topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GemX - missing in action  (Read 266747 times)

celtichare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GemX - missing in action
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Armando - had a quick look at SQLnotes - I liked the concept of Ecco without really seriously getting into it - once installed and run SQLnotes generated about 100 weird pop up error boxes each time I tried to access a tab! I'll give it another try maybe when they have sorted out whatever bug causes this!  :D

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Armando - had a quick look at SQLnotes - I liked the concept of Ecco without really seriously getting into it - once installed and run SQLnotes generated about 100 weird pop up error boxes each time I tried to access a tab! I'll give it another try maybe when they have sorted out whatever bug causes this!  :D

Sorry to hear that the the installation was not successful. Most users report proper installation and operation. If you want, report it on the forums at www.sqlnotes.net. We should be able to fix it. We're preparing a new update and could include a quick fix.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 05:49 PM »
They could have "at least" posted a message on the blog... :-\

Maybe some would like this software: TotalText Container.
Totally OPEN-SOURCE and FREE.
There is a "Download latest version" link on this page:
http://mtirnanic.googlepages.com/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:12 PM by doublewitt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I agree doublewitt. Unfortunately, today marks one year exactly since the blog was updated!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Just checked - looks like the blog was somebody's pet project for a couple of months and then was abandoned. An "amazing" total of seven (7) posts.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Obviously, something is wrong... with their attitude.
After the blog was setup, quickly after, the forum appeared and so the blog was left behind...

I haven't seen TotalText Container mentioned anywhere in this forum - pretty interesting software...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2007, 06:36 PM »
After the blog was setup, quickly after, the forum appeared and so the blog was left behind...

Yeah, that's what I figured... after posting the above note, I went back and looked more closely at the blog and that is one of the prominent postings there.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Armando - had a quick look at SQLnotes - I liked the concept of Ecco without really seriously getting into it - once installed and run SQLnotes generated about 100 weird pop up error boxes each time I tried to access a tab! I'll give it another try maybe when they have sorted out whatever bug causes this!  :D

Welcome to DC ! Thanks for the feedback!

Armando - had a quick look at SQLnotes - I liked the concept of Ecco without really seriously getting into it - once installed and run SQLnotes generated about 100 weird pop up error boxes each time I tried to access a tab! I'll give it another try maybe when they have sorted out whatever bug causes this!  :D

Sorry to hear that the the installation was not successful. Most users report proper installation and operation. If you want, report it on the forums at www.sqlnotes.net. We should be able to fix it. We're preparing a new update and could include a quick fix.

And welcome too, PPLandry! I know you're an Ecco expert, from the yahoo Ecco group. Hope you'll participate here too. Have you looked at the General brainstorming for Note-taking software thread?

(Sorry to those who are intensely discussing GemX matters... Hope it's not considered too off-topic  :-[)

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2007, 06:43 PM »
TotalText Container has multiple calendar support. That's a referral for "sigh". With this software, you can insert calendars everywhere...!

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Before the forum blacked out, they announced an update in approx 2 weeks, but now, it's well over 2 months... and that with "0" communication since then about the issue... no concern for the clients... they leave you hanging on a limb...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2007, 07:27 PM »
>>And welcome too, PPLandry! I know you're an Ecco expert, from the yahoo Ecco group. Hope you'll participate here too. Have you looked at the General brainstorming for Note-taking software thread?

Thanks. Yes I'm a long time Ecco user and designer of SQLNotes (code name) which takes the Ecco outline/grid concept and improves on it. Currently SQLNotes is missing some PIM aspects, but it already is a great Note-taker, 1 or 2 pane outliner with grid, and overall flexible database. Everybody is welcomed to download a free copy at www.sqlnotes.net. (and please report any problems to help clean it up.). Runs on Windows and Mac under Parallels.

I have seen and read that thread with great interest, along with the summary at https://www.donation...oteTakers1/index.php :

Great work, perhaps it could be updated with some SQLNotes info  :)

Pierre
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2007, 10:50 PM »
I'm a long time Ecco user and designer of SQLNotes (code name) which takes the Ecco outline/grid concept and improves on it.
Another developer!  8)

I haven’t tried SQLnotes yet, but I will happily install it in a week or two, when I have more time.

The feature list is impressive and the GUI looks very nice and ergonomic… I’m already curious about some aspects and how they’re implemented (like the “Item tagging” feature, the “exporting” features, etc.)

[off-topic]One thing: I’ve seen that SQLnotes doesn’t sync directly with palm devices (like many other PIM/organizers — apart from Outlook, Info Select , EssentialPIM pro, Lotus Organizer and a few others, some dead…). That’s one thing that will probably hold me back as I’m relying on my palm a lot and don’t like the idea of having a "permanently running Outlook" in the background just for the purpose of syncing (I decided against Achieve planner for this reason). Hence I use… Outlook 2003… (but often wish I wasn’t. for many reasons — for instance, I find the non hierarchical task management system in Outlook fairly limiting and have to be pretty creative to circumvent these constraints). Anyhow. Maybe I’ll like SQLnotes so much I’ll just accept the “going through” Outlook aspect. [/off-topic]

Great work, perhaps it could be updated with some SQLNotes info  :)

Yes, that would be nice. I wonder if superboyac will do a second “roundup”, eventually… It would certainly mean a LOT of work...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09 PM »
>I’ve seen that SQLnotes doesn’t sync directly with palm devices (like many other PIM/organizers — apart from Outlook, Info Select , EssentialPIM pro, Lotus Organizer and a few others, some dead…).

It is definitely planned (Palm, PocketPC, etc.):

1- Perhaps as an add-on tool. An COM/ActiveX is in the works enabling developers to directly link/manipulate SQLNotes data. The ActiveX will trigger 3rd party dev. work. This is one possible avenue.

2- The other avenue is more global and involves Web calendars (Google, AirSet, etc). These do/will support PDA/Phone sync. 2-way live sync between SQLNotes and such Web calendars would allow combined calendars (work, home, spouse, friends) to sync to your PDA/Phone/MP3 device.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Nice! Thanks for the quick feed back, Pierre.

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2007, 11:15 AM »
@Sigh...

Well, there's Info Select. Pretty expensive. But does what you're looking for. And much more, probably.

i checked out Info Select - though you cannot trial it - and as expensive as it is, i would really want to trial it first.  with my luck, i bet that would have been the perfect showcase for my multi - calendar, tasks, contacts, overview and massive customizational needs!  ahaha!!!
What you allow, you encourage...

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Obviously, something is wrong... with their attitude.

actually, their "way" of doing things had been going on for awhile, i noticed - almost from the inception.  what i mean is that, while it was great to introduce new modules (spreadsheets, etc), they did not perfect (accent on second syllable) the modules that they already had. and not really even perfect them, but ensure that they were working properly before jumping into something else.  they were notorious for that.  that used to really bother me. 

usually when things like that happen, unless the company is really large and they can delegate specific modules to a dedicated team or person, then a lot falls thru the cracks.

there were sooooooooooooo many unfinished issues with DO.

i just think that they were not very organized  - and i would know, b/c i am obsessively organized.

funny making a program for organizing many things, and they, themselves were not.  interesting....

dawn (formerly ido2!!)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Actually, you can now trial Info Select, but have you have to supply them with your Name + Email address.

http://www.miclog.co...rodmap_product_id=17

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2007, 11:26 AM »
TotalText Container has multiple calendar support. That's a referral for "sigh". With this software, you can insert calendars everywhere...!

as i have been searching for new PIM's, total text is NOW one of the top 3 that i am trying out. Thanks a LOT for this one!!!  it is proving to be quite useful!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 12:51 PM by sigh... »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Totaltext seems interesting... Wonder about the support, etc.

celtichare

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2007, 01:06 PM »
I've just come across a very interesting contender to do-O - it's called Chaos Intellect and looks very cool - need to test drive it for a while but it seems promising as a PIM and email app but not a lot of functionality for note taking as yet.  :Thmbsup: http://www.chaossoftware.com/

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2007, 06:04 PM »
I've just come across a very interesting contender to do-O - it's called Chaos Intellect and looks very cool - need to test drive it for a while but it seems promising as a PIM and email app but not a lot of functionality for note taking as yet.  :Thmbsup: http://www.chaossoftware.com/

Yes, looks interresting. A kind of Outlook clone. Tell us what it's like.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Not sure if it is just me but after the Do-O experience I find it hard to commit to a new integrated organizer of any kind .

The trouble is in trying to determine whether software will continue to be developed/maintained/supported for a reasonable time at least. With many other types of software I can usually change product or company fairly easily. But with 'organizer' software you can end up with your whole 'organized life' embedded in a single application. Even where export is possible this can still be a huge task!

Currently I am falling back on on old combo of OneNote and EssentialPim - OneNote has impressed me recently (improving on it's earlier releases) and is network aware. EssentialPim comforts me because it 'keeps' being developed (not as fast as some might like, but steadily).

I have used Time and Chaos before - from the makers of Chaos Intellect (see Celtichare) but found it lacked the flexibility I needed. The good thing is Time and Chaos has been developed steadily for many years and they do have a proven record which IS a good thing.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Truth be told - I seriously regret buying Do-Organizer - I'm perfectly content with Outlook 2003, a point driven home by my experience making an experimental move to Do-Organizer. I wanted to support development of both Do-Organizer and TexNotes Pro and was interested in the notes module (Scribe) as well as the Favourites organizer, and the simple Mind Mapper. All of it has turned out to be disappointing (I *thought* I might fall in love with the e-mail client and move over completely, replacing Outlook). Sadly, none of the components is really compelling enough to have warranted the purchase and I rarely even open it up anymore.

Yes, I had the opportunity to trial it for 60 days. I didn't. Mea culpa. However, I am mightly cheesed off that I appear to have thrown money away on abandonware. Like I said, I wanted to support development - I've enjoyed TexNotes Pro for the last year - but I don't perceive supporting development as equalling tossing my money into a fire (that then goes out!). Wish I hadn't bothered. They're quite clear on their FAQ that they do not provide refunds but I feel somewhat misused, having made the purchase literally days before the forum went down. There have been no updates, no news, nothing since. Part of me wonders if I might get a response to a refund request, stating the reasons outlined above, but I doubt it. I'm certain that if I did get a reply it would run along the lines of "We're in active development so fear not. Besides, you had 60 days to try the software out, etc.,etc."

Just rambling...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2007, 06:33 PM »
The trouble is in trying to determine whether software will continue to be developed/maintained/supported for a reasonable time at least. With many other types of software I can usually change product or company fairly easily. But with 'organizer' software you can end up with your whole 'organized life' embedded in a single application. Even where export is possible this can still be a huge task!

This one of the reasons why I still use Outlook 2003. At least, it won't die tomorrow. My data is way too important  to depend on a company's mood.

There are not that many organizer that have been (and will be) around long enough, and which provide all the functionalities I need, for me to justify moving my data and loosing some of it in the process. The only one I considered at some point were Info Select, Essential PIM, for Windows, and Kontact and evolution for Linux. But in the end I decided to stick with Outlook (and don't use Linux as much anymore...).

Now, SQLNotes might become an interesting alternative... Only time will tell!

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Darwin said:
I wanted to support development of both Do-Organizer and TexNotes Pro

Yes. That's one of the things that has saddened me a little about the GemX thing. There were people interested in actually developing and debugging and who would actually have (probably) put up with bugs so long as there was real and transparent motivation from the developers.

Armando said:
This one of the reasons why I still use Outlook 2003. At least, it won't die tomorrow. My data is way too important  to depend on a company's mood.

Yes too! I don't use Outlook (have in the past) but at least Microsoft are likely to stick around for a while.

Trouble is 'innovation' is at the same time beautiful, yet unpredictable. In the case of Do-O there were some wonderful ideas, but a slightly random approach to implementation. For example, the 'mailer module' allowed integration with tasks and scribe (notes) but lacked some core functionality that I require in a mailing client. I made the mistake of switching all my email into the Do-O mailer and then having to reverse my decision when the cons outweighed the pluses. That in itself took away a great deal of the Do-O attractiveness. My decision to use the mail module at all was made at a time when the 'energy' at Gemx was buzzing and I kind of trusted that with customer feedback and continued development there would be changes and bug fixes.

I wonder if Gemx saw their main customer base as being Outlook users. Unfortunately corporations and business who use Outlook as de facto organizational software are also extremely slow to consider 'new' alternatives so it would have been so hard for Gemx to retrieve their development costs. I wonder, also, if the arrival of Vista and Outlook 2007 was a crunch time. Porting Do-O over to Vista (fully) came at a time when Gemx were (are?) still ironing out bugs in XP etc. We may never know...