topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 345370 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online/CompuTech (my) programs
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2007, 01:33 AM »
Brandon,
which version would you recommend for someone who barely knows what an exe file is ?!
(I will be able to help out - on the phone though)

I guess I'm wondering whether to go for the Beta or not?
It's for my sister who knowing her probably wont get to download it for a while,
by which time you probably have another 20 updates out :P (or maybe not - I read you got to study a bit as well..)
So,
in general would you recommend the stable version or.. ?
thanks, tom
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2007, 12:34 AM »
Hi tomos,

Currently I am just working on recoding EVERYTHING, then pushing it into one EXE. That will take about another 2 weeks time to make fully stable.

After that I am going to change a few code things (I won't get into it because it's kinda confusing) to make it easier on me later to work on it, then I will release a beta.

The original beta will be somewhat stable, but expect untested code and whatnot, so errors are bound to happen. If you want to try it, I expect it to be out in about 3 weeks or so. I will probably release weekly updates until I can't find any more bugs, then I will go to work converting the (in theory) bug-free code into a portable version.

So basically...
It isn't ready yet, wait about 3 weeks (mid November) for a beta.
The stable version will be out in January for Windows.
I *could* send you like weekly test versions but the errors would just confuse your sister, and then we having a rolling snowball of bad events..."this doesn't work" "this says this" "what do I do here" "why does this say this" (I have been there ;D)

My recommendation:
Wait for the first beta. I am going to check the code as I go along for any errors, so it should be pretty safe. Just a couple more weeks. (Make sure she updates as soon as new versions come out though, to avoid problems! :up:)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2007, 07:43 AM »
thanks Brandon  :up:
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2007, 03:04 PM »
A semi-large info bit here, I am going to try and condense this as much as I can...

Right now, I am making EasyChatClear, EasyClock, EasyControl, EasyOpen and the Updater into 4 centralized programs. These are called AppLaunch, AutoType, SystemCare and TaskbarTime. What makes this a big deal is that, instead of a Main Menu, then a program, then options, then more options...it becomes one window. It looks something like the newly released Norton 360 (I am not a Norton fan), with separate sections during different things. This makes it easier to navigate, and presents all the options to the user in one simple interface.

On top of that, AppLaunch is getting a huge boost. Right now I am listing off all the popular web browsers, email clients and media players, and telling AppLaunch to scan for them. So on every start, AppLaunch will check default locations for programs like Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, iTunes, foobar2000, Windows Mail (Vista), Outlook Express (XP), and Thunderbird. So no long list of programs to go through. Just the ones you use. :) As a bonus, it *may* be able to control your media player as well. I am implementing that now, and I will have to test it.

Also, while it was a TIGHT squeeze, the program still fits on 1024x768 (I mean, you might be missing 5 pixels on each side, but it fits).

I am trying to make everything automatically checked, so you don't have to answer questions all the time. The program just looks for it.

Feedback?

-Brandon

EDIT: SnapSuite will only run on Windows 2000 and up. If your computer doesn't meet this requirement then you will be notified and the uninstall procedure will begin.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:09 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Hi Brandon,

sounds like a great idea. Would you be so kind and maybe post a screenshot of that 1024x768 plus minus 5 pixels user interface. I am dying of curiosity!

Greetings
Wolf

Schön wär's, wenn's schön wär!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Here is a screenshot of Build 28, Alpha 1. As you can see in the AutoType column, this is why it is a test build ;D

~5 pixels are cut from the right side, but nothing comes after TaskbarTime, so it isn't a big deal.

Enjoy!
-Brandon

EDIT: New screenshot available below. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:47 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2007, 11:25 PM »
I got this question in the IRC channel, and since I use the special IRC channel and whatnot I cannot personal message people (that, and I am a total idiot when it comes to IRC commands).

The AppLaunch list will NOT be user-editable. That won't change. BUT it will expand a lot greater then it is above, so it wont be this broken down list of 4 programs and a media controller.

I am not letting people edit the AppLaunch code because of several reasons...

1) Not that this has anything to do with people here at DC, but I know a few (local)...*ehem* "individuals" that would love to take my code and do anything and everything to make it "theirs".
2) The code for everything (EVERYTHING) is on one file. That will be about...2000+ lines (at least). Way too much to go through.
3) Someone will end up editing the code, and break it. Then I have to explain what they did and its a whole deal.

Someone will do something somewhere and something will happen and its just easier to not do it then to do it. I know that this is a pain to some of you but if you think about it it just makes sense. I am sorry about that, but if it's not user-editable then I spend more time coding and less time helping- meaning a better program for everyone! :)

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2007, 03:30 PM »
Thank you for posting the screen shot. It looks very nice. Keep up the good work! :Thmbsup:
Schön wär's, wenn's schön wär!

kwah

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2007, 06:50 PM »
hey, this is going to sound really sad but ive read this topic since about page 6 (i really didnt have anything better to do, plus this program is starting to look pretty good  :up: ) and couldnt help noticing that you stated somewhere that this program disables the UAC in Vista.

well.. to put it mildly, I do not want the UAC disabled ..

:)

in my opinion, it is better to have the program run with increased priviliges (that way, i know exactly which programs are running with these extended rights) than to diasble the UAC completely ... a security risk for those who are unaware about the problems of having the UAC disabled..?

anyways, my questions is - unless i missed something somewhere, which is a very real possibilty - whether once the UAC is disabled during the installation process, is it enabled again at any point afterwards?
And, if not, will the program work correctly (if run as administrator) if the UAC is enabled again? I'm not sure if you are aware of this feature within Vista, but it is possible to force a program to run as an administrator by ticking the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox in the "Compatibility" tab of the program's Properties [Right-Click \ Properties].

This post probably makes very little sense right now, and since this is only my first post here, I suspect it won't be given a lot of thought (its like discrimination - we all know it i wrong, we all say that we dont do it, but it just happens regardless)... but yeah, ill probably be popping back in for a while later :)

:)

oh btw! i just remembered that i also read about the installation program automatically deleting itself? is there any particular reason for this? i mean, personally i like to keep the install files handy for a while in case there is a problem with the installation procedure or if a problem occurs later in the day and i dont really fancy going through the download procedure again ... especially with large programs lol

and a few thoughts about potential bugs, what happens to these files if they are on read-only media, or the file's attributes are set to read-only? how does it affect it? any errors thrown up?

apologies since that could probably be answered by myself, but ill the downloading until a few of these questions have been answered :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Hey, great timing! Was just about to post anyways :Thmbsup:

User Account Control:
UAC is not a choice on my end, unfortunately. Assuming you are going to use EasyControl, you do not HAVE to disable UAC, but to work around it, you do need to do the following...

Tell EasyControl (aka SnapSuite in about a month) that you are on Windows XP/2k etc when it asks

Do not run unattended OR EasyProtect Enabled maintenance. You need to be there and able (EasyProtect blocks input) to tell UAC its alright to continue (and FAST, EasyControl does not "wait" for the computer- it is mostly timer based)

I am sorry, but the IObit Advanced WindowsCare program bugs UAC and therefore it is just easier to disable it - most people hate it anyways. I don't have control over the 3rd party programs EasyControl uses to do maintenance, so I can't alter the code so it doesn't trip UAC. (This was tested with an older version of IObit Advanced WindowsCare, there is a new version out. This may or may not fix the UAC bug.)

-----

Auto-deletion:
As for the auto-deletion of the setup file, this is done by design (and if you ask anyone here, I release a LOT of updates :P, so keeping the installer is just a waste IMO). 99% of the people I help out STILL have the darn installer sitting on their desktop from when they installed it 2 months ago. In order to keep the file, just copy it to a safe place (away from the desktop) or rename it before running EasySuite for the first time.

-----

Read-only media:
As for read-only media (CD's, etc) you cannot CURRENTLY run EasySuite off this. It has to be able to write. HOWEVER, SnapSuite will have a version designed for this, and it won't have to write anything (so read-only media is fine). SnapSuite won't be out for another month or so (in a stable state, that is).

-----

Known bugs:
There is the one bug where EasyControl might tell you some error about afrc.exe not being on the desktop. I am not sure why this is, it happens randomly it seems. That is the only known bug.

-----

No problem, the only bad question is the one not asked! :)
-Brandon

EDIT: BTW welcome to the forum! :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:16 PM by wreckedcarzz »

kwah

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Hey, great timing! Was just about to post anyways :Thmbsup:

wahey .. i suppose that explains the very fast reply :)

Read-only media:
As for read-only media (CD's, etc) you cannot CURRENTLY run EasySuite off this. It has to be able to write. HOWEVER, SnapSuite will have a version designed for this, and it won't have to write anything (so read-only media is fine). SnapSuite won't be out for another month or so (in a stable state, that is).

There is the one bug where EasyControl might tell you some error about afrc.exe not being on the desktop. I am not sure why this is, it happens randomly it seems. That is the only known bug.

thanks, but this wasnt what i was asking about ..
i was wondering if you had the setup file saved onto read-only media (or the setup file properties were altered to be read-only), whether this would trip the auto-delete feature into an error.

judging by the last line of that quote, however, if it isnt able to delete the file, it appears some form of error message would appear?

No problem, the only bad question is the one not asked! :)
be careful or you might tempt me to start giving smart-alec responses such as the fact i now want to ask a bad question .. but if i ask it, then it will no longer be a bad question ;)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10 PM »

thanks, but this wasnt what i was asking about ..
i was wondering if you had the setup file saved onto read-only media (or the setup file properties were altered to be read-only), whether this would trip the auto-delete feature into an error.

judging by the last line of that quote, however, if it isnt able to delete the file, it appears some form of error message would appear?

Oh, didn't understand the first time around. No, it will not trigger an error :up: It checks for the setup file on the user's desktop at every run. If it finds it, it deletes it. If it doesn't, it skips the deletion and continues on. You can put the setup file anywhere you want, and no errors will occur. :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Updated picture!
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2007, 01:51 AM »
New screenshot! I have FINALLY gotten EasyControl's GUI converted (oh god what a mess that is...now for the actual CODE! :o)

But, AppLaunch is in a "Stable" state, as is AutoType. SystemCare is ready for the actual code to be placed in, and then TaskbarTime is the last one. The updater, however, is still being planned. :-\ :read:

Making progress, slowly, but making progress!
-Brandon

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2007, 04:45 AM »
looking good - keep it up Brandon  :up:

what are these parent approaching etc buttons (& POS!!![???])  :tellme: :D
just curious :-\
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2007, 11:46 AM »
User Account Control:
UAC is not a choice on my end, ....

Uploaded today at Freeware World:

* Tweak UAC *
TweakUAC(TM) is a free software tool that you can use to quickly turn UAC
(User Account Control of Windows Vista) on or off, or to make UAC operate
in the quiet mode.
Download from:
http://www.all4you.d.../TweakUAC-42655.html

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2007, 05:49 PM »
looking good - keep it up Brandon  :up:

what are these parent approaching etc buttons (& POS!!![???])  :tellme: :D
just curious :-\

Figured someone would ask sooner or later; surprised at how long it took for someone to ask!

(Anyways...)

The right column of the AutoType area is made mainly for teenagers/kids (like myself) that have parents that feel the need to constantly watch (and annoy ;)) us while we IM/chat/etc on the computer. The right side is a s set of buttons that, once clicked, hides the SnapSuite GUI (therefore activating the below window, usually the IM window), sends a set of messages based on the button clicked (like Emergency mode is a lot more "important" then just a Cleaning).

This feature is in the current EasyChatClear (hence the Clear), just open it up via the Start Menu (go into EasySuite, then pick EasyChatClear) or for keyboard fanatics, it is usually "C:\Program Files\CompuTech EasySuite\EasyChatClear\CompuTech EasyChatClear.exe". Click the EasyClear button at the top, and there is all is. The new version hides the window for you, but EasyChatClear requires you to click in another window within 2.5 seconds (so have notepad or something ready when you try it!). It enters the appropriate text, sends it, then minimizes the window. Very handy (and it can also be used at work when your a bit "off-task" talking in the office chat server about how the boss needs to give everyone a raise, and he/she happens to walk by... :P).

EDIT: POS means two things, one I won't list here, but in this case it means "Parent Over Shoulder"

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2007, 05:55 PM »
EDIT: POS means two things, one I won't list here...

;D I presumed it wasn't that
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2007, 06:08 PM »
EDIT: POS means two things, one I won't list here...

;D I presumed it wasn't that

lol :P I have had to explain BOTH "definitions" to people, so its a bit awkward every time ;D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It worked... :O
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2007, 07:14 AM »
OK, I am going to be honest. I didn't think it would work. I really didn't. I thought SystemCare would stop everything- I spent the last 3 days just thinking about how much of a train wreck it was going to be.

So I kinda was feeling down last night and went to bed around 7. Woke up at 2AM, yada-yada. It is now 5:08, and I am VERY happy (:)) to say...

I integrated everything without a hitch!

I don't know how, but I did it. It really...works. ;D

I would post a screenshot, but I did nothing with the GUI so thats mostly pointless (well I did make it a few pixels smaller, but thats not really interesting). Now all I have to do is add TaskbarTime, a functional (:P) (auto)updater, and the traymenu. :D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Off topic gaming fun
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2007, 09:16 PM »
This whole post is semi-off topic, but it is kinda cool. Figured I would post, might as well. :-\

(It took me 30 MINUTES searching Google for an "[offtopic]"-type forum command until I gave up, came back to the post page, and noticed the "spoiler" option. Man...)

Spoiler
My email is inaccessible due to a friend hogging my hard drive over the weekend, so I decided to have some fun and finally build my little virtual office in the online world of There. I have been trying to make a decent one for the last 6 months, and I was able to get something that matched the environment without drawing a whole lot of attention.

If you want a screenshot...
http://img138.images...edcarzz200711qb6.jpg

Left fort/tent holds my virtual computers, garage behind me stores a car, and the house off to the right is my little "chat room". Basic, cheap, and effective. And fun. :P

I doubt it, but if anyone plays There I will be online for the next hour or so, send off an IM! :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2007, 01:45 PM »
OK, cool. I just decided how to improve upon the install/update system, and make the installer totally automated (except telling it where to install to). :D!

Here is how it will work...

I am going to use GetRightToGo (same downloader as Maze Craze) to download all of the program files individually. This allows instant installation, and MUCH faster updates (just update the main exe, instead of all the files).

When you run the downloader (or save to the location of your choice), just tell it the drive letter you want to install SnapSuite to (default is C:\Program Files\CompuTech SnapSuite). You can ONLY change the drive letter! I cannot stress this enough. If you change anything else, it will not work (it was the same before, so its not a change, but just an FYI).

It then downloads the files, one by one, and puts them in the folder (therefore, installing SnapSuite). When it is done it will run SnapSuite, and that will make a shortcut on your desktop for you. To uninstall, just delete the SnapSuite folder and shortcut.

And I thought I would have to make a separate, messy program to do this! Bah! :)

Feedback?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alpha 1 Build 82 Ready!
« Reply #221 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36 PM »
OK, I got some yard work to do, and I gotta go and play some games and what not, but here is the latest version, first public release of SnapSuite. The Updater works (:O) and everything is there except TaskbarTime and the help file. Oh, and it won't make a desktop shortcut for you (yet) so just head over to
<Your_Drive_Letter_Here>:\Program Files\CompuTech SnapSuite\ and right click SnapSuite.exe > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)
to make one.

Please let me know of bugs, misspellings/grammar issues, things that can be improved, anything at all. If one of the groupboxes (little rounded rectangles) is off (even by 1 pixel)...ANYTHING!

Other then no help file and TaskbarTime not there, enjoy! (Expect bi-daily updates for features/bug fixes)

-Brandon

\/ Download Below \/

FYI: To update SnapSuite to a newer version, go below the SystemCare column (3rd one over) to where it says "Updates/Help/Donate" and hit Update SnapSuite. :Thmbsup:

EDIT: Download on page 10, first post. Sorry about that :-[
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:29 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2007, 03:37 PM »
I only have a minor issue: I find it wrong to occupy several folders in Program Files. It is annoying to my eyes. The main folder [Edit: "for all of your programs"] should be CompuTech, and the sub (install) folder SnapSuite.

Otherwise I think you are just growing and growing!  :Thmbsup:

Edit2: Well, at the age of 15 you are supposed to do just that!  :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:42 PM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Several folders? The only one needed is "CompuTech SnapSuite". SnapSuite and EasySuite are independent of one another (as SnapSuite is taking over EasySuite). Everything should be contained in that folder (except CCleaner, CleanUp! etc).

Growing is good ;D

EDIT: Expanding on what I said above, basically you can safely remove the EasySuite folder without doing any harm (although running the uninstaller first might help :P "C:\Program Files\CompuTech EasySuite\unins000.exe")
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:21 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2007, 05:46 PM »
OK, small little update to fix the no-shortcut problem.

If you have SnapSuite...
open it via your custom-made shortcut, or enter "C:\Program Files\CompuTech SnapSuite\SnapSuite.exe" (where C:\ is your default drive letter) into the Run box on the Start Menu. Then, go below the SystemCare column and click Update SnapSuite.

If you are a new user...
Just use the downloader above. The patch will auto download with the rest of the files.