2 En layouts and one Ru one and have to cycle through en-en-ru setup to switch to russian).

I can't find any way to disable this behaviour in FARR, could it be added to options or if it's considered a bug - fixed in next release.
I didn't run into this issue when I used same portable setup on my Win7 x64, so looks like this issue specific to Win8

Thanks in advance

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Hi centur --

Could you elaborate a little about what is happening -- since i'm not familiar with keyboard layout i'm not sure what you are saying is happening..

Are you saying that you are launching a keyboard layout from within FARR and it's adding that layout to the FARR list of recently launched files, and you don't want it to? Or are you saying that something is happening automatically every time you run FARR?

centur

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Hi Jesse.
I have multiple keyboard layouts on my Win8 (as well as on my Win7). To illustrate that - you can go to Control Panel\Language and add another language, which could be used for displaying characters in non-unicode programs and language usually have keyboard layout (besides date formatting rules separators and all that culture specific stuff), which means you can quickly switch from one layout to another and type language specific letters =). I usually have 2 languages installed - English and Russian. And normally I'm pretty happy with en-US (US culture with MM/DD/YYYY date and qwerty-keyboard layout).

Recently I realized that en-US culture formatting is a bit confusing (TFS in visual studio applying en-US culture to date formatting and it becomes a mess, cause Russia and Australia using DD MM YYYY order for dates, not MM DD YYYY one). So I installed different, en-Au culture (and keyboard layout, that is actually standard qwerty) and removed en-Us completely. So now my system have 2 languages ( and 2 layouts) - en-Au and ru-Ru.

Here is how my default  language switcher (win+space) looks when FARR is not loaded:
http://i.imgur.com/TSzsHsN.png?1

When I launch FARR - en-US keyboard layout added:
http://i.imgur.com/8mT0rpI.png?1

No en-US culture added, just keyboard layout. This is a bit annoying cause now I have 2 en layouts and a ru one, as a result - for switching from en to ru I have to press Win+space twice, but from ru to en - only once.

What I read so far somewhere on SO or superuser (can't find exact ref right now) - Windows, not sure is it started with W8, but I didn't run into this issue on win7, could add program-specific layout if certain program explicitly trying to call for it (or something like that, my guesses about the cause could be complete bs). So probably FARR trying to use en-US specific layout and thus Win8 added corresponding entry to lang selector. Sometimes it could be usefull ( so you can use proper layout if no english layout installed), but in some cases, like mine - it should be avoided.

It'll be great if there will be a checkbox in FARR options to enable\disable that behaviour or any other way to configure this.

If you need more details - feel free to contact me by email, (nickname) at gmail com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Ok I think I understand now.. let me see if i can fix it.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2013, 05:00 PM »
So FARR is doing that?
I've recently gotten a laptop with windows 8 and it was driving me nuts with constantly adding a en-US culture/keyboard layout. I never tracked it down to FARR.
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

centur

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2013, 07:16 PM »
:) Lucky you. I've spent a full week to figure wtf is going on with my language switcher. I overwrote my default confiigurations, hacked through registry, trying to not connect to any RDPs (I thought that initial cause was that RDP adds server layouts and not removing it properly). But only when I shutdown all my startup programs one by one and logging in and off each time - I figured that it's FARR. The "Bad" side of all my studies   - I realised that I can't just stop using FARR - it's too damn addictive.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Gulp! I forgot about this bug.. I'll be working on it this weekend!  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Ok i see where the problem is, i'll have a beta version to test on sunday.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Can you guys try this beta and see if it fixes the keyboard layout problem (and also please check if hotkey configuration still works fine):

centur

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Keyboard issue fixed at my machine  :Thmbsup:

What do you mean with to "check if hotkey configuration still works fine" ? My FARR-launch hotkeys are working fine (but Im using language independent setting Win+Alt+Space). What other hotkeys should I check to help you with this?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I think we should be fine with the hotkey configuration, so you can disregard that request.  Glad to here to the issue is fixed -- thanks for your patience.  I think I'll push out an official update tonight.  :Thmbsup:

Judykator

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I would like the program to read and display the file comments. Comments formed in Total Commander and located in files "descript.ion" (ctrl+z in TC). Mayby next option in Report Column

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2013, 05:20 AM »
I'm having a little bit of problem with the "Custom browser" feature.

I'm using FARR (v2.206.01) in portable mode and I'm trying to use a custom browser instead of the default one.
If I enter the full path to the browser it works OK, but if I enter a system variable then it doesn't work.
For example I have a system variable %PORTABLE% that points to my portable drive where FARR and my browser are located.
If I try to write in the Custom Browser field : "%PORTABLE%\browser\browser.exe $$1" them it doesn't work, but if I write "f:\browser\browser.exe $$1" then it works correctly.
In this case the %PORTABLE% = f:

If I enter %PORTABLE%\browser\browser.exe in FARR's dialog then it starts the browser correctly, so it seems that only the "Custom browser" setting lacks the ability to use system variables.

Is there any workaround ?

Thanx in advance.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I'll fix this in next release and try to get an update out this month.

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22 AM »
Thanx mouser for your answer.
I think that the icons are also not read correctly if you use system variables for the "search folders"

Anyways, i just discovered that if i use FARR in portable mode and it's in the "portable" folder then i can just simply add the "search folders" as is and FARR will update it to the correct path on the next PC it is run.
For example at work my portable drive is E and at home it's D, at work i added "e:\tools" in the "search folders" list and at home it automagically transformed into "d:\tools"  :greenclp:
Even the "alternative browser"'s path works the same way :Thmbsup:

So, the environment variable support in the alternative browser would be useful, but it's not something urgent or vital since there's a workaround for it (as long as FARR is on the same drive as the browser itself).

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Mouser, could you update core alias "DC" to use HTTPS instead of the HTTP protocol? I know that I could disable the alias and alter the copy, but I believe it would be better to have more secure protocol in the original.

wolvie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2013, 01:08 AM »
Just a couple of minor issues I've noticed, these could be down to my newbishness  :huh:, but I thought I'd post them and see if I can help future users in any way:

In the Core-Search.alias the music alias uses the .+ in the regular expression which means when using your example from the MYMUSIC search folder entry with the music optional modifier keyword, my music searches will not open in my default music player it just ends up searching web sites for that music file.  I know you can change the optional modifier to something different, but I thought I'd mention it as it had me confused for a while until I did a bit of digging.

In the Core-Farr.alias helpfarr alias the "FARR - Search Help | restartsearch fhelp\s" doesn't appear to work, if I remove the \s then it works.

FARR is a brilliant tool by the way, so thanks for all the hard work that has obviously gone into it and all the plugins, I'll be telling everyone I know about it.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Welcome to the site, wolvie, and thanks for the nice words  :up:

im not sure im completely following the point about the .+ music thing..

In the Core-Farr.alias helpfarr alias the "FARR - Search Help | restartsearch fhelp\s" doesn't appear to work, if I remove the \s then it works.
seems to work here..

wolvie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Could be something to do with my setup then that was causing the issue, no worries.  Thanks for the quick reply.