topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)  (Read 70470 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SuperboyAC's DC blog #2 (Live Search feature in software)
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Just press the Shift key as you type and you are immediately and incrementally put in the proper directory. The same works for files in the File View. Or, you can use the Spell search function (just enter the "|" character). I agree that not all those extremely powerful options are obvious at first, but generally it pays off to browse throughout the help file and learn some of those. You'll reach an extraordinary productivity!

Awesome - thanks yksyks  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07 AM »
A nice extra feature of EverNote is that if you put two terms in the search box, it treats them as a Boolean AND, highlighting the search strings in different colours.  Boolean searching is valuable to me.

Aww!!  I never realized that!  That kicks butt!  Evernote was such a great program.

It's a great feature!  But... it "was" a great program?  It still works here...

AZZ was the very first program that I noticed the feature in years ago.  But it only searched the titles of the cards, not the entire database.

That seems to me AZZ's greatest limitation.  The Web site has quite a few user-submitted cardfiles, and the ones that seem to me most successful are the simplest ones.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 10:09 AM »
It's a great feature!  But... it "was" a great program?  It still works here...

Well, Evernote has moved on to be a web application.  So the standalone version that we're still using is discontinued.  That's all I meant.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 03:24 AM »
Evernote has moved on to be a web application.  So the standalone version that we're still using is discontinued.  That's all I meant.

OK, I see what you mean, thanks.  I certainly have no plans to move to a Web-based application.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 04:49 AM »
Not sure if that is correct according to Evernote.com you can "On the web. On your desktop. On your phone.

Everything you put into Evernote is always synchronized across all of your devices. That way, all your memories are available to you wherever you are.
Downloads

* Mac OS X Leopard
    * Windows XP/Vista
    * Windows Mobile
    * Web Clippers
" which seems to suggest there's still a desktop version?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19 AM »
justice: this same discussion made me go get more info on that site too.
Apparently, everything is saved online, you need to have an evernote account (which can be free and you get 40mb of bandwidth, or premium and you get 500mb). I'm not sure if it's replicated locally or not.
Still, yes, there's a desktop and mobile version, but they still need web. Unfortunately, there isn't much detail on the website, i think a better description would help.

If someone was able to try it and make us a mini-review, that'd be great :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Evernote has moved on to be a web application.  So the standalone version that we're still using is discontinued.  That's all I meant.

OK, I see what you mean, thanks.  I certainly have no plans to move to a Web-based application.

Yeah, me neither.  I'm not a big fan of web applications.  I don't like the idea of my data being stored all around servers of software companies.  And I definitely don't like to use my software through a browser (I hate that).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24 PM »
A newish live-search notekeeper - NoteFrog.  Looks like a young project.  I couldn't convince the authors to add import   :o  They point out you can drag-and-drop, but I wanted to import files whole.  Still, it's a moderately interesting new program.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 03:31 PM »
rjbull, way to resurrect an old thread!  Notefrog looks impressive.  I am very interested in it and I'm going to give it a shot. Even though I use infoqube and onenote, there's always room for another light, quick notetaker.  Actually, now that evernote standalone is gone, this may have to be my replacement.  Nice find!

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Well, I guess 2 years ago it looked like the standalone version of Evernote was going away. It is still alive and kicking as far as I can tell, in fact there was an update this month.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Fantastic, superboy!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Well, I guess 2 years ago it looked like the standalone version of Evernote was going away. It is still alive and kicking as far as I can tell, in fact there was an update this month.
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.

thanks, z.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41 PM »
rjbull, way to resurrect an old thread!

:)  I read another thread where you mentioned live search, and thought it was worth mentioning NoteFrog for completeness here.

Notefrog looks impressive.  I am very interested in it and I'm going to give it a shot. Even though I use infoqube and onenote, there's always room for another light, quick notetaker.  Actually, now that evernote standalone is gone, this may have to be my replacement.  Nice find!

I don't see it as anywhere near as powerful - or large - as EverNote, but as you observe, for light-duty operations it looks potentially good.  It can be portable too, but they don't (or didn't) have a ready-made portable version, you have to copy the files over yourself.  As far as I'm concerned, the lack of import is serious, but it's still a young project.  For light note-taking I currently use Horst Schaeffer's MemPad, which is an excellent, free, portable tree-style program, but is essentially plain text and doesn't have live search.  I think it uses a built-in Windows component to do its Ctrl-F search, too, and that's very slow on largish files on Vista Home Premium.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.

Please will you report if you do try it?  I too thought that EverNote standalone (assuming that means the version that saves its files locally, not on their server) was dead.  I'd be interested to know if they updated the Firefox extension, too.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Really!  I had no idea.  I have to give it a try.  Awesome, thanks.

Please will you report if you do try it?  I too thought that EverNote standalone (assuming that means the version that saves its files locally, not on their server) was dead.  I'd be interested to know if they updated the Firefox extension, too.
you know, i went back to the website...I didn't see anything about the standalone version.  I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  it's still a web only product.  It has a frontend that you can use on your PC, but it's still a web only product.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.  And I didn't see any update to the old 2.2 version.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 03:05 PM »
you know, i went back to the [EverNote] website...I didn't see anything about the standalone version.  I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  it's still a web only product.  It has a frontend that you can use on your PC, but it's still a web only product.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.  And I didn't see any update to the old 2.2 version.

Thanks for checking.  I'd have been interested in an update to 2.2, heralding a return to a business model that I as a customer could live with.  No such luck, evidently   :(

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 04:21 PM »
you know, i went back to the website...I didn't see anything about the standalone version.  I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  it's still a web only product.  It has a frontend that you can use on your PC, but it's still a web only product.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.  And I didn't see any update to the old 2.2 version.

Are you serious? Try the big Download Now button below Evernote for Windows on the right hand side of http://www.evernote.com. The filename is Evernote_3.5.4.2343.exe. Last time I checked you could create local notebooks in addition to accessing the web notebooks (Sadly the Windows Mobile version doesn't have local notebooks (last time I checked)).

EDIT: Just thought of this: Make sure you are not logged in when you go to the site
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:52 PM by daddydave »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31 PM »
you know, i went back to the website...I didn't see anything about the standalone version.  I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere.  it's still a web only product.  It has a frontend that you can use on your PC, but it's still a web only product.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.  And I didn't see any update to the old 2.2 version.

Are you serious? Try the big Download Now button below Evernote for Windows on the right hand side of http://www.evernote.com. The filename is Evernote_3.5.4.2343.exe. Last time I checked you could create local notebooks in addition to accessing the web notebooks (Sadly the Windows Mobile version doesn't have local notebooks (last time I checked)).

EDIT: Just thought of this: Make sure you are not logged in when you go to the site
Well, to be honest, i didn't try it.  but I remember when v3 came out and I tried it, even if it can actually store the files locally, I didn't want to continue using it because it forced me to go through a registration process (userid, password).  I didn't see a way to just use the program without registering anywhere for anything.  But let me know if that is not the case anymore.  Maybe I'll try it out again at home in a sandbox or something.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 05:56 PM »

Well, to be honest, i didn't try it.  but I remember when v3 came out and I tried it, even if it can actually store the files locally, I didn't want to continue using it because it forced me to go through a registration process (userid, password).  I didn't see a way to just use the program without registering anywhere for anything.

Ah, got it now. Didn't know that not registering was a requirement. Yeah, it is still that way, so don't bother. It's great for me, because a big part of what I use it for is to grab offline copies of web pages, or clips from them. Kind of like people used to do with furl (haven't tried furl since it got bought by diigo.)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2010, 02:31 PM »
PersonalBrain 5  8/10
  • (6 is in beta)
  • Almost true FAYT, except it can only find strings at the start of words.  It won't find "in" in the middle or end of words like "finding."
  • Requires use of tabbing arrow keys down to result (if more than one) >> ENTER to locate search item, even if the only item on results list.
Side Note: This is not a small investment at $249, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies.  Phone tech support, numerous Camtasia"-style tutorials, live webinars with ability to submit questions and real improvement in development.  The 6 beta adds some real improvements over 5.  My primary beef is it's very Microsoft-centric, at least in Windows, but boasts Mac/Linux/Windows cross-platform.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2010, 09:45 PM »
PersonalBrain 5  8/10
  • (6 is in beta)
  • Almost true FAYT, except it can only find strings at the start of words.  It won't find "in" in the middle or end of words like "finding."
  • Requires use of tabbing arrow keys down to result (if more than one) >> ENTER to locate search item, even if the only item on results list.
Side Note: This is not a small investment at $249, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies.  Phone tech support, numerous Camtasia"-style tutorials, live webinars with ability to submit questions and real improvement in development.  The 6 beta adds some real improvements over 5.  My primary beef is it's very Microsoft-centric, at least in Windows, but boasts Mac/Linux/Windows cross-platform.
Nice!  I'm actually really curious about how you use the Brain for practical applications.  I tried it a long time ago, and I thought it was really cool.  But I didn't have a practical application for it.  I didn't have any really hairy outlines or brainstorms to use it with.  When I do mindmaps or stuff like that, they are relatively small, like 10-20 boxes.  No big deal, so I don't need something like the Brain for that.  Same goes for flowcharts i do, they are pretty small and basic.  I know this is off topic for this thread, but this thread is so old anyway, I don't think it matters.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 11:51 PM »
PersonalBrain 5  8/10
Nice!  I'm actually really curious about how you use the Brain for practical applications.  I tried it a long time ago, and I thought it was really cool.  But I didn't have a practical application for it.
I know this is off topic for this thread, but this thread is so old anyway, I don't think it matters.

I'm glad you liked the addition.  Actually, I had to go through the whole thread and search to make sure it wasn't already included.  I was quite surprised when I could not find it!

The reality is I just reinstalled it yesterday (how's that for timing!), but I still had my db from the first time I tried.  I was originally scared away by the price after the trial, but the improvements I've seen in the v.6 beta since then have certainly increased the potential ROI. 

Since I am using it again I decided I would use it for everything.  The many-to-many architecture and the instantaneous location of whatever I am looking for has really eliminated many of the confines of structure.  It truly is as fluid and the human brain, just not as fast.  I have found nothing like it yet! 

Even having said all that, I know you well enough to know you need more.   ;)  So here goes...

• Contact List - I include all details in the "Notes" plus any details about the contact.  The beautiful thing here is I do not have to have the focus on the contact.  If I have a project in focus, I only have to hover over the contact's name  and it will show the Notes/Contact Info.  This works for any node.  Hover over any visible node and the details, if any, will be displayed in the window.
  • Notes - Create a node, enter any data if it is long, give it a subject and include the rest in the Notes.  Some formatting options are available.
  • Calendar - Nothing special, but any node can be made a scheduled item by creating an appointment. 
    • Start, Finish and All Day, Date-Time entry (30-min increments in the drop-downs)
    • Reminders are available as [1-9999999] (no kidding) of Minutes, Hours, Days, Weeks.
    • Recurrence is available in [1-30] Days, Weeks, Months and Years.  That's right you can set a recurrence date for the year 10,002,009 CE.  You'll want to make sure you will be free for that one!
  • ToDo List - Since this is free form, it is very easy and customizable and can be dated via the above bullet.
  • Database - Well that is what this is at heart.  Any file can be associated with one or more nodes.  Either by reference or by copying to internal db.
  • Reports - These can be created via selecting criteria, but I have never used it (yet), but I might try later tonight.
  • I am using PB to work out ideas for a fiction epic akin to "Dune."  (Hey!  I can dream, can't I?)  It is very easy to link characters, plots, subplots, locations and objects in the story.  The free-form ability to link anything to everything related is a breeze and becomes almost transparent to the actual writing.  Lots of fun!"
  • Business - I own an OTR truck (see avatar) that two of my sons drive.  I keep records about...
    • Items that need to be addressed when they bring it back to the barn.  I hate sending them back out and notice we forgot to fix the ground-fault in the left tail light.
    • I am always experimenting with efficiency so I keep ideas for them to try as situations allow.  I keep records of success/failure of each.  FYI - this has proven quite successful.
    • Records of unusual circumstances at shippers/receivers to cover our back if brought into question later.
    • Instantaneous recall of information when someone calls about anything gives the appearance I've got it all together.
  • Lyrics and Poetry Structure - I use PersonalBrain to experiment with lyrics for songs (see below) and poetry in a graphical structure.  FLASH! An idea creeps in, make a quick node and go on.
  • Song Writing and Composing - Similar to the above, PB is great at creating/experimenting/testing musical ideas that I can test out in Finale and/or Sibelius.  I am not an expert in either music programs, but the ability to hash out ideas in a graphical structure is symbiotic.
  • Doodling - Sometimes I like to just add random thoughts.  This always provokes some item related to my doodle and I can instantly create the link.  The freedom to enter random thoughts is very liberating and really gets the creative juices flowing.

Superboyac, I hope that will give you a start.  It was no trouble to do that for you.  You have given so much to myself and others.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to reply here or PM if you desire.

Fair winds,
Calvin

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2010, 03:14 AM »
I really need to mention OneNote 2010 here. Its implementation of live search -or whatever it's called- is pretty impressive. Also pretty essential in a note-taking application like OneNote.