topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why don't you pay for software?  (Read 47689 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why don't you pay for software?
« on: May 22, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Interesting discussion over at Download Squad regarding the question: Why don't you pay for software?

We're talking to those of you who download that great piece of donationware that beats the pants off the $40 alternative, but still don't even drop so much as $1 in the PayPal tip jar. We wanted to pop this question because we're seeing better and better software coming from open source, donationware and shareware developers, and yet many of them are still having a hard time making a living doing something they love, which is creating the products we obviously appreciate.

Read the full post, and then check out the comments. I'm glad to see someone using the term donationware!

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why don't you pay for software?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42 PM »
Doesn't sound too promising for donationware authors.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Oh cripes... here we go again! Suffice it to say, I don't see a dislike for MS business model to be suffiicent excuse for continuing to use their products without paying for them. WTF? One poster goes on about how he relishes in pirating their stuff because he doesn't like their attitude, which he summarizes as:

I do NOT pay for Microsoft products and a quick poll shows that neither do my friends or family. Should Baller resign and the company policy does a reversal from "*uck the user, who cares if it works" to one of sincere quality and user accommodation, I will reconsider my pirating ways.

If the software is so bad, why are you using it, pirated or otherwise?! Post hoc rationalizing if you ask me... oh, you didn't? Too bad...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:08 AM by Darwin »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:44 AM »
i like using pirated software because i like johnny depp.

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:02 AM »
i don't pay for software because i don't have to
no windows on any of my computers ;-)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:09 AM »
If you become a linux software developer does your body learn to convert air to food?

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 06:26 AM »
If you become a linux software developer does your body learn to convert air to food?

no.
it doesn't have to...

stupid ignorant prejudices...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 06:50 AM »
There are no linux developers, so they don't have to worry about earning a living. Don't you know that all linux software is free and comes from magical software fairies? Don't pay any attention to the PayPal button on the website. It's just there to hold the website together. It's magical. If you remove it, the whole site falls apart.</sarcasm>

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Well.. even on a forum like this where I wouldn't know how to make it easier to reward a developer, can you honestly live off the donations from people? I hope people could, but I can't imagine 1 person per hour donating..

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I don't usually pay for software because there are too many frere/open-source programs that do exactly (and sometimes more) then the commercial alternatives. This comes to mind, mostly with graphic programs and VB.NET components for GUIs (I develop free software).

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 08:31 AM »
There are 3 different kinds of software-developers.

No.1 creates software for their own needs or to gather experience with programming special things. Often they make programs to show possible clients what they are able to do - especially if they don´t have a higher education. Sometimes a few of them only code for fun - this changes after leaving school/university. You cannot live from fun alone. The amount of "newbies" & funcoders is high enough to seem like software is made on-the-fly for free. The most of them are showing to the Linux-World and community and say: "Hey, it´s all secure and for free!" but if you take a look at the creators of this idea - you´ll nowadays find them sitting in firms doing a normal job, earning money for their families and have no time for creating more "free" software.

No.2 creates software they think others could possibly use for their needs/hobbies and they develop for a market that hopefully exists and has enough money and honesty to pay for what they use. They don´t know how many will use their program and how much they will earn. After development they offer their product in many different ways (distributor, shareware, donationware or anything else) and pray that they´ve done all right and will have success.

No.3 creates software only if the need for it exists from a client that wants to have it to be better than their rivals and someone signs a contract with all it should be able to do for their personal needs, including the time and money for development and further support in creating new features or make the software work with others´ changing software and processes. They cannot rely on perhaps not regularly earning money for their invested time and money.

Sooner or later you´ll have to jump from 1 to 2 or 3 if you don´t have another profitable job and perhaps a very understandingly partner that helps you living your hobby.

People that only use free software stop honest developers from doing their job and the rich world of a bright palette of software is shrinking more and more and in some special cases the development stops. Do you think the hardware and software would have the actual state and speed if all would have used "free" software?

As a teenager I never bought an original game (only 2 or 3 I think), no tools and all had been copied illegal - only hardware had to be bought honestly. That changed after I left school and started a career within the software industry. I understood how life works and from this moment, I stopped all illegal actions and today have 99,9% originals I payed and registered as a normal customer.

I had a lot of contacts to game-developers, crackers and swappers all over the world and now - 20 years later - I see that nearly all changed to legality - some of them joined the software industry they fighted against with cracking their copy-protections - others couldn´t and stopped most computer activities. Only very few continued their former illegal hobby. Why? Because they understood what they´ve done and they wanted to adjust former faults somehow or only want to use their gained knowledge to make things better and live from their technical skills.

Pupils or student´s often don´t think too much about the money until they need it regularly. Therefore the most of them are working in No.1.
The computer world is working as any other markets - only with the problem that you can use it without asking using cracks or other tricks. Could you eat something looking in the eyes of the person that produced it being kicked out of his house with his whole family, because all (including you) have stolen their food that growed only from hard investments of work and money from the fields? Wouldn´t you be disappointed if you´d lose your job because someone has stolen your products? Wouldn´t you be angry if the money you earned very hard during years or decades will be stolen from your account?

Even if you use free software it´s like buying all products from the cheapest producer. How would the world look like if all people would only use products that costs nothing or are the cheapest they could get? If all would be bought from the chinese market where some people work for 10 ct per hour you´ll all lose your jobs and comfort. I think free software is ok in a healthy amount but not only insisting on it only for personal convictions against the behaviour of some big companies. It should be used as a concurrent against commercial products pushing them alive to develop further features, as insurancy against monopolistic intentions or as a start into the computer-world without having enough money to afford commercial products.

If you wouln´t make money floating around and no investments would be done the majority of mankind would be in a very poor state today. Don´t look only at yourself - take a wider look at the community of your town, country, continent or the world - only then you will understand all consequences of each little decision and act you make.

I see some frontiers what is good for you and others and what isn´t. The frontiers are only very fluently und unsharp to see.

If you don´t pay for good software that deserves it and you often use - you slowly kill development of great software and sometimes whole families! Think about it until other kill yours!

Something have to change in your head so that you can clearly see what´s happening around you and how the world is working. Perhaps then you start paying for software you are using and don´t insist only in using free software.

Besides: Open Source software is not in every case good as this week showed QEmu that has been infected with a keylogger. I don´t want to know how many "free" and "open" things are infected with spyware, controlling software and keylogs that have never been recognized and used in a very intensive way in high security domains that have very explosive datas about you, companies or military.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:35 AM by Crush »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 10:01 AM »
I don't usually pay for software because there are too many frere/open-source programs that do exactly (and sometimes more) then the commercial alternatives. This comes to mind, mostly with graphic programs and VB.NET components for GUIs (I develop free software).

dhuser

Crush's points aside (which I read with interest and can see where he's coming from), dhuser's argument about using freeeware/open source is valid.

Regarding my earlier post and the quote that I made in it, I can even respect, even if I don't agree with, an argument about ripping off Microsoft or Adobe because their stuff is too expensive. However, stating that you rip a company off because their products suck is ridiculous! How many car thieves target rusted and clapped out non-exotic cars?

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 12:57 PM »
I don't pay for software because I can't afford it, and I would have to get a job, but to get a job I would have to get a car, but to get a car I would have to get a job...so I can't get a job.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I guess the hole situation is a matter of being aware and care - or not - of the consequenses of your actions. And as more and more people becomes psychopaths, I imagine the problem will just grow and grow. As for the young people; I think they don't think... Remembering my own youth, I really think I too acted like a psycho. Being aware AND care about the consequesense of your actions may be how to spot if you a mature person. I know this to be the Christian attitude: If you wanna call yourself a mature Christian, then you do care!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Speaking of..  :-[   
- just realized I never donated Irfan, so I rushed to his site and clicked the donate €10 button

:D

irfan.png ;)

Sugar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 09:55 PM »
I "buy" donationware as well as Windows, the graphics programs of my choice, etc.  I also use freebies. Sort of an "I gotta be me" kinda thing.
Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.....

Sugar

dataphool

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 10:22 PM »
I bought Microsoft when I bought my computer.  It was provided with Compaq.  However, today, my disposable income is less than $5 / month.  Once I pay for my rent, I don't even see the pension cheque.

Everybody cry for me.  I eat well.

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Depends on if I have any money to spare, and if I really love the software provided.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 01:59 PM »

dhuser

Crush's points aside (which I read with interest and can see where he's coming from), dhuser's argument about using freeeware/open source is valid.

Regarding my earlier post and the quote that I made in it, I can even respect, even if I don't agree with, an argument about ripping off Microsoft or Adobe because their stuff is too expensive. However, stating that you rip a company off because their products suck is ridiculous! How many car thieves target rusted and clapped out non-exotic cars?
This is where I differ: Just because a company's products are too expensive, I don't feel I have any right whatsoever to steal the product.  If I did feel that way about, say, Chevrolet, I wouldn't think to steal a Chevy to "get back" at them!

I either pay up and grumble like everyone else, or I make do with alternative applications. But I won't steal them.

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 03:15 PM »
I think many people miss the fact that there are those out there who live off the money from software, and the functionality of the software does enrich the computing experience, making the time spent developing it worth money.

Personally, to me it's all about the pricing of software in relation to the value, especially when the software is from an individual or small firm.  An example is the special this month.  There were specials on different software: ED for windows, SynchronizeIT and ZuluPadPro were the  ones I was interested in.  After comparing ED to windows to my other alternative, even at the discounted price, I paid more for the editor I wanted.  Because in the end, the time it saved me was worth the increas in price.  SynchronizeIT I gladly used the discount for.  I thought at the regular price it was overpriced for how much use I would get out of it, but at the discounted price, I could afford to pay for the minimal use I'd get out of it.  ZuluPadPro I paid full price for.  Why?  Because the original price wasn't *that* much, and for the functionality, it was worth it.

I guess in the end it comes down to three questions.
  • What is your software worth to you? 
  • How much time does it save? 
  • If it wasn't available because the developer couldn't afford to make it, how much would that hurt your productivity?

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 04:28 PM »
As every good Pastafarian know, pirates are "absolute divine beings" and the original Pastafarians.
It's also very well known the direct connection between the global temperature increase on the planet, and the shrinking numbers of pirates since the 1800s.

Wikipedia explain it well: Flying Spaghetti Monster - Pirates and global warming

RAmen.

:D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 04:32 PM »

This is where I differ: Just because a company's products are too expensive, I don't feel I have any right whatsoever to steal the product.  If I did feel that way about, say, Chevrolet, I wouldn't think to steal a Chevy to "get back" at them!

I either pay up and grumble like everyone else, or I make do with alternative applications. But I won't steal them.

Jim

I've highlighted a key word or two in my original quote: you and I, as far as I can tell, aren't as far apart as you apparently think! I guess my choice of the word "respect" was unfortunate... Equally unfortunate is that I can't think of a better one right now. I was trying to say that if one is going to make a case for stealing, surely they could come with something better than "the product sucks, so it's ok to steal it". At least saying the you steal because you find the price more than you can bear is... stumped again, but how about: understandable?

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Utility gained not in proportion to price charged.

For instance, just purchased via download, a copy of CopyToDVD to use with new DVD burner but only because the software was discounted 50%.

Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Padlock6

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 10:23 PM »
I guess in the end it comes down to three questions.
  • What is your software worth to you? 
  • How much time does it save? 
  • If it wasn't available because the developer couldn't afford to make it, how much would that hurt your productivity?

I like to think if microsoft charged $100 for Vista, more people would think it was worth it and not try to steal.  I don't pirate, but I also don't like making the richest man in the world - richer!    :mad:

Yeah, trees don't grow on money either.

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 12:11 AM »
I do pay for the software I use. If a package is too expensive then I just don't use it. Often, there is another program with essentially the same functionality that costs far less and I'll use it instead.

On the other hand, I have bought or donated to programs that I neither need nor use but I support them anyway because I think the idea or motive behind them is worthy of support. For example, I don't need another programming language but I bought Phrogram (formerly Kids Programming Language) anyway. Why? Because it is such a great and well executed idea to get kids interested in programming that I wanted to support it!

And when I find an item on donationcoder.com that I find particularly useful I intend to donate to it too! :)