ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help

<< < (42/112) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Here is a screenshot of Build 28, Alpha 1. As you can see in the AutoType column, this is why it is a test build ;D

~5 pixels are cut from the right side, but nothing comes after TaskbarTime, so it isn't a big deal.

Enjoy!
-Brandon

EDIT: New screenshot available below. :)

wreckedcarzz:
I got this question in the IRC channel, and since I use the special IRC channel and whatnot I cannot personal message people (that, and I am a total idiot when it comes to IRC commands).

The AppLaunch list will NOT be user-editable. That won't change. BUT it will expand a lot greater then it is above, so it wont be this broken down list of 4 programs and a media controller.

I am not letting people edit the AppLaunch code because of several reasons...

1) Not that this has anything to do with people here at DC, but I know a few (local)...*ehem* "individuals" that would love to take my code and do anything and everything to make it "theirs".
2) The code for everything (EVERYTHING) is on one file. That will be about...2000+ lines (at least). Way too much to go through.
3) Someone will end up editing the code, and break it. Then I have to explain what they did and its a whole deal.

Someone will do something somewhere and something will happen and its just easier to not do it then to do it. I know that this is a pain to some of you but if you think about it it just makes sense. I am sorry about that, but if it's not user-editable then I spend more time coding and less time helping- meaning a better program for everyone! :)

wolf.b:
Thank you for posting the screen shot. It looks very nice. Keep up the good work! :Thmbsup:

kwah:
hey, this is going to sound really sad but ive read this topic since about page 6 (i really didnt have anything better to do, plus this program is starting to look pretty good  :up: ) and couldnt help noticing that you stated somewhere that this program disables the UAC in Vista.

well.. to put it mildly, I do not want the UAC disabled ..

:)

in my opinion, it is better to have the program run with increased priviliges (that way, i know exactly which programs are running with these extended rights) than to diasble the UAC completely ... a security risk for those who are unaware about the problems of having the UAC disabled..?

anyways, my questions is - unless i missed something somewhere, which is a very real possibilty - whether once the UAC is disabled during the installation process, is it enabled again at any point afterwards?
And, if not, will the program work correctly (if run as administrator) if the UAC is enabled again? I'm not sure if you are aware of this feature within Vista, but it is possible to force a program to run as an administrator by ticking the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox in the "Compatibility" tab of the program's Properties [Right-Click \ Properties].

This post probably makes very little sense right now, and since this is only my first post here, I suspect it won't be given a lot of thought (its like discrimination - we all know it i wrong, we all say that we dont do it, but it just happens regardless)... but yeah, ill probably be popping back in for a while later :)

:)

oh btw! i just remembered that i also read about the installation program automatically deleting itself? is there any particular reason for this? i mean, personally i like to keep the install files handy for a while in case there is a problem with the installation procedure or if a problem occurs later in the day and i dont really fancy going through the download procedure again ... especially with large programs lol

and a few thoughts about potential bugs, what happens to these files if they are on read-only media, or the file's attributes are set to read-only? how does it affect it? any errors thrown up?

apologies since that could probably be answered by myself, but ill the downloading until a few of these questions have been answered :)

wreckedcarzz:
Hey, great timing! Was just about to post anyways :Thmbsup:

User Account Control:
UAC is not a choice on my end, unfortunately. Assuming you are going to use EasyControl, you do not HAVE to disable UAC, but to work around it, you do need to do the following...

Tell EasyControl (aka SnapSuite in about a month) that you are on Windows XP/2k etc when it asks

Do not run unattended OR EasyProtect Enabled maintenance. You need to be there and able (EasyProtect blocks input) to tell UAC its alright to continue (and FAST, EasyControl does not "wait" for the computer- it is mostly timer based)

I am sorry, but the IObit Advanced WindowsCare program bugs UAC and therefore it is just easier to disable it - most people hate it anyways. I don't have control over the 3rd party programs EasyControl uses to do maintenance, so I can't alter the code so it doesn't trip UAC. (This was tested with an older version of IObit Advanced WindowsCare, there is a new version out. This may or may not fix the UAC bug.)

-----

Auto-deletion:
As for the auto-deletion of the setup file, this is done by design (and if you ask anyone here, I release a LOT of updates :P, so keeping the installer is just a waste IMO). 99% of the people I help out STILL have the darn installer sitting on their desktop from when they installed it 2 months ago. In order to keep the file, just copy it to a safe place (away from the desktop) or rename it before running EasySuite for the first time.

-----

Read-only media:
As for read-only media (CD's, etc) you cannot CURRENTLY run EasySuite off this. It has to be able to write. HOWEVER, SnapSuite will have a version designed for this, and it won't have to write anything (so read-only media is fine). SnapSuite won't be out for another month or so (in a stable state, that is).

-----

Known bugs:
There is the one bug where EasyControl might tell you some error about afrc.exe not being on the desktop. I am not sure why this is, it happens randomly it seems. That is the only known bug.

-----

No problem, the only bad question is the one not asked! :)
-Brandon

EDIT: BTW welcome to the forum! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version