topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In  (Read 252519 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2008, 01:57 AM »
FARR could use a commandline tool to post to twitter as described here: http://www.downloads...ng-the-command-line/
and here: http://lifehacker.co...mmand-line-in-any-os

But what about a nice little javascript FARR plugin for interfacing with twitter and doing various things like posting?

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2008, 11:47 AM »
How about pasting text off the clipboard, and you get all that formatting (html, rtf, ms-word, whatever).  I've tried a couple of apps for this (Plain Paste, and I forget the others), but nothing I didn't have issues with. 

They have a pretty clean one built into KeyBreeze, something like "remove clipboard formatting".

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22 AM »
I would like Farr to be able to pass arguments to found .exes or other executables. Trying to create aliases for everything can be cumbersome at some point. For example I have locate32.exe I should be able to use FArr to find locate32 and when I press tab I should be able to type the arguments on the fly.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2008, 01:52 AM »
Also It would be great if we have date-time, memory usage etc kind of information on FARR title bar. It seems quite empty up there why not use it?

kreatorr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2008, 10:45 AM »
How about a plugin for the saved sessions in Putty?  Launchy has it...

Kuntau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My English is bad :(
    • View Profile
    • Tech.Kuntau | Info Sharing Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Also It would be great if we have date-time, memory usage etc kind of information on FARR title bar. It seems quite empty up there why not use it?

Why you want to do that. FARR was designed to appear, launch and disappear. I would prefer it to be as light as possible, we already got too many bloated software out there.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2008, 12:39 PM »
well it would be great to have only one app for small tasks like checking time. I have farr on "rigth alt", if I need to check date time I can just press alt and check it. Do not you think it would be more bloated if I need to run another app for instant date time?

Kuntau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My English is bad :(
    • View Profile
    • Tech.Kuntau | Info Sharing Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Windows clock was there for that reason  8)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2008, 03:28 PM »
windows clock does not show the date and memory available

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Anyways what I was saying that there is wasted space in the title bar that can be utilized for numerous things. Time or memory was the first thing that came to my mind. It is nto a big deal for me I have 8 gb with 4 cores. I can run 20 different programs to check my date and time. But it is just not a preferred method of having utilized work environment. If it is going to bloat the Farr then sure it would be stupid to implement.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Well the Windows clock displays the date by simply hovering over it with your mouse, and memory information is beyond unnecessary for you with 8GB :) Anyway, as a plugin it's no problem ofcourse. If someone decides to write one I wouldn't use it, though ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2008, 06:00 PM »
No 8gb is not enough for what I am doing even :) My softwares generally use 1-11 gb. And I never had my task bar visible so to hower it I need to press windows key move my mouse and wait a sec to see the date. The whole point is lost I can just look at my watch for that :)   Anyways it was just an idea. I was not expecting comments at all :)

Fruch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2008, 08:34 AM »
I want to be able to use todo.txt (http://todotxt.com/)
I built a .bat file that use the python script like that

@todo.py %'
@pause

but it's a bit ugly, cause each command open a cmd window.

can someone show a way those printout will show under FARR (like in gc, that types "Welcome to Quick Add for Google Calendar")

this will be very useful tool for FARR.

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2008, 03:40 AM »
Fruch:One option would be to convert pthon into javascript and then I would be able to do something with it :)
Or if you know python well you can try this:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=12232.0 ;)
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

lrosenfeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2008, 11:29 AM »
How about a plug in that can retrieve a password via a key from an encrypted source and then pass that in to the program being launched?

For example, if I have an alias with a regular expression of:

sqlp (.+)@(.+)/(.+)

Which would result in:
($$1 = user) ($$2 = database) ($$3 = password)

sqlplus $$1@$$2/$$3 

where the password could be retrieved from a secure source such that if this was available it would look like:

sqlp (.+)@(.+)

which would then result in:

sqlplus $$1@$$2/lookuppassword($$1,$$2)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lrosenfeld,

the idea bout storing and retrieving encypted passwords might not be worth the effort, only because the existing good password management tools (keypass) are pretty darn good, and most include live search functionality.  when you combine that with the importance of secure handling of this info, it makes me think this plugin idea may be more trouble than it's worth.

however i do think a general purpose note saver/searcher/displayer is an important missing idea to farr plugin collection, and it's always possible that encrypted items could be added to that that could do the kind of thing you want eventually.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've split off the idea for a DQSD plugin into it's own thread here:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13266.0

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
mouser: this brings me new idea. I wanted to use timer also as note keeping software (to implement additional functions etc) but I figured out that you can paste only limited length of text into FARR window. Why is that? Is there any bypass?
The other thing I would like to see in FARR is following. You can call function something like pasteintolastactivewindow. Do you think it is possible to have function copyfromlastactivewindow which would take a look into last active window and if it finds highlighted area it would send it to FARR (JS SDK)? this would be great. Just imagine you would set any dictionary certain key, you would highlight text you want to translate and hit the key and you get it ;) Also it would help implementing some copy paste storing functions. What do you think about it?
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you think it is possible to have function copyfromlastactivewindow which would take a look into last active window and if it finds highlighted area it would send it to FARR (JS SDK)?

See screenshot for configuration of hotkey:
Screenshot - 5_6_2008 , 11_47_04 PM.png

So basically FARR let's you configure certain hotkeys that should copy selected text in current application before triggering FARR.  When you combine that with the ability to configure the search text associated with a hotkey, you have the pieces you need to make dictionary and other searching type hotkey triggers.

It would be nice to ALWAYS trying to copy selected text when triggering FARR but that can cause problems.

The other thing is that FARR records the last active window, so a plugin could always ask FARR for this window handle and try to do other stuff with it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This post here about recentX made me think that a nice plugin for FARR would be one that listed recently opened documents and recently executed programs, sorted by last access date (i.e. most recently used at top).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recent discussions about applications/addons allowing one to search specific programs' commands (like...MS Word...) made me wonder if farr could achieve such a thing... I don't see why not. It would be interesting and potentially super useful and powerful especially that farr is already such a good launcher with great flexibility.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:49 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This post here about recentX made me think that a nice plugin for FARR would be one that listed recently opened documents and recently executed programs, sorted by last access date (i.e. most recently used at top).

I like that.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's not a plugin, but an idea that involves plugins-

Why not have FARR be able to launch and/or include a "Plugin Directory" or something? Where you can pick what you want and mass download/install like DcUpdater. Ex:
  • MyAwesomePlugIn V1.0
  • MousersInsanePlugIn V4.2
  • CoolFarrPlugIn V2.3

with checkboxes next to them all (in place of the dots)? :tellme:

It could even be web-based and invoke FARR via a special URL (like FARR:\\ or something)... right? :huh:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The DcUpdater used by FARR actually does this mostly.. It has the ability to read a files of available updates and install them on demand.  You can actually see this with FARR, some plugins are available to install on the AvailableForInstall tab.

However, these available plugins are known to the updater because they were listed explicitly in the original FARR installation.   It's a much nicer idea to add a facility in DcUpdater so that an application can specify a web page where all plugins are listed.  That would make it so that if a new plugin was released, it would show up in the list of plugins that can be installed.  I will put that on my todo list for DcUpdater.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:00 AM by mouser »

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had a thread that talked about finding an application that would search a file for a specific word and return the entire line just like FARR does with files, but as I kept looking more and more into FARR it dawned on me that someone with actual coding skills could make a FARR plugin that does the same thing in about 30 seconds :p

I thought this would be a more appropriate place to put the request.

In short, I'm a 911 dispatcher and require access to lots of various info very quickly. I'd love to dump all that random stuff into a file. I'd put each contact, location, protocol or whatever I want at my fingertips on a new line in the file, then it would pop up as I would type along with the matching files like a normal FARR search.

Whee! Whoever makes this plugin will be making my city a safer place!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:38 AM by sabot7726 »