topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?  (Read 834276 times)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SQLNotes...what is it exactly?
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2007, 02:50 AM »
Equations?
Niiice, I'm jumping in now

Except I don't have MS Office except on my work laptop and I won't install betas or unlicensed anything on that.

I have about a zillion office suites - the old smartsuite, an middle aged version of the wordperfect one (pre-corel), the one ashampoo lists and of course open office, so there is most likely a way
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:10 AM by iphigenie »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Equations?
Niiice, I'm jumping in now

Except I don't have MS Office except on my work laptop and I won't install betas or unlicensed anything on that.
Equations don't require MS Office!

Only the pivot table and chart. Open Office Calc can be used to do the same thing

Finally, a truly built-in pivot (i.e. not needing Office installed) will be integrated in a few months.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39 AM »
I've updated the wikispace to include a detailed step by step tutorial on how to do this:
http://sqlnotes.wiki....com/BasketballStats

Don't forget to get the latest SQLNotes build. That sample is now part of the default template. File > New to create a new file based on the template
Thanks, that's really cool.  Your effort is appreciated.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Thanks, that's really cool.  Your effort is appreciated.
Did you try the sample? Does it do what you want?
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Did you try the sample? Does it do what you want?

I think it does, I haven't finished playing with it yet.  I'm still trying to understand how all the data works together in the program, I don't have my head around it yet.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2007, 07:43 PM »
I think it does, I haven't finished playing with it yet.  I'm still trying to understand how all the data works together in the program, I don't have my head around it yet.
Think of it as:
1- a large spreadsheet. The grid is used to filters which row are displayed and which column is displayed, and/or
2- As a filing cabinet. You place items in folders (fields here). Selecting a field as a grid source, displays items in the folder (This is the Ecco Pro metaphor)

Hope this helps!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Pierre,

I'm looking at SQLNotes now for the document tracking database, as we discussed in another thread. I must say, though, the proposed pricing is more than I had expected. That's not to say it is out of line with what it should be -- I guess I just didn't know the price range for this type of application. I might have to take another hard look at Access for my database since I already own that!
Jim
It all depends on how you value your own time...
Also the price is very approximate and will be in line with comparable products. May end-up being less. Finally, contributing beta testers, translators and solution providers get a free licence!

Thank you Pierre.  Maybe I will give it a try using a relatively small sample of my data.

Sorry not to have seen your reply earlier. I most likely did get the DC email notification, but I was overloaded with a lot of spam - my ISP's server spam filter died (or broke down?) and I was getting literally a few hundred spam messages dropped into my inbox daily! Had to do some major adjusting to my own spam filters to compensate and I'm sure I missed responding to a lot of good messages in the rush.

Thanks again!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2007, 03:55 AM »
Think of it as:
1- a large spreadsheet. The grid is used to filters which row are displayed and which column is displayed, and/or
2- As a filing cabinet. You place items in folders (fields here). Selecting a field as a grid source, displays items in the folder (This is the Ecco Pro metaphor)

Hope this helps!

this is helpful

I've been struggling with the underlying concept
not having used database type software before is probably a handicap...

If I follow the logic and metaphor of point one -
lets see... using SQL-Notes, I dont understand (yet) how (exactly) you filter things so it's probably too soon to be asking questions -
but I'll have a go anyways :)

• Would it be possible to filter one item+subitems (i.e. one of many items) for example from ToDo to another grid?
  • Is it possible to make new columns - I see there's a long list of them already.
  • Is it possible to open a new "spreadsheet" ?
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2007, 07:03 AM »
If I follow the logic and metaphor of point one -
lets see... using SQL-Notes, I dont understand (yet) how (exactly) you filter things so it's probably too soon to be asking questions -
but I'll have a go anyways :)

• Would it be possible to filter one item+subitems (i.e. one of many items) for example from ToDo to another grid?
  • Is it possible to make new columns - I see there's a long list of them already.
  • Is it possible to open a new "spreadsheet" ?

1- To uniquely filter a single item put [Edit] "IDItem = xxx" [/Edited] in the source of a grid. ID Item of the item is seen in the properties pane. The source is the left-most box on the source bar (Grid > View source bar to show it)
2. Columns are fields. Fields can be displayed as a column in a grid, or in one or many forms. View>Manage fields to add a new. Once created, in your grid: Grid > Displayed column to display it (or drag-drop from the properties pane to the grid)
3. To create a new grid: View > Grids > New Grid
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:02 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 12:47 PM »
The SQLNotes wikispace is being enhance to include beginners guide to introduce new users (especially those without Ecco Pro expertise) to the SQLNotes concept:
http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

It is open to all! No need to register to view, comment and make changes. You are all welcomed to visit and contribute. A new Q & A page was added specifically for users questions:
http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/Q+%26+A

(but you can continue to use this forum too. It's your choice!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:54 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Very nice!
Thanks Pierre.
(Will have to take SQLnotes for another serious ride very soon...)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Yes - this will help me a LOT. Not that SQLNotes is hard exactly, but I'm pretty new to the genre so am still "coming up to speed"  :Thmbsup:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Don't we all have zillions of digital photos. And each camera we buy comes with this semi-useless software to manage your photos...

Long time ago, I added an image viewer to SQLNotes. It was not updated and hence disabled. Well it's back:

* Drag-drop files from Explorer to create items with links to the files.
    * In a grid, you have user-defined columns to describe the photo (date, who's there, where, rating, etc)
    * You can add additional information as sub-items (click on the + to see the details, as in Windows Explorer)
    * You can sort, filter, group easily
    * A built-in image viewer, which rotates to show constant size (portrait vs landscape)
    * Double-click on the image will lock the viewer on this photo. Open another viewer to view other photos. You can open as many as you wish (Now you'll like that 21" screen!)
    * If many viewers are opened, as you scroll in the photo list, a different viewer is selected to show the photo. So the last few photos are always visible. Great when a group of people are looking at them.

* Image file is not imported, SQLNotes creates a link, so the SQLNotes file remains real small
    * No imaging editing tool included (would be second rate anyway). You use the editing tools that you prefer! Double-click the item in SQLNotes to open it.
    * You can create many grids where you see some or all of your pictures. Great to view the same photo in different contexts (without making copies)
      i.e. The grid of the best photos of my 4 year-old and the grid of photos of our trip to the east-coast, some of the photos will be the same. No problem!

Plus, coming soon 3 additions which will be useful for this task:

* Automatic folder monitoring. Tell it which folders (i.e. my pictures/*.jpg)  to monitor and any new files will be added to your SQLNotes database automatically, in a separate grid so you know that they need to be documented.
    * File date will be imported into the database (currently only file name and path are imported).
    * Option to create a windows shortcut when linking to the file. Hence moving the file will not break the link (Windows monitors shortcuts automatically)
www.sqlnotes.net

An example will be added very soon in the wikispace

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 06:19 PM »
File date will be imported into the database (currently only file name and path are imported)

If you want this feature to be really useful, I'd suggest allowing for the import of EXIF/IPTC data from image formats that support tagging. (I'm pretty sure there's code on CodeProject.com for this, to save you some time)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Pierre... you're giving birth to a monster. A friendly one, of course.  :Thmbsup:
I find that the multimedia aspect is lacking from other free-form databases/organizationnal tools (for instance, I don't think that asksam has any direct support for images -- but I might be wrong -- jimdoria could probably tell). So, at first sight, it seems good to have image support in... SQLNotes (oups, caution! caution! semantically streched name  ;) ).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Just tried it. Really cool.

Would be nice to be able to cycle through the pictures with a shortcut key (if not already possible).

* Automatic folder monitoring. Tell it which folders (i.e. my pictures/*.jpg)  to monitor and any new files will be added to your SQLNotes database automatically, in a separate grid so you know that they need to be documented.
    * File date will be imported into the database (currently only file name and path are imported).
    * Option to create a windows shortcut when linking to the file. Hence moving the file will not break the link (Windows monitors shortcuts automatically)

These will be great additions.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03 PM »
SQLNotes (or whatever it is finally called) aim at helping you manage your information.
And nowadays, picture files are one hell of an information nightmare. Integrating that with your other information (people, calendar, tasks) is a win-win situation.

Did you try the multi-viewer? Open 4 and as you change picture item, each window gets updated in rotation (best on dual-screen, my second screen is 21" !). No more will you have people say: "Wait, go back to that last one!". And the auto-rotation (portrait-landscape)?
(Double-click to lock a window on an image. )
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:18 PM by PPLandry »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2007, 09:04 PM »
> Cycle keys..

What do you mean?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2007, 09:08 PM »
> Cycle keys..

What do you mean?

"cycle through the pictures with a shortcut key" : Like alt+tab does for witching between windows,  or ctrl+tab, etc., in some apps.

Have to go but will post again later,

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Just to keep you updated:

1- SQLNotes is now capable of printing 1-many relationship data. Examples are sales receipt (sale - sale details),  Consultant billing (Client - Work done), etc. You can even print multiple invoice, for different clients, in 1 step. Use syntax Parent.Fieldname to show the parent value

2- I'm now working on a Date Filter toolbar. This will allow SQLNotes to be used to manage time (i.e. a calendar) and tasks (i.e. todos) more effectively (View schedule for today, this week, this month, etc,  view undone todo's due this week, etc). But it could be used to filter any date related field (want to see items created last month, sales in July, etc)

DateToolbar5.jpg
(in this screenshot, appointments from oct 1 to 22 will be shown  -- 21 days as set in the duration box)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:22 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Damn, this program sounds good.  If only I could figure out how to use it.  granted, I haven't put in the time.  I should do that one day!

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Damn, this program sounds good.  If only I could figure out how to use it.  granted, I haven't put in the time.  I should do that one day!
Did you try reading the doc at http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/ ? It would be a good start. Otherwise, I'm offering a free phone conversation to get you going...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:32 PM by PPLandry »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2007, 03:36 PM »
That's very generous of you, I might have to take you up on that.  However, before I do, I have to give it an honest effort.  I just haven't tried all that hard yet, I'm too freakin busy.  But I'll get around to it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2007, 05:21 PM »
I'm in more or less the same boat as superboyac. I'll try to give it a more comprehensive appraisal this weekend.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2007, 06:11 PM »
I'm in more or less the same boat as superboyac. I'll try to give it a more comprehensive appraisal this weekend.
If you want to see what inspired SQLNotes, you can download Ecco Pro 4.0, which is now freeware (discontinued since 1997).
You'll get a calendar, phonebook and notepads (which are like SQLNotes Grids)
http://www.compusol.org/ecco/

Of course, SQLNotes is NOT a clone of Ecco. It can handle rich text and data much better. Plus Ecco's I/O was limited. At the same time, some features are still missing in SQLNotes for now... but they'll be added!