ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (18/235) > >>

Armando:
Very nice!
Thanks Pierre.
(Will have to take SQLnotes for another serious ride very soon...)

Darwin:
Yes - this will help me a LOT. Not that SQLNotes is hard exactly, but I'm pretty new to the genre so am still "coming up to speed"  :Thmbsup:

PPLandry:
Don't we all have zillions of digital photos. And each camera we buy comes with this semi-useless software to manage your photos...

Long time ago, I added an image viewer to SQLNotes. It was not updated and hence disabled. Well it's back:

* Drag-drop files from Explorer to create items with links to the files.
    * In a grid, you have user-defined columns to describe the photo (date, who's there, where, rating, etc)
    * You can add additional information as sub-items (click on the + to see the details, as in Windows Explorer)
    * You can sort, filter, group easily
    * A built-in image viewer, which rotates to show constant size (portrait vs landscape)
    * Double-click on the image will lock the viewer on this photo. Open another viewer to view other photos. You can open as many as you wish (Now you'll like that 21" screen!)
    * If many viewers are opened, as you scroll in the photo list, a different viewer is selected to show the photo. So the last few photos are always visible. Great when a group of people are looking at them.

* Image file is not imported, SQLNotes creates a link, so the SQLNotes file remains real small
    * No imaging editing tool included (would be second rate anyway). You use the editing tools that you prefer! Double-click the item in SQLNotes to open it.
    * You can create many grids where you see some or all of your pictures. Great to view the same photo in different contexts (without making copies)
      i.e. The grid of the best photos of my 4 year-old and the grid of photos of our trip to the east-coast, some of the photos will be the same. No problem!

Plus, coming soon 3 additions which will be useful for this task:

* Automatic folder monitoring. Tell it which folders (i.e. my pictures/*.jpg)  to monitor and any new files will be added to your SQLNotes database automatically, in a separate grid so you know that they need to be documented.
    * File date will be imported into the database (currently only file name and path are imported).
    * Option to create a windows shortcut when linking to the file. Hence moving the file will not break the link (Windows monitors shortcuts automatically)
www.sqlnotes.net

An example will be added very soon in the wikispace

CWuestefeld:
File date will be imported into the database (currently only file name and path are imported)
-PPLandry (November 12, 2007, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you want this feature to be really useful, I'd suggest allowing for the import of EXIF/IPTC data from image formats that support tagging. (I'm pretty sure there's code on CodeProject.com for this, to save you some time)

Armando:
Pierre... you're giving birth to a monster. A friendly one, of course.  :Thmbsup:
I find that the multimedia aspect is lacking from other free-form databases/organizationnal tools (for instance, I don't think that asksam has any direct support for images -- but I might be wrong -- jimdoria could probably tell). So, at first sight, it seems good to have image support in... SQLNotes (oups, caution! caution! semantically streched name  ;) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version