topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 7:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for June 15th, 2007 - Codename "Heat Wave"  (Read 14338 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for June 15th, 2007 - Codename "Heat Wave"
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Newsletter for June 15th, 2007
Codename "Heat Wave"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our BLOG"

1. DonationCoder.com News
Do you wake up in the middle of the night with a cold sweat fearing that you missed some important news on our website?  We didn't think so.  But you might still be interested in catching up on some official news from the site.

2. Editor's Corner
Welcome to another edition of the newsletter.  We normally do two a month, but occasionally things get backlogged and we end up with one giant one.  This "Editor's Corner" section is a new part of the newsletter, where I'll try to write some informal comments about the website in order to make this newsletter worth reading even for the hardcore forum members.  For this newsletter I just want to tell you about some cool stuff coming up in July, because I'm really excited about it.

Find and Run Robot v2 Beta will *finally* be released to the public after over 6 months of constant development.  It's a huge leap forward from version 1, and with the plugin contest ending in July, it should be a big month for FARR.  The new update checking code should be in place by then as well, which means update checking for all DonationCoder software, and perhaps 3rd party software as well(!).  Forum member Gothic and I have also been working on a very cool top secret open source project which is bound to create some interest from some other communities.  And hopefully by then Wordzilla will unveil his improved forum searching code.

3. Your Input Requested!
We want your participation on the DC forum! It's ok if you're normally shy and reserved and scared to post questions and comments -- we give you permission to make an exception for these posts.  Some people think our forum is only for expert power users, but it's really a giant mix of users, and we want you to participate, regardless of your background.  So take a deep breath and jump in!

4. Reviews and Mini-Reviews
You'll find two kinds of reviews on DonationCoder.com: Big Comparative Reviews, and Short single-program Mini-reviews.  This month we have a bit of both for you.

5. Discounts for June
Supporting Members, you've only got until June 17 to enter the shareware giveaway drawing, and only until the end of the month to take advantage of this month's discounts:

6. General Software Discussion
Above all else, discussion on the DonationCoder.com forum focuses around software, old and new, and finding the best tool for the job.  Have a question or want advice on what program to use? Ask it!

7. Fun and Games
Our readers are obsessed with productivity and time management, but even the hardest workers need an occasional quick burst of recreation and diversion.  Nothing too complicated -- just enough to recharge your batteries.

8. The Wonderful World of the Web
Are you suffering from IOS (Internet Overload Syndrome)?  We thought so.  Have you just figured out what web2.0 means? (get ready because web3.0 is coming soon).  To help reduce your overload, here's a list of some of the more interesting website discussions, debates, and discoveries that have come up on the forum over the last month..

9. Developer's Corner
Don't be thrown off by the name of this section on our forum.  It's not just for programmers.  It's also for people interested in starting their own business and website developers, students and entrepreneurs.  Even if you're not sure whether you belong in that category, you might want to peek your head in and see if there's anything interesting out there that might want you to start up a new hobby.

10. Website of the Month
Our website of the month in June is Gizmo's Tech Support Alert. Gizmo is a great guy and his generous inclusion of some of our software in his freeware lists has brought some of the nicest people to our site.  Gizmo's list of Best Freeware Utilities is legendary, and his newsletter has developed a well deserved devoted following.  Highly recommended for anyone who loves software!

And did you know that DonationCoder.com has a list of all of our past best-of-the-web recommendations? Well now you do.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:26 PM by mouser »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for June 15th, 2007 - Codename "Heat Wave"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:09 PM »
3. Your Input Requested!
We want your participation on the DC forum! It's ok if you're normally shy and reserved and scared to post questions and comments -- we give you permission to make an exception for these posts.

As a college instructor I've come to appreciate that the old maxim "there is no such thing as a stupid question" is a truism. Thus, everyone PLEASE feel free to post your questions and comments in these forums - do not feel shy or inhibited. I did when I first joined two years ago but found that I had joined one of the friendliest, most helpful and most supportive communities to which I've ever had the privilege to belong. Kudos to mouser for creating such a warm, welcoming, and inclusive site.

johnnyfive

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Keep up the good work. This is a good site. Thanks so much for letting me be a part.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Welcome to donationcoder johnnyfive! :)

karlyRana

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Whispered Dreams
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 07:43 PM »
This was a great news letter for me! I downloaded noise.exe because my computer will log me off if not active  :-[ And the discovery of dailylit.com was great! I joined and I love it already! I am now finishing up the news letter and am going to read 101 blogging essentials.
Keep up the great work guys! :Thmbsup:
People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 04:22 AM »
Good call on Gizmo's Tech Support Alert site. I've been a paid supporter for a couple of years and enjoy every issue. Ian's a great guy and works hard to produce a well-thought out, useful newsletter. A quality netizen if there ever was one.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

skybright

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:33 AM »
If it wasn't for Gizmo I would not of known about this great site!!! :Thmbsup: