topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GemX - missing in action  (Read 267866 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GemX - missing in action
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Now, SQLNotes might become an interesting alternative... Only time will tell!

I started the SQLNotes project 4 years ago and am very committed to it. It has been in production for 2 years, with various levels of functionality, at a number of my customers facilities. The recent opening to the general public, in June 2007, has resulted in 260+ users trying it out and great feedback, which I'll use to add feature and do fine-tuning.

It is the information manager that I use for the last 2 years (replacing Ecco), for note-taking, time-management, contact-management, billing, todo-lists and so features have and will be added, in part, because I need them for my own information management!

Plus unlike just about all other 'innovative software' the SQLNotes data is not locked up in some proprietary format. It now uses JET and could use another (SQLServer, mySQL, SQLite, SQLServer Express) eventually. So if dev. stops (it won't happen, but let us suppose), all your data is completely accessible.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:19 PM by PPLandry »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15 PM »
I mistakenly posted a reply to PPlandry (post above) in the  General brainstorming for Note-taking software ... Sorry about that. In some ways, it might be a better place to  pursue the discussion anyway  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2007, 03:48 PM »
I just DSM'd GemX. I started out planning on being polite and asking once again for "news" on GemX and it's catalogue's future, but kitty turned rabid and I wound up demanding a refund on the cost of upgrading to Do-Organizer from TexNotes Pro on August 13 :o Having made the threat I am off to try to find an avenue to make good on it (I don't imagine that DSM is the right channel for this kind of thing). If nothing else, *maybe* the threat of a refund request will elicit a response - any response!

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Good for you, Darwin!!

Keep us posted - but pleeeaaaasssse don't hold your breath.......

"wink"

sigh... (ido2!!)
What you allow, you encourage...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Sigh... - have you found your perfect "multi-calendar PIM" ?

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2007, 07:19 PM »
I just DSM'd GemX. I started out planning on being polite and asking once again for "news" on GemX and it's catalogue's future, but kitty turned rabid and I wound up demanding a refund on the cost of upgrading to Do-Organizer from TexNotes Pro on August 13 :o Having made the threat I am off to try to find an avenue to make good on it (I don't imagine that DSM is the right channel for this kind of thing). If nothing else, *maybe* the threat of a refund request will elicit a response - any response!

Maybe that will work. Re-send the refund/request periodically... harass till you get an answer... don't give up... :huh:

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2007, 07:19 PM »
If nothing else, *maybe* the threat of a refund request will elicit a response - any response!

Any news Darwin?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2007, 07:42 PM »
No word yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to request a refund (given that they state quite clearly that they will not issue refunds because of their generous 60 day trial, I doubt they have a mechanism in place to deal with them, so DSM is probably as good an avenue as any).

I'll keep you all posted!

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Sigh... - have you found your perfect "multi-calendar PIM" ?

well, i may have, but it is still in the alpha stages of development unfortunately.  it is called "nighthawk" - i think you gave me some programs to go to and one of them led me to Nighthawk!  it seems it will be wonderful when it ever gets out of its alpha stage and then out of its beta stage!

see link for Nighthawk below:

http://www.nowsoftwa...ex.html#SlideFrame_1

i am going to email them to see if they have or will incorporate side by side calendars - i keep using the term "muliple calendars", but what i really mean is "side-by-side" - i need to keep and see 4 calendars at once (like i could in "you know what"), yet see the info all next to each other.

the one that i may end up using until nighthawk is available to trial, will be essentialPIM.  however, i really like Red Box (http://www.inklinegl...ducts/rbo/index.html) (there is a newer version (6) available also) - but i cannot have multiple calendars and what i don't like is that multiple appts that overlapped APPEAR overlapped - i have a real issue with that - other than that, it is a really cool interface.  

so, i am not sure if i have answered your question, Armando!!!   ;)

Outlook is not bad - i guess i don't use it/like it b/c i teach it - that might not make any sense - i am not really much of a Microsoft fan  -  possibly due to security issues with Microsoft in general......

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2007, 07:49 PM »
No word yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to request a refund (given that they state quite clearly that they will not issue refunds because of their generous 60 day trial, I doubt they have a mechanism in place to deal with them, so DSM is probably as good an avenue as any).

remember to keep breathing in the meantime..hahaha

DO, was EXACTLY what i needed - but it is soo buggy that i cannot continue to use it.  for example, when i wanted to scroll thru my day view to see what i was going the next month,  sometimes NOTHING would show - and i would like have a mild heart attack, but then when i would scroll up and then back down again, everything would be there!   that was terrible!!

they promised to fix so many things and never did - i had my own list in scribe of things i wanted them to fix - that were either "next action", "someday", etc.  hell, Tiptop created a database  - i bet they never looked at it!!  i am starting to get really warm......need to stop this rant...

anyway....

i hate that i was such a staunch supporter of GemX, in retrospect!!   even near the "end", i just knew they would come thru...

damn, damn, damn
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:47 PM by sigh... »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2007, 07:59 PM »

Nighthawk looks really nice!
Thanks for the feedback!

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2007, 08:17 PM »

Why not use multiple avenues...? [dsm, email, blog] - use all you can... be persistant - you just might get through... and yes, let us know...

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2007, 08:45 PM »
so much they promised to fix (little things) and never did - i had my own list in scribe of things i wanted them to fix.  hell, Tiptop created the database  - i bet they never looked at it!! 

Instead of "fixing", they offered to their loyal users THOUSANDS (almost millions) of new icons everywhere to highlight all the bugs not fixed...

all those "little things" are "big" things... but icons are BIGGER, BIGGER, BIGGER... :tellme:

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2007, 08:13 AM »

Good for you, Darwin!!!  i did my weekly trek to the GemX site, forum, and blog and saw your post.

i was thinking about letting the other GemX users/forum members know about donation coder as well - so the whole "family" could be together again (smirk)...so good for you!!

i have my fingers crossed for you......sigh.....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:17 AM by sigh... »

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2007, 04:06 PM »
GemX prides itself on its customer support - claiming that it's "probably the support service in the industry". Since I bought my first GemX product, TexNotes Pro a year or so ago,

Why don't you try TreeDBNotes PRO? It's much better than Texnotes...
You have the multi-tab feature - just that goes well beyond Texnotes. If you don't want contacts and passwords trees, simply do not insert them. The contacts cards are nice though. But, TreeDB has enough versatility to allow you to use the tabs uniquely for note taking. You can also publish a multi-tabbed eBOOK.

TreeDB allows you to "lock" tabs and individual "notes" for privacy. You can set up tabs across the screen and build a useful database of notes. The capability to build several trees into one database is very powerful. You can also LINK to other notes... and better still, YOU CAN LINK to any note in any tab... and...

TreeDB
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:53 PM by doublewitt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Just out of curiosity - what's 'DSM'?

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity - what's 'DSM'?

Direct Support Messaging System... without the support   8)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Yes, sorry, should have clarified that. Just to update everyone, none of my "DSM"s have garnered a response and neither have the e-mails and responses to the blog. Silence. Stony. Absolute. A tomb.

Doublewitt - thanks for the TreeNotesDB link. I haven't yet done so, but I WILL take a look.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46 PM »
They close with no public notice beforehand: Ya don't just pull the plug on people like that. That's very unprofessional - totally unjustified - and no class at all...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Looks increasingly like you are correct, Doublewitt. The lights are on at GemX but clearly no one is home. I've got multiple e-mails and DSM's into them (as I've no doubt others on this thread have as well) and I might as well be yelling into a void. Nothing.

Anyone know how to go about getting a credit card provider to take up the issue of a refund? The money's gone but it would be a) nice to have it back (obviously!) b) (more to the point) I'd like to rattle their cage a bit. This is unconscionable.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Well... have now registered a complaint with SWREG and requested a refund. Next step, I guess is to get in touch with my credit card compay. Kind of pissed me off reading the confirmation e-mail that I received on August 13 and from which I quote:

Updates
------------------
You will be entitled to receive minor version 3.x updates at no charge.
We encourage any feedback you might have on our software or any
problems that you may encounter. So please write in and tell us what
you think, we are very open to suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support
------------------
You are entitled to Direct Support for the lifetime of the software.
To use Direct Support, please login to the Registered Users area on
the GemX website and send us a Direct Support Message (DSM) for a
guaranteed reply.

WTF? Is this the same company that I've been trying to get in touch, with absolutely no success, since the middle of August?

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46 PM »
It's a shame - it really is...
Service used to be so good - but - somehow - it dropped below sea level! And now they're drowning beneath it all... They definately can get into heavy "legal" trouble with false advertising. It just takes ONE person to stir things up in a courtroom. They are playing with fire - and they are not careful - they just might get their fingers burned... I hope you can find a remedy.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Still no response of any kind. I've just uninstalled TNP and Do-Organizer from my system. I don't see much point keeping them around when they are not supported and not being developed. I haven't used TNP in literally months and stopped using Do-Organizer for anything other than "kicks' (ie to satisfy my thrist to play around with new and unfamilar software packages) a couple of weeks ago.

If the company has fissioned because of internal problems, it will be interesting to see if any of the developers come out with new, similar products in the next few months/years.

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2007, 10:07 PM »
in a really perfect world...

wouldn't it be great - if we could get together amongst our group, and design and program our own PIM?  if we had some developers/programmers amongst us..

we could put all the best elements of DO together (but make them all "work") and have great tech support, etc. 

it would be a very exciting and the best PIM ever..

as i have been doing a very exhaustive search for a new comprehensive PIM, none compare to DO's features - (as trivial as this is, i really miss the quotes feature - it was kinda nice to see my quotes and i had over 500 of them too!!!) but i too, can't use DO like Darwin - i have tried as of this week.  i teach computer classes at a university and i cannot afford to look at my month calendar view and not see all of the appts one minute and then change views, come back to the month view and all of a sudden the entire month view of classes is there!!  its maddening - and so many things that were not fixed - and i think that a few of them were small things that weren't fixed - obviously some weren't.

but i tell you some things that disturbed me early (even when things were good):

1.  they did not concentrate on making sure that the initial features were working properly
2.  inconsistency between modules  - some features should have not only been evident in all the modules, but even placed in the same place - i.e.  the Private check box.  trivial, but not organized or thought out well - it was in the middle of a few modules and offset in others when it could have been centered.
3.  explanations that Peter would give for some forum members questions made me raise an eyebrow - how something could not be done - and it was CLEARLY accomplished in other PIM's.  i was going to debate with him on something that DO did not currently have (but could have), that he said it would not work and it clearly even worked in Outlook.  or his explanation was stooooooopid - for example - importing holidays into the calendar.  it should have been a very easy process, but the explanation given never worked for me
4.  development of the Finance module - it was soooo incomplete - i don't expect Excel, but geez!!
5.  the planner - should have been automatically linked to the calendar - if i make a vacation occurrence, why couldn't it show in the planner automatically?  other PIM's that have planners do.

and i could go on and on as you guys probably can too (we won't even get into Palm synching)

i just don't think that they were very organized - never updated their help area, blogs, etc. and explanations of how to do some things weren't clear - and when they were working hard at a new update, they would "disappear" - i guess at that point, we should have comprehended the lack of communication then - b/c we surely see it now!!  but probably for different reasons.

well, anyway, Darwin, i sure hope you are able to get somewhere with what you are doing?  i am really pulling for you!!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for your support sigh. I don't realistically expect anything to come of this, but at least I feel like I'm "ringing their bell". Hopefully this will result in at the very least an announcement on the website so that everyone will have an answer to what is going on (or not, as the case may be)...