topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List of disc catalogers  (Read 214146 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of disc catalogers
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2007, 12:36 PM »
This is a real bargain for only  9000$/8000€  commercial licence (ok for 5 installations).
The cheaper version for non-profit-usage costs only the half of it 

Truly a bargain at twice the price! I bet the non-profit organisations are fighting with each other to get in the queue to buy a copy. I mean, who could resist at these prices? It's more expensive than AFO or WhereIsIt?, etc. so it must be better, right?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 01:04 AM »
Darwin, this is the feature that i'm looking for & i couldn't find it in both - ADO & WhereIsIt?.. when adding a CD containing Internet Explorer's favorites to the catalog, it would be nice if the urls are also extracted & saved with the catalog. i don't know if this is already available but i couldn't find it anywhere in the options.. :)

ws-WhereIsIt-02c.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 01:51 AM »
Hmm. That's an interesting point - a feature I had not considered but now that you've brought it to my attention, compelling! As it happens I have my favourites backed up onto a thumbdrive that has been indexed by both WhereIsIt? and AFO. I can confirm that neither of them stored the actual url in the index. I'll play around with the settings in both and see if I can modify this... As you've likely already done this, I'm not hopeful! I'll get back to you, likely tomorrow.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 02:16 AM »
Hey! I found the most expensive File/Disc-Cataloger on the world today (not yet included in the list).

It´s Catalyzer http://www.axiope.co...p/importheaders.html
This is a real bargain for only 9000$/8000€ commercial licence (ok for 5 installations).
The cheaper version for non-profit-usage costs only the half of it  :D
How could you call such a pricing? Harakiri-Marketing?

hey, they wont need to sell many though  :D
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Hi again Lanux - I can't find anyting in either app that will enable the saving of url's in indexes... I'd e-mail the author of WhereIsIt? but he's not available. Let's see what the dev of AFO has to say though...

Quick Update: I e-mailed both devs. Can't tell from the response I received from WhereIsIt?'s dev whether he'll respond after the 27th or not (ie the autoresponse merely states that it's an autoresponse but doesn't say whether or not I should expect a real response in the future!). We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:59 AM by Darwin »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2007, 09:07 PM »
i too received the auto-response and i haven't gotten around to email AFO's authors. thanks for helping me on that.. :) btw, the screenshot is a mock-up using WhereIsIt?

ngoddard

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2007, 04:07 AM »
Axiope's Catalyzer: It's not $9000  - it's FREE!

For the purposes discussed in this thread, which I understand to be creating a personal searchable catalog of what is on discs, all you need is Catalyzer Desktop, which is completely FREE (http://www.axiope.co...upport_download.html).  No license required for full operation.  The only caveat is you have to use File|Import to open your catalog and File|Export to save it to your local disk (File|Open and File|Save expect you to be running Catalyzer Server which is for group cataloging and which is not free).

Catalyzer is a lot more than a disc cataloger - hence its price for the full system.  But for simple disc cataloging, I think you should be able to use the free Catalyzer Desktop.  The price is right  :)  - but we would be interested in comments on functionality, useability, etc.

Nigel Goddard
Axiope Limited

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2007, 05:09 AM »
Thanks for answering to this discussion! I didn´t knew wether I should post this link or not. Sorry, I didn´t read anywhere that Axiope-Desktop is licence-free so I thought you have to licence the non-profit version of it - the next time I´ll take a closer look. Nevertheless, I took a copy of it yesterday and will test it during the next weeks.

The first thing I saw was the shocking high price. I admit that on the first look at the functionality of creating catalogs, data sets and viewing masks, it´s the most flexible program I´ve seen till now. I didn´t mention at what customers you´re aiming: chemists, biologists, geneticists and other scientists that have enough money for something like Axiope.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2007, 07:21 AM »
See post Number 2
in this thread for a list of 213 (or is it 214  :) ) created by Crush
and facilitated by Crono's convert from spreadsheet to Forum Table batch file

This is a test run
I actually think it should go in Post #1
Cause Post#1 is now a shown up as a fairly arbitrary collection/short list

I believe there is still the option to post the long list in it's own page instead of here
or simply to post it in it's own thread

Please post any opinions !!

tidied the "Long" list up, and made a bunch of corrections -
it should be much more readable now

just in case:
to view off screen parts:
click in the table & use right & left arrow button to see off-screen parts

tom
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Welcome ngoddard, and thank you for clarifying your company's policy WRT Axiope Catalyser's licencing. I'll have to take a look now!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Welcome ngoddard, and thank you for clarifying your company's policy WRT Axiope Catalyser's licencing. I'll have to take a look now!

here here!
I'm so bogged down with spreadsheets I'm forgetting my manners  :)
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2007, 03:45 PM »
now that Catalyzer is down to much more bearable price, maybe there will be some feedback on its features and usability.. :) and to ngoddard, thanks for dropping by and explaining things.. :up:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2007, 02:57 PM »
I'm looking for a disc cataloger that works on both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu).

I found some leads on Ubuntu catalogers in this thread: http://ubuntuforums....806&postcount=12 . One promising cross-OS cataloger mentioned there is VVV, Virtual Volumes View, http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/ , currently at version 0.7.
vvv-physical-windows[1].gifList of disc catalogersvvv-virtual-linux[1].gifList of disc catalogers
Drawbacks: the features are still very basic. No reports, no specific file icons, no copying of file names and several other no's. But I like it so far as it currently goes. It's slim and fast and is actively developed (in comparison, some other catalogers for Ubuntu that haven't been updated for years). Does anyone know of a good cross-OS cataloger with more features than VVV?

Tomos, here are details for VVV for the big list on the first page of this thread:
Cataloger    Homepage    Free-/Shareware/Price       Last Version / Change
VVV (Virtual Volumes View)   http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/   FOSS   v0.7 2007-09-24

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2007, 03:12 PM »
Tomos, here are details for VVV for the big list on the first page of this thread:
Cataloger    Homepage    Free-/Shareware/Price       Last Version / Change
VVV (Virtual Volumes View)   http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/   FOSS   v0.7 2007-09-24

maybe you'ld double check it !
https://www.donation...64.msg54818#msg54818
Tom

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Tomos, VVV has been updated. You can paste this into the list:
Virtual Volumes View v0.8 http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/ for Windows & Linux (Ubuntu) Freeware FOSS 2007-12-22
list of news in v0.8: http://sourceforge.n....php?forum_id=767473

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2008, 12:40 PM »
Tomos, VVV has been updated. You can paste this into the list:
Virtual Volumes View v0.8 http://vvvapp.sourceforge.net/ for Windows & Linux (Ubuntu) Freeware FOSS 2007-12-22
list of news in v0.8: http://sourceforge.n....php?forum_id=767473

thanks for the update Nod5,
how are you finding it - or have you had a chance to try out the update?

You used use the Advanced Disk Catalog before ?
How do they compare (if you have the time for a comment or two :))

I know the Advanced Disk Catalog hasnt been updated since 2004 & isnt available at it's website (I added a link for tucows) so that's obviously a factor...

[edit] major rewrite - I got Advanced Disk Catalog and Advanced FTP & Disc Cataolger confused - whodathunkit :P
I also see it's not on the exrended list :-[ will correct that ... [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:01 PM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2008, 12:44 PM »
anyone else care to compare their programme with the list ?  Post #2 on page one of this thread
I will update it if you give me the info -
thanks
Tom
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I just wanted to say that I still think Whereisit is the program of choice here.  Even if you take into account freeware vs shareware programs, I still think it's more than worth it.  It has lifetime updates/upgrades and is still under active development.
Now, I haven't tried other programs lately to see if they are better, so for me to say Whereisit is the best may seem unjustified.  But the reason why I can say that is because I have no motivation to look for another program because I don't find anything lacking in WHereisit.  Furthermore, I don't even think I'm using more than 20% of the available features, so it can do even more than what I'm doing with it.  I just don't think you can go wrong with the program.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2008, 03:19 PM »
+1 for WhereIsIt? New version out today (tomorrow, actually, if you're in NA!) 3.91.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2008, 09:16 PM »
i'll chime in to say i'm quite happy with WhereIsIt but the author is quite busy i guess & thus takes some time (or none at all) to respond to feature requests. just my experience but that doesn't take anything away from the program itself.

Minor service release 3.91

Version 3.91 is a minor service release, improving on robustness of the internal viewer, combining all of the minor fixes and improvements in various parts of the program, and packing the latest versions of various plugins, modified in the last few weeks.
http://www.whereisit-soft.com/news.html

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2008, 12:18 AM »
I didn´t mention at what customers you´re aiming: chemists, biologists, geneticists and other scientists that have enough money for something like Axiope.

Well... this is one evolutionary biologist that can't afford Axiope  ;D Thank goodness for the free version... which I've not yet tried. Might give it a go though.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Another very happy Where Is It? user.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2008, 05:16 AM »
thanks for the update Nod5,
how are you finding it - or have you had a chance to try out the update?

You used use the Advanced Disk Catalog before ?
How do they compare (if you have the time for a comment or two :))

Sure. I still use Advanced Disk Catalog, since VVV still lack som basic features, like support for file type icons. But it is getting better and better. So I hope to migrate to it some time soon since it is steadily updated, open source and works in both windows and linux.

But finding some way to migrate the catalog and avoid the tedious task of manually entering all discs into VVV might prove to be a challenge.

I know the Advanced Disk Catalog hasnt been updated since 2004 & isnt available at it's website (I added a link for tucows) so that's obviously a factor...
[edit] major rewrite - I got Advanced Disk Catalog and Advanced FTP & Disc Cataolger confused - whodathunkit :P
I also see it's not on the exrended list :-[ will correct that ... [/edit]
Once every six months or so I go to the Advanced Disc Catalog site to see if there are any updates. When you google http://www.google.co...dvanced+disk+catalog then the first match is http://www.elcomsoft.com/adc.html . Clicking that takes me to a completely empty window and I have more than one time thought "that's it, they've pulled the plug on it!". A moment later I realize that it's my ad blocker that obstructs the page from showing  ;D Yet I moment later I realize that I was fooled in the exact same way 6 months ago :D Anyway, naming a page adc.html is not smart design.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:18 AM by Nod5 »

noblejoker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Father & Husband, Biz Owner, PC user & Blogger,
    • View Profile
    • My PC USers Group - Posts & Discussions
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Hi

I have read through all the information here and the work done by some is amazing
Weel done Tomos & Crush

Does/is anyone using one of these programs to catalogue a music collection, specifically an LP record music collection
I would love to here what program you use and why
Thanks
MATT
Matt from Australia

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Once every six months or so I go to the Advanced Disc Catalog site to see if there are any updates. When you google http://www.google.co...dvanced+disk+catalog then the first match is http://www.elcomsoft.com/adc.html . Clicking that takes me to a completely empty window and I have more than one time thought "that's it, they've pulled the plug on it!". A moment later I realize that it's my ad blocker that obstructs the page from showing  ;D Yet I moment later I realize that I was fooled in the exact same way 6 months ago :D Anyway, naming a page adc.html is not smart design.

Looks like they've fixed your problem: http://www.disk-catalog.com/