topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 455520 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #400 on: May 09, 2010, 10:48 AM »
XYPlorer also has a lot of features but TBH I Don’t know how to use a lot of them.

Same here.  I use Total Commander almost all the time.  But when I was at work, XY was brilliant for doing unindexed searches on the company network, especially when I wanted to do something with the found files, not just find where they were.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2010, 03:25 AM »
@ cyberdiva & CWuestefeld,
have you tried the Dopus forum to see what the problem is with reading the respective folders ?
I get the impression they are fairly responsive with bugs and that sounds like a bug to me...

I havent noticed any slow-down in Dopus from v.8 to v.9 myself

Same here, no problem with directories loading slow - sounds like a possible 'interaction with another program' issue.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, running DOpus and then opening the relevant directories?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #402 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27 AM »
I notice that when I have XYPlorer open and minimized to the tray, it eats up some CPU: always 5 to 8% but occasionally jumps to 20% or more. Shouldn’t be active in any way. Maybe it is auto-refreshing periodically? Still seems to use a bit much CPU for that.

Thank you.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Hmm... strange, Jim. I fired up XYplorer on my system and note that I have it set to dual pane with a preview of a jpg open. I checked the CPU usage before minimizing to tray - fluctuated between 0 and 2%, for a few seconds. After I minimized it, I watched it in TaskManager for about five minutes and it is absolutely steady at 0%. I maximized the window again and even with the preview displayed there has been absolutely no CPU activity for the past three or four minutes.

Win 7 64-bit on a notebook running an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (T9300 @2.5Ghz, though I am also running granola on this machine).

Heh, heh - just had a brief "blip" to 1% CPU on xyplorer.exe *32 and it's back to 00...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2010, 03:52 PM »
@ cyberdiva & CWuestefeld,
have you tried the Dopus forum to see what the problem is with reading the respective folders ?
I get the impression they are fairly responsive with bugs and that sounds like a bug to me...
I would swear that I did, several years ago.  I don't recall whether it was for version 8 or 9.  I don't recall getting any genuinely helpful responses.  But the weirdest thing is that I tried earlier today to locate the posting I'd sent and the responses, and I came up empty.  Geez, I dunno...sometimes I don't remember doing something that it turns out I did, but I don't tend to remember doing something that I didn't!  :huh:  I even looked in the long-defunct Yahoo Groups group for DOpus, but I came up empty there too.  So I guess I should amend my response to say that several years ago, I dreamt that I asked about the slow lister behavior in the DOpus forum, but my dream didn't produce any really useful responses.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2010, 03:58 PM »
[...] several years ago, I dreamt that I asked about the slow lister behavior in the DOpus forum, but my dream didn't produce any really useful responses.  :)

;D
Tom

tanis424

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2010, 04:44 PM »
You could try working through the suggestions in this FAQ - http://resource.dopu...viewtopic.php?t=6285

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Hmm... strange, Jim. I fired up XYplorer on my system and note that I have it set to dual pane with a preview of a jpg open. I checked the CPU usage before minimizing to tray - fluctuated between 0 and 2%, for a few seconds. After I minimized it, I watched it in TaskManager for about five minutes and it is absolutely steady at 0%. I maximized the window again and even with the preview displayed there has been absolutely no CPU activity for the past three or four minutes.

Win 7 64-bit on a notebook running an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (T9300 @2.5Ghz, though I am also running granola on this machine).

Heh, heh - just had a brief "blip" to 1% CPU on xyplorer.exe *32 and it's back to 00...

I never noticed it until just recently. Perhaps it is something to do with the latest build? Well all I can do is keep an eye or two on it.

Thank you.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2010, 10:00 PM »
OK - I'm several builds back of the latest beta (dated yesterday) and am installing it now.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08 PM »
So... I went from XYPlorer 9.10.0000 to 9.10.0009 and note that maximized or minimized to the taskbar, XYPlorer is pretty much solid at 00% of my CPU. I changed folders, changed preview to a pdf, changed back to a jpg and the worst "blip" I saw as up to 31% as the pdf preview opened, but it lasted for about 5 seconds, if that and settled back down to 00%, where it remains.

Overall, looking at this makes me wonder if I shouldn't be using XYplorer MORE than I do now (I have DOPus 9 set up as my default) as it seems much lighter...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27 PM »
You could try working through the suggestions in this FAQ - http://resource.dopu...viewtopic.php?t=6285
Thanks very much for the link.  Actually, the past few days, DOpus suddenly seems to be behaving itself.  Perhaps it knew that I was complaining about its sluggishness?  Anyway, if it goes back to its previous bad habits, I'll start going through the list of suggestions. 

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #411 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13 AM »
The official version of XYplorer 9.30 is released (here)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06 AM »
I took the offer on XYplorer. But the thing won't register. I have followed the procedure very carefully. Did you try this? (yeah; I can hear you now: "is he asking if I ever have tried to follow the procedure?" No, I mean, did you try XYplorer not registering?!!) I have of course mailed the author, but so far he just mailed me the procedures again.
 :tellme:

Edit:
It turns out the first auto-generated key was wrong. Mystery solved!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:10 PM by Curt »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2010, 11:11 AM »
The official version of XYplorer 9.30 is released (here)
-cranioscopical (July 16, 2010, 10:13 AM)

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. Got 9.3 now.

Still using DOpus though for every day use; I can't seem to get my mind set on learning how to do all the things I do in DOpus with XYplorer. Every time I decide to give XYplorer an extended go I find myself staring at it, trying to perform some action that is automatic for me in DOpus, and I always end up closing it and using DOpus instead. I haven't found the time to really read up on the XYplorer features or at least the nitty gritty details of how to access them easily. One of these days....

Thanks!

Jim

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #414 on: July 17, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Still using DOpus though for every day use; I can't seem to get my mind set on learning how to do all the things I do in DOpus with XYplorer. Every time I decide to give XYplorer an extended go I find myself staring at it, trying to perform some action that is automatic for me in DOpus, and I always end up closing it and using DOpus instead. I haven't found the time to really read up on the XYplorer features or at least the nitty gritty details of how to access them easily. One of these days....

I feel much the same way. I use DO and TC normally depending on what I need to do. I really like a lot of the features of XY when I read about them, and I have a feeling there's something great in it, but then I run into something simple like the inability to open a zip archive as a folder and I am back in TC again :-[.

I love the portability of XY though, it's nice that the author trusts you enough to not have registered users go through hoops just to use it from an USB stick :Thmbsup:.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #415 on: July 17, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Still using DOpus though for every day use; I can't seem to get my mind set on learning how to do all the things I do in DOpus with XYplorer.
Same here. When I bought DOpus, XYplorer was single-pane or I might have had XYP as my main fm by now. I'm lazy enough that I don't want to learn all of the intricacies of another command set (though XYP continues to grow more interesting, and it's great to see DonL continually improving the piece). Like many of us here I have licenses for a bunch of fm's. I like them all but tend to stick to DOpus on my main machine (partly due to Amiga nostalgia, I expect). I'm sure that most of us have our favourites in many categories of software. I'm equally sure that not all of those reasons are entirely rational — nor should they be.

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2010, 03:39 PM »
I run into something simple like the inability to open a zip archive as a folder and I am back in TC again :-[.
After reading about DOpus & XYplorer for years, I finally took advantage of the DC discount last month and bought XYplorer. I've been using Powerdesk for ten years, and in the last few years have tried out and quickly abandoned dozens of file managers, sticking with Powerdesk.

I guess I should have tried out XYplorer before buying it, but I wanted to cut through the procrastination and so I took a leap of faith. I was flabbergasted to quickly find out that XYplorer can't open a zip file as a file folder--countless other file managers can do this, including Powerdesk and many other free ones. To add to my dismay, when I brought this up in the XYplorer forum, DonL made it clear that he doesn't think this is an important feature to add, despite the fact that it's one of the most-requested features.

I work with zip files a lot and have become habituated to working with them in my file manager. I find the idea of having to use a separate archive manager after having just spent what is for me a lot of $ on a file manager to be really distasteful. For now at least, I'm back to Powerdesk.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #417 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22 AM »
Hmm, this ZIP demand seems to get stronger recently. Can you point me to a free file manager that supports it? I have a couple of questions concerning the functionality and seeing the feature at work would easily answer all of them.

Don

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Hmm, this ZIP demand seems to get stronger recently. Can you point me to a free file manager that supports it? I have a couple of questions concerning the functionality and seeing the feature at work would easily answer all of them.

While not free, you can use DOpus for 60 days, fully functional, on a trial license   :mrgreen:

Otherwise, freecommander will let you Rename/Add/Delete/Quickview files within ZIP archives.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #419 on: July 19, 2010, 03:00 AM »
Otherwise, freecommander will let you Rename/Add/Delete/Quickview files within ZIP archives.
And extract as well, I suppose?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #420 on: July 19, 2010, 03:26 AM »
And extract as well, I suppose?
eerrrr, yes....knew I forgot something  :-[

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #421 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05 PM »

j_hallgren

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #422 on: July 24, 2010, 02:48 PM »
To add to my dismay, when I brought this up in the XYplorer forum, DonL made it clear that he doesn't think this is an important feature to add, despite the fact that it's one of the most-requested features.
Have you read the entire thread over there? You may have missed the latest post by DonL where he says:
Well, I'm quite optimistic that i can do browse and extract for ZIP and RAR in September.  8)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #423 on: July 24, 2010, 09:16 PM »
To add to my dismay, when I brought this up in the XYplorer forum, DonL made it clear that he doesn't think this is an important feature to add, despite the fact that it's one of the most-requested features.
Have you read the entire thread over there? You may have missed the latest post by DonL where he says:
Well, I'm quite optimistic that i can do browse and extract for ZIP and RAR in September.  8)

Notice that the post you linked to was made four days after the post here that mentioned that feature?   8)

Jim

j_hallgren

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #424 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Notice that the post you linked to was made four days after the post here that mentioned that feature?   8)
Note that I'm new on this forum (but have been on XY forums for years and feel I know what's current) so when I saw something here that wasn't maybe quite up to date with status there, I thought it approp to mention that aspect...

In the XY forum thread, DonL switched his position on zip at least twice in that thread as I percieve it...from 'not adding' -to- 'adding it' -to- 'not adding' -to- 'adding some', and I'm not sure how the post timings there mesh or not with those here...it appeared to me that twinkler's comments here maybe reflected the "not" phase rather than the later "adding some" phase...that's all I was referring to.

Also, as of July 13th, DonL indicated that he wasn't against it, just not a priority, and the later post I linked to clarified the time frame involved.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:03 PM by j_hallgren »