topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC  (Read 103376 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Nintendo Switch-like PC
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 03:10 AM »
Here's a tool you can use to estimate your shipping date. Supposedly people have been reporting that it is accurate to within about a 1 week error of margin.

https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/

It says my Steam Deck order date will be Aug 22 2022.

I heard about that tool from this video titled Steam Deck Q2 - Before You Buy:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 07:31 AM »
Using various datasets:

mooV2 (Wed Apr 06 2022) - 3-26-22-moo
Estimated Order Date: Mon Aug 15 2022

mooV2 (Wed Apr 06 2022) - 2-11-22-hoxeel-filtered
Estimated Order Date: Mon Aug 08 2022

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 09:54 PM »
I might pass on this. Have to think hard before August comes.

Just read a thread on reddit that threw a dash of cold water on the purchase. Not because of the device, but taking a hard look at my use case.

https://www.reddit.c...mdeck_after_a_month/

I don't travel, I don't commute, and I have a good gaming PC. Add to that the fact that I'm gaming a lot less these days, and it's starting to seem like a FOMO situation rather than the device being something that fits me.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 04:08 AM »
Yep. Definitely need to consider your use-case to determine whether or not the Steam Deck is for you.

I think maybe my situation is the opposite of yours. Initially I was kind of hesitant and unsure of my purchase. I even waited a few hours after learning about it before I finally decided to just pre-order it with the understanding that I would have some time to make up my mind later on whether or not I really wanted it. Even earlier in this thread I had stated that I was in no hurry to to get it. But the more I think about it and the more I hear about it, the more I think that Q3 can't come soon enough for me. :D

In my case, I don't often go far, or for long, but even if/when I do, the Nintendo Switch (or 3DS before it) only gives me maybe 3-5 hours of battery. So I pretty much always need to have a charging source anyway. That said, I rarely travel by plane, and I usually get carsick if I try to read or play a handheld in the car, so I'd likely only be playing in a hotel (or similar) room, with an adequate power source nearby, rather than while in motion on the road.

Also, it's sometimes fun to have a "LAN" party with Nintendo handhelds, which in the past 15 years or so I've always done somewhere plugged into a power source because the batteries have been so short lived. So I can see myself doing something similar with the Deck. But the Deck has the added advantage that not everyone will need the same console/handheld hardware, or have to lug a huge desktop PC around, or own an expensive gaming laptop. And with Remote Play Together we won't even necessarily need multiple copies of the same game!

And while my PC is still generally decent, I built it in 2011 (2nd Gen Core i7) and it hasn't really been upgraded since then, other than some increased/replaced storage (HDD/SSD) and a few years ago the fan on my aging GPU died (again, after having already been replaced by the manufacturer) so I got a used GPU (GTX 670) which I think made its debut in around 2012.

Basically, given how technology has improved in the past decade, I think the Deck should be at least as powerful as--if not more powerful than--my current computer. So I'm hoping this will be a modest upgrade for me at a minimum. But even if my current PC runs something better than the Deck does, I can still use Remote Play to run the game on my PC in the home office while it streams to the Deck (which could be connected to my TV).

As implied, my PC is a desktop machine. I don't have a laptop. So having the portability of the Deck, and the (assumed) affordability of the official dock, or at the very least affordable 3rd party USB hub, means I should be able to have multiple docks to easily transition from one room/screen to another as I see fit. And I can even use it as an emulator and get a console-like experience from it to enjoy some "oldies but goldies" by myself or with others.

(I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to have multiple docks for my Nintendo Switch so I could easily move it from one room/screen to another and back again. But Nintendo's official dock is sold for $90(!) and there have been many reports of 3rd party docks bricking (or otherwise damaging) the Switch, so I've never bothered to get a second one. Which means any time I want to connect it to another screen I need to disconnect and reconnect the power source and display cables. And after doing that enough times I just sometimes don't feel like it anymore which means often my Switch remains powered off when otherwise I might be inclined to use it.)

As things stand now, I think it's quite possible that the Deck will be my "daily driver" computer, if I can learn to live without Windows most of the time. That may be a bit of a stretch, but I'm excited to get my hands on one and find out.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Using various datasets:

I got to thinking that maybe the estimates had changed now that Valve are ramping up production/sales, and I was also curious about what other datasets would estimate for me since I only had tried the one, so I went back and checked the various datasets.

ntReserveTime: 1626497276

The moo dataset still estimates Aug 22 (which makes sense since it hasn't been updated since before the last time I checked). The hoxeel dataset estimates Aug 15. Using the abyzma calculation appears to just select a random date in Q3. It changes wildly each time I click the button.

Aha! It seems I was right. I just read the details a bit more thoroughly and found this:

Abyzma's method randomly selects a date within your quarter

That's useless...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2022, 10:50 PM »
I reserved a 512GB model using my own account, but also reserved a 64GB model using a family member's account, thinking that neither of us have purchased a new computer in over 10 years, so even the 64GB model might be a nice upgrade for what my family member is currently using.

It was also a Q3 estimate, so I figured it would be available around the same time as my 512GB model, in August. Maybe even a bit later because I reserved the 64GB maybe an hour or two after reserving the 512GB model. Well, I just got around to getting the information needed to look up the estimated shipping date and lo and behold, it is estimated that the email to purchase the 64GB model should be coming around 06 June. That's only 5 Mondays from now! (Hoxeel dataset estimates June 27.)

I'm excited to test it out and see how it performs with various things. Hopefully the docking station will also be available then and I can put it through its paces in all kinds of scenarios to see if I feel it's worth it to spend the full amount on the 512GB model.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't think critically about the results it showed me and was ignoring the fact that June is not in Q3. The Steam store still shows the estimated date is in Q3 range for the pre-order, which means July at the soonest, so I don't think either of the estimators with the June timeframe are to be trusted. 😭
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:25 AM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2022, 12:22 AM »
Here's another calculator I found: https://colab.resear...Ad1ceHxABS9FFtFaoyMt

Q3 512GB US with reserve time 1626497276
Sample size: 677
Calculated at Mon May 9, 2022 05:15:56 UTC
Reserve time is in the top 37% of Q3

Distribution of order dates (All Thursdays assumed to be possible):
(alpha = 1)
Aug 22: 0.9%
Aug 25: 26.7%
Aug 29: 68.1%
Sep 1: 4.2%
Sep 5: 0.1%

Q3 64GB US with reserve time 1626498402
Sample size: 82
Calculated at Mon May 9, 2022 05:17:44 UTC
Reserve time is in the bottom 22% of Q3

Distribution of order dates (All Thursdays assumed to be possible):
(alpha = 1)
Jul 7: 0.1%
Jul 11: 1.1%
Jul 14: 5.5%
Jul 18: 28.7%
Jul 21: 19.5%
Jul 25: 33.5%
Jul 28: 9.3%
Aug 1: 1.9%
Aug 4: 0.3%

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 10:53 PM »
It's kind of amusing how wraith808 was excited about the Deck and disappointed he wouldn't be getting his in December and I was not at all in a rush about getting one and actually on the fence about whether I even wanted one or not. But now it seems wraith808 is no longer interested or is on the fence and I am super excited to get mine and can't wait until it comes. :D

Some perspective on the pre-order timeline:

It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 11 hours, 47 minutes, 56 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 11 hours, 25 minutes, 15 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 3.20% of the way there.

We're two and a half months in on Decks being shipped out and Valve have only processed the first ~22 minutes of the US 512GB pre-orders. 😭

By contrast, Valve have processed about 2 hours and 47 minutes of US 64GB pre-orders.

It looks like you have a US 64GB reservation. You reserved your deck 12 hours, 6 minutes, 42 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 9 hours, 19 minutes, 18 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 23.04% of the way there.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 08:20 PM »
So you're going to possibly purchase both the 64GB and 256GB?

I've been thinking about it still. Trying to decide between getting a new laptop and this. The laptop costs more, but would have more applications.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2022, 03:12 AM »
So you're going to possibly purchase both the 64GB and 256GB?

Yes, kind of. I'll be involved in the purchase of both, anyway.

One will be for me. The other will be for the aforementioned family member whose last PC purchase was in 2008 IIRC. We have occasionally played some games together, but that machine wasn't really built for gaming and can't keep up with much of anything that was made in the past 10 years or so. So we haven't really played anything together (on PC) for a few years. I'm hoping that the Deck will allow us to play more games together again and will also serve well enough as a general computing device (using the dock) to be considered a replacement/upgrade from the old one.

I think that since the 64 GB model will almost certainly come first, I'll put that one through its paces and see if the Deck in general will serve both of our needs as I'm hoping it will. If it turns out to be a disappointment then I'll probably cancel the pre-order for the 512 GB model and figure out the best way to use or dispose of the 64 GB model.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 12:42 PM »
Seeing that the 512GB is $650 and the laptop I'm looking at is ~$1100 and will run the same games+ with the only difference being 256GB instead of 512GB is what's making me look at the laptop option.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2022, 10:21 PM »
I haven't updated this thread in a while, so here's a bunch of news:

The Steam Deck Dock, which has since been renamed the Steam Deck Docking Station, and was supposed to be launching before the end of Q2, has been delayed. No ETA on when it will be available.

Even though today is the last day of Q2, Valve emailed the last of the Q2 confirmations/orders on Monday and the first of the Q3 orders today. They also announced that they have been able to ramp up production enough to more than double the rate at which they would be shipping out Steam Decks.

The US 64GB queue moved about 1H 15M today. Assuming that rate continues for each batch, and they continue to send out batches twice a week, then I should be able to order it on July 11th.
The US 512GB queue moved about 48M today. With the above assumptions, that means I should be able to order it on August 11th.

I'm getting pretty excited that it's (almost) finally time for me to get one.

Check My Deck says my library is 32% Playable+:
  • Verified: 119 games (12.98%)
  • Playable: 173 games (18.87%)
  • Unsupported: 91 games (9.92%)
  • Unknown: 534 games (58.23%)

I gotta say, the Deck has been a huge success for Valve. I had almost entirely stopped buying games from Steam for the past few years. It got to the point where some of the features on my account (such as selling trading cards on the market) were restricted because I hadn't purchased anything from them in so long. But this year, in preparation for the deck, I've increased my library by about 100 games so far. Granted, most of those were from the Stand with Ukraine Humble Bundle. Before this year (and not counting my $5 Deck Deposit last year) my last game purchase from Steam was in October 2020. That was one of three purchases in 2020. And before that, my previous Steam purchase was in 2017!

Okay, actually that's not entirely accurate. I realized as I was typing this up that my Steam account purchase history doesn't show gift code/key redemptions. So it doesn't count any games purchased from 3rd party sites (such as Humble Store/Bundle) which redeems the game(s) on Steam.

Either way, the point is that I am now back to preferring purchases on Steam rather than other platforms (such as GOG), so Valve won me back with the decision to release the Deck.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 01:28 AM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 09:47 PM »
I got the Laptop, but I'm still considering the Deck LOL

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 10:00 PM »
I have one on preorder based on deozaan's excitement, but i dont know why  :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 03:55 PM »
I have one on preorder based on deozaan's excitement, but i dont know why  :P

When is your expected time to order?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 07:12 PM »
"Reserved on Mon, July 19, 2021
 Your expected order availability:
Q3 (July-September) 2022"

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2022, 10:18 PM »
Oh, so you'd already reserved it. I thought you just reserved it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2022, 02:37 PM »
This is my latest preferred tool to track progress and estimate how long until the order email comes:

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2022, 09:36 PM »
Does this look right? The percentages and stuff look strange - https://getmydeck.in.../s/US/512/1626478593

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2022, 02:30 PM »
It looks right to me.

Assuming the same percentage jump (about 12.3%) from the last update (June 27th-30th) holds true for all future "email days," you should get your email in 5.5 more email days. Rounding up to 6 would put you at July 21.

EDIT: The dataset just got updated for today's emails. It's going even faster than last time (about 13.7%)! :Thmbsup:

Looks like I may be getting the 64 GB email on Thursday. The queue increased by over 2 hours today, leaving only 1 hour remaining before it reaches me. :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 03:37 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Does anyone have a thought about whether I should follow through and buy this stream deck if I don't care about gaming? My initial thought was that it was just such a cool piece of hardware that I might do some fun coding for it (possibly coding games), or doing some custom electronics hacking, etc.  But I haven't really given it much thought.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Does anyone have a thought about whether I should follow through and buy this stream deck if I don't care about gaming?

You mean you don't want to use it to play Sniper Elite 5 on the go? :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Does anyone have a thought about whether I should follow through and buy this stream deck if I don't care about gaming? My initial thought was that it was just such a cool piece of hardware that I might do some fun coding for it (possibly coding games), or doing some custom electronics hacking, etc.  But I haven't really given it much thought.

That was my struggle with it. I've started spending more time out of the office so I can be more available, and that's what has me leaning more towards it, even though I did just get a new laptop.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2022, 09:20 PM »
There really is no "on the go" for me.. I'm home 24/7.  :-\

Deozaan