topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: opera 9.2 is out  (Read 28959 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
opera 9.2 is out
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:29 AM »
Between the new features, there is something called speeddial that looks like another usability hit.
http://portal.opera.com/startup/

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: opera 9.2 is out
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:35 AM »
I've been using speed dial for a while now, and it's pretty good!
I don't use it that much because i'm more keyboard-centric when using Opera. Also, because old habits die hard, and i'm used to typing the alias for those pages.
But i bet much people will like it.

Also, here's a tip: to remove the yahoo search and use google's, just go to the following address: opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialSearchType (i love these links to opera:config!! :D) and change "Speed Dial Search Type" to '0'.

[rant][edit] had to change the link to non-hiperlink, because the forum software appends 'http://' to the beggining of the url,thus 'opera:' links can's be used  >:( [/edit][/rant]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:37 AM by jgpaiva »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:12 AM »
I like opera, it is by far the fastest browser, but I simply cannot use it until I can have roboform back incorporated into my configuration. I understand opera's need for "security", but at least give the user a choice. Locking us down to what the dev's feel is pertinent to a browser is like ford telling you that you have to settle for a stock engine or stock radio when much better alternatives exist.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:18 AM »
I like opera, it is by far the fastest browser...

"Fastest" is a big word!
Fastest to start up ?  (i find AVANT and Slimbrowser to be the best there so far) ;
Fastest at page rendering ? (don't notice much difference with regards to AVANT, Slimbrowser and Firefox).
Fastest at going backward/forward (equal to AVANT and Slimbrowser IMHO).

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Fastest where it really matters, in browsing speed (page rendering, back/forward). But again, that is subjective. On my system, opera runs faster when it comes to rendering pages, browser response, control response, and its overall lighter as well. But like I said, this is subjective. I am not out to start a war on which browser is better. On every system I've used, opera responds and handles better than other browsers. Please, dont turn this into a "Which browser is better" thread. I merely stated my opinion and am not intending on defending my position as I feel it has been done numerous times in the past on various other forums.

People will use what they prefer, and I know that I would prefer to use opera, however, I cant because roboform is not supported which was the main point of my post. Not to start another browser war.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Opera is the fastest browser according to my usage experience as well as a series of tests conducted by some web site (don't remember which).

Just go to any site in Opera, click on a link and hit 'z' key. Even before you blink your eye, you are back at the previous page. It's amazing!
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:38 AM »
If it won't work with RoboForm yet, they need to start on 9.3.
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:47 AM »
If it won't work with RoboForm yet, they need to start on 9.3.

:Thmbsup:

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Fastest where it really matters, in browsing speed (page rendering, back/forward). But again, that is subjective. On my system, opera runs faster when it comes to rendering pages, browser response, control response, and its overall lighter as well. But like I said, this is subjective. I am not out to start a war on which browser is better. On every system I've used, opera responds and handles better than other browsers. Please, dont turn this into a "Which browser is better" thread. I merely stated my opinion and am not intending on defending my position as I feel it has been done numerous times in the past on various other forums.

Goccha!

People will use what they prefer, and I know that I would prefer to use opera, however, I cant because roboform is not supported which was the main point of my post. Not to start another browser war.

Why not use the Roboform standalone application? This way you can use it for other browsers as well right?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:37 PM »
[rant][edit] had to change the link to non-hiperlink, because the forum software appends 'http://' to the beggining of the url,thus 'opera:' links can's be used  >:( [/edit][/rant]

te.png

:tellme:

[Edit:] - or maybe jgpaiva could? - sorry!  :-[ 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:43 PM by Curt »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 03:13 PM »
write this: opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialSearchType

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 03:14 PM »
... if that's what you meant, Curt :huh:

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 03:18 PM »
dantheman: roboform is a toolbar which incorporates into 99% of browsers minus WebTV, Compuserve, Old netscapes and Opera. Roboform itself is a standalone program for remembering logins but its primary purpose is to fill web forms, something which requires an API or a way to hook into the browser. Roboform is not the only application which cannot tie into opera, no application can. Google's and Yahoo's toolbars cannot tie into opera, various 3rd party applications cannot. Its not a matter of roboform not supporting opera, its a matter of opera not giving other applications a way to support opera.

2stepsback

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • My "2stepsback" blog - Updated!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 03:06 AM »
Opera wheel gestures are awesome:
  • Scroll up and down  -  Roll the wheel back and forth
  • Jump from one window to the next  -  Hold right mouse button and roll wheel
  • Zoom in and out  -  Hold Ctrl key down and roll wheel
  • Move back and forth in page history  -  Hold Shift key down and roll wheel
  • Panning  -  Click wheel then move mouse
[/list]
some screenshots:
The list of gestures
wheel-gestures-list.png

Throw away Ctrl+Tab
save-your-left-hand-fingers-from-rsi-with-right-click-mouse-scroll.png

Zoom
zoom.png

History
back-in-history.png

-2stepsback
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghor...archives/000735.html
------------
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">W3Schools</a> - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:09 AM by 2stepsback »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 06:14 AM »
I think that the best shortcut in Opera is '1' and '2'. And also, flipback and flipforward.
'1' moves to the tab on the left and '2' moves to the tab on the right.
Flipback is pressing mouse's right button and then left mouse button. Flipforward is the reverse.
By default, it's assigned to back/forward, but as my mouse has a back and a forward button,i assign those 2 gestures to the same as '1' and '2' :)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 06:59 AM »
dantheman: roboform is a toolbar which incorporates into 99% of browsers minus WebTV, Compuserve, Old netscapes and Opera. Roboform itself is a standalone program for remembering logins but its primary purpose is to fill web forms, something which requires an API or a way to hook into the browser. Roboform is not the only application which cannot tie into opera, no application can. Google's and Yahoo's toolbars cannot tie into opera, various 3rd party applications cannot. Its not a matter of roboform not supporting opera, its a matter of opera not giving other applications a way to support opera.

Perhaps a kind soul will make a widget?  Is that possible?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 07:32 AM »
Widgets wouldnt be useful for this purpose, its already been discussed and haavard on the opera forums has said widgets arent useful for this situation :-/

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Love RoboForm, but Opera's worth giving it up for. Besides, Wand passwords (CTRL+Enter) can be specifically defined for any page. Something I've done is move the "Enable JavaScript" checkbox to the right of the address bar. With that, I can quickly click on and off when visiting various sites with lots of ads (usually news sites), rendering them still and quiet. I love using numbers 1 & 2 for back and forth navigation among tabs. But two customized keyboard shortcuts I really like are:

Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts > (standard keyboard) > Edit; then redefine
(1) ALT+X — Close page and move left (Close page & cycle to previous page,1)  ..........[I call it "Close tab/Move Left]
(2) CTRL+F4 — Close tab (in keyboard shortcuts: F4 ctrl — Close page & cycle to next page,2)  ..........["Close tab/Move Right] (I also have CTRL+F4 defined in AutoHotkey as WIN+Z)

So between ALT+X and WIN+Z, I can close tabs LEFT or RIGHT as needed.

The browser defaults are almost always overriden by author and user stylesheets. Opera even provides you with a way to tweak the defaults. For example, the default margin on the body element is 8px. Why? To ensure that text in an unstyled page does not "run wall-to-wall". If you do not like this, you may change the defaults using browser.css. It isn't provided in the default installation.

(1) Create a new text file with a .css extension, and save it anywhere (yes, anywhere);
(2) Open Preferences > Advanced > Content > Style Options > My Style Sheet, and point Opera to the location of your browser.css file in the [User Prefs] section, browser.css field.
(3) Save. Done!

Style filename: stylez.css
Entire contents of stylez.css:
* {font-family: frutigernext lt regular !important;}o

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 04:34 AM »
I agree that giving up roboform is a small price.
Some more nice Opera features.
  • if the text renders wider than the screen (having a horizontal scroll bar), you can click "fit to width", and problem solved.
  • Too small site fonts? You can zoom with keyboard (+,-), mousewheel, or enter author mode where the fonts are defined by you in your prefernces (default font: I use calibri 10)
  • Middle click gives you the smoothest scroll, so you can eat, talk to the phone etc, while reading your page
  • Super efficient cache. Going back to previous page is faster than in any other browser. It makes a big difference in your user experience.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 06:19 AM »
YAY!

Opera is my favourite browser. So a new version is more than welcome. Despite Firefox efforts, a couple of light years separate one browser from another.

Talking about RoboForm... does Opera has any problem with KeePass?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24 AM »
While I can see that roboform isnt a necessity for some users here, it is for thousands of users whose voices can be heard by a google search of roboform opera and searching roboform on the opera forums. This, in my opinion, will be why opera doesnt make a bigger dent in the browser market. While it is customizable up the wazoo for its gui and its included features, its not totally customizable and the users are locked out of features that 3rd party applications can provide.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25 AM »
Does KeePass let me select a site (from a list) and do the following automatically (like RoboForm):

1) Opens the URL
2) Pastes login, password and any other field necessary (and which are captured once by it)
3) Hits Submit button.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Nomadin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 06:57 AM »
I like opera, it is by far the fastest browser, but I simply cannot use it until I can have roboform back incorporated into my configuration. I understand opera's need for "security", but at least give the user a choice. Locking us down to what the dev's feel is pertinent to a browser is like ford telling you that you have to settle for a stock engine or stock radio when much better alternatives exist.

I was with you for the longest time on this topic, but now that I have used Opera exclusively for a couple years I find that Wand meets my needs.  The only thing I really miss is the ability to edit (or even see!) my passwords in the Wand.  Otherwise, it has completely replaced Roboform for me.

I love Opera!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05 AM »
The problem with the Wand is that if something nasty happens (you forgot your password or you accidentally delete the passwords file), then it's over as it doesn't have a simple 'export' function to CSV or even TXT

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Exactly, and again, this shows you why allowing third party programs can be a good idea. It allows users to expand functions (absent or not) of the browser or application to suite their needs. By not allowing this, they block out users who would potentially switch.