topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: teracopy: copy your files faster  (Read 119682 times)

DesertEagle

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Code Sector
    • Donate to Member
Re: teracopy: copy your files faster
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2007, 07:56 AM »
Based on the performance information submitted I did stick to explorer (or the file queue in wincommander) at first for small files, but they do get hung up if any question turns up. Which is annoying when trying to move lots of files over 1 day...

Yes, TeraCopy currently is optimized for transferring large files, either between disks on the same HDD (using large buffer) or on the different physical HDDs (using asynchronous read/writes). But these routines is useless when copying small files. I'll make a separate routine to handle small files in the future versions.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2007, 07:09 AM »
In the end I decided that whatever speed increase on small files was more than undone by the number of times the normal copy go stuck, and used teracopy even for the small files.

vivy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2007, 10:05 PM »
is DesertEagle from codesector?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2007, 10:35 PM »
yes he is.. it's there on his profile.. :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2007, 03:15 PM »
I'm a little hesitant to post this since there are apparently some problems with Code Sector's product support. But some people seem to like TeraCopy, so for those who might want to take the plunge, there's a 40% discount on Code Sector's products (including TeraCopy Pro) until 26 Dec 2007.  There seems to be 2 codes that work right now - maybe one will last longer than the posted expiration.

Coupon code: Christmas

or

Coupon code: CSD-40D

http://www.codesector.com/buy.php

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2007, 08:11 PM »
I have been using Tera Copy 2 Beta for, I think, over a month and I like it. Definitely faster than without.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20 PM »
I have been using Tera Copy 2 Beta for, I think, over a month and I like it. Definitely faster than without.

Shhhhhh! Don't get Nighted riled up - it's almost Christmas for Pete's sake!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2007, 12:21 AM »
Shhhhhh! Don't get Nighted riled up - it's almost Christmas for Pete's sake!
;D ;D ;D

P.S. text size increased when i posted this. must be a bug.. :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2007, 09:56 PM »
I just used terracopy (for the first time) to copy multiple big directories.  This was free version, latest beta.

Really nice experience -- I love how it integrates into the shell and QUEUES up copy operations.  This was the main reason i wanted to use it, so i could queue up copies.  The shell integration makes it really easy to use.

Thumbs up from me.  :up:

note: supercopier looks good too.. the lack of shell integration makes it a bit more cumbersome to use, but then again the lack of shell integration might be a plus if you only use it once per year and dont want extra stuff in your context menu.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:00 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Whichever program you choose -- this is a very useful kind of tool to have in your toolchest when you need to queue up a lot of moving+copying.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Teracopy is nice.

I just want to "warn" those who happen to copy files from X1 (and maybe from other desktop search interface too, I don't know) that teracopy and other file managers using special "copying/moving etc. system" seems to  modify filenames case according to X1's own stupid filename modifications.

i.e. : X1 usually display all files in lower case (or will arbitrarily modify the case to something different), even if they're not really in lower case ; and if you copy them from X1 to a folder using teracopy, the filenames will be transformed according to X1's own screwed up displaying. I've read that this happens with some file managers like DO and the like.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2007, 11:28 PM »
Funny, I just ordered Teracopy and came to DC to check the thread and someone just posted.  Weird.  $11.97 during their Xmas sale for 2 more days (includes all future versions).  I puchased Audio Sliders back in January of 2001 from CodeSector as well, updates have been very minimal to none, but I have never needed support with it, unlike some unfortunate souls ;) (I won't mention any names for fear of waking...) So we shall see how support goes this time around as I expect to use this much more than Audio Sliders at the time.  I tried Teracopy 1 & 2.0 beta a couple weeks ago as I moved many smaller (<200gb) external hard drives onto a few bigger ones.  I was saving about 5-7 minutes per 60 minutes of transfer time over standard windows explorer transfers (this was consistent over transferring many of hundreds of gigs).  Anywho, I was just copying old DVD-R's that I had burned 4-5 years ago back to these new hard drives for more accessible storage and I was receiving cylindric transfer errors.  So I reverted back to Teracopy, so I could track which files were erroring out on a mass transfer.  It doesn't fully complete the transfer of "good" files when it finds errors, but hopefully it will in the future.  So far I have yet to receive my license (25 minutes later).  I probably should have tried the other programs mentioned in this thread first, but oh well.  Impressions seem to be positive and for the first time in a long time there seems to be consistent activity on the Code Sector website and response from support, so we shall see if it lasts... :)

Liquidmantis

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I had some emails go completely unacknowledged back when I originally tried Direct Folders but it seems like Jeff (DesertEagle) with Code Sector is actively developing and is replying to comments on the new blog.  Given the improved communication, I took a gamble and just bought Direct Folders and TeraCopy.  Hopefully I don't end up regretting it but $25 is a lot better than $40.

In reply to one of the comments on his blog he mentions that he'll be picking up development on Direct Folders after the stable release of TeraCopy 2, thought to be in another week or two.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2007, 10:20 PM »
In reply to one of the comments on his blog he mentions that he'll be picking up development on Direct Folders after the stable release of TeraCopy 2, thought to be in another week or two.

Good on both counts. Direct Folders is in desperate need of some stability bug fixes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Can anyone tell me what differences there are in the Pro version of TeraCopy?  The web site mentions only two additional features:  1) Select files with the same extension/same folder, and 2) Remove selected files from the copy queue.  Plus "Priority Support".  Any other significant differences?

Thanks.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10 AM »
be careful with the lack of remove files from free version, there is a delete files button and when i couldnt find a button for clearing the list i pushed it.. at which point it started DELETING files.. not cool.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2007, 12:41 AM »
be careful with the lack of remove files from free version, there is a delete files button and when i couldnt find a button for clearing the list i pushed it.. at which point it started DELETING files.. not cool.

Ouch!  That's a truly dangerous "feature".  I would want a way to disable that button.  Even knowing what it does, it's not a good button to even be there!

Thanks for the heads-up mouser!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2007, 12:53 AM »
agreed, this button really does not belong here, and if it is, it should come with a GIANT warning instead of one that i read and still assumed it would just clear the file list.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2008, 02:41 AM »
Ouch! That's outrageous! I think we should all boycott Codesector!
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2008, 02:44 AM »
keep your protest signs in the closet! It's a great program.. just this little GUI issue i think is trouble.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2008, 06:24 AM »
Ouch! That's outrageous! I think we should all boycott Codesector!

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :harhar: :harhar: :harhar: :harhar: :harhar: :harhar:

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2008, 07:41 AM »
I'll make you a deal...give me a license for Teracopy and I promise to keep my mouth shut. (I'll also refrain from posting the mooning smilies). I'll even make a post saying how great you are everytime Codesector software is mentioned for the next 6 months.  :D
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24 PM »
PerigreeCopy - http://www.xmission....jstanley/pscopy.html

Screenshot:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3459/perigreecopysshp1.png
teracopy: copy your files faster

License - Open Source (GPL)
Size - 353 KBs
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:49 PM by Zero3K »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2008, 11:27 PM »
But... it doesn't do the primary thing teracopy does... copy things faster!

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Hmm, At least its smaller than Teracopy and is opensource :) (meaning, someone could improve its write speed if he/she wants to)