topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Idea: 'Enfolder'- Select a group of files, right click, select 'Enfolder', Windo  (Read 9195 times)

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Had this idea for a while.

I'd love to be able to select a group of files/folders, then right click and select the option 'Enfolder' and Windows creates a folder and places all of my selected files into that folder.

Would save several clicks of create new folder, select files, move.

Ideally you'd get a chance to name the folder somewhere in that process.  I'm not a coder but I bet that increases the complexity of the program significantly.  I'd be happy even if that wasn't an option.  Or maybe the folder was still selected after the move so you just type in the name. 

But the main thing is the simplicity of selecting-->right-click-->'Enfolder'. 

Having to run a program, or enter fields, etc. all make it just as complicated as doing it manually.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am not interested in coding such.
Windows offer for such purpose integrated possibilities.
(have 2x Explorer open, drag and drop, done)

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd love to be able to select a group of files/folders, then right click and select the option 'Enfolder' and Windows creates a folder and places all of my selected files into that folder.

Hi there Jason, I'm in! :Thmbsup:

I'm finishing the releases in my signature + some others as I'm finally home & free from work. Stay tuned @ the repo.

Cheers!
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic!

Support with your DonationCredits!
❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/publicdomain
🎁 One-time Paypal @ www.paypal.com/paypalme/victorvls
Email/Paypal: publicdomainvicgmail.com

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sweet man, thanks!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:27 AM by Jasong222 »

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I'm finishing the releases in my signature + some others as I'm finally home & free from work. Stay tuned @ the repo.

Cheers!
-publicdomain (April 07, 2021, 10:48 AM)

Sweet!  Thanks man, looking forward to it!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What KodeZwerg said...

Or, try a third-party file manager.  I use the excellent Total Commander, payware, or start with one of the many free ones, e.g. FreeCommander, Double Commander, Multi Commander, Altap Salamander, Explorer++, Q-Dir, etc.

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What KodeZwerg said...

Or, try a third-party file manager.  I use the excellent Total Commander, payware, or start with one of the many free ones, e.g. FreeCommander, Double Commander, Multi Commander, Altap Salamander, Explorer++, Q-Dir, etc.

I'm quite sure none of those programs offer this feature I'm describing.  Certainly not as a right-click option.  And as I said, I'm not looking for any other function than that. I don't want to have to run a whole program just to grab a few files off my desktop and put them into a folder once in a while.

Thank you for telling me you're not interested in participating in this.

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Cheers!
-publicdomain (April 07, 2021, 10:48 AM)

Hey man,

Just wanted to ping you- I had some issue logging in, and also see that my post was moved, but I can't quite tell from where to where.  Anyway, just checking in to say hello and still hoping you're up to code this idea!

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey man,

Hi Jason! Nice to see you back :)

just checking in to say hello and still hoping you're up to code this idea!

Absolutely! There are several releases to close April; yours included :up:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just as a note, Lopesoft FileMenu Tools includes a "pack to folder" option that does what you want (among many other useful things). There's a limit of packing 20 objects for the free version, a license (€10+vat) removes that restriction. I purchased a license years ago and it has worked well.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hi Jason! Nice to see you back :)

Absolutely! There are several releases to close April; yours included :up:
-publicdomain (April 25, 2021, 02:59 PM)

Excellent!  Yeah, I was worried and am glad it got sorted; I'm psyched to find this place, I actually don't know any other places where you can 'hire' coders.  And I have a couple things I'd love to have done.  Looking forward to it!

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just as a note, Lopesoft FileMenu Tools includes a "pack to folder" option that does what you want (among many other useful things). There's a limit of packing 20 objects for the free version, a license (€10+vat) removes that restriction. I purchased a license years ago and it has worked well.

Hey,

Thanks, that does actually look interesting, and does seem to meet many of my requirements.  I do kinda prefer a more simple interface though, since I'm not that interested in the other tools in that kit.   But thanks for passing that on.  So many too resources, lol.. How can anyone ever find them all??

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
or you could use one of the free apps that we have here on DonationCoder... like FilesNanny or Files 2 Folder

https://www.dcmember.../download/filenanny/
https://www.dcmember...load/files-2-folder/

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So many too resources, lol.. How can anyone ever find them all??
We all get here on different paths and see different things along the way - and as Curt reminds us, what we're looking for might already be here!  :D
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't want to have to run a whole program just to grab a few files off my desktop and put them into a folder once in a while.
Which is exactly what you will be doing.  I don't understand why you're resistant to using a good general-purpose file manager, especially as there are plenty of good free ones.

Meanwhile, it took days for the name "Piky Basket" to bubble up.  Copywhiz, which is the new name for it, is the closest ready-made thing I can think of to what you want.  Viz.:
Automatically organize files based on their properties

Copywhiz for Windows lets you automatically copy files to an organized folder structure.

It can create the folder structure based on the file attributes such as file name, date, size, extension, type and also mp3 metadata (Album, Artist, Genre etc).
See their short video on that page.  It's payware, and not dirt cheap either, though it's been on discount at Bits du Jour a few times.  Also, I wonder if there's too much assembly required for ad hoc jobs.

Thank you for telling me you're not interested in participating in this.
Sarcasm and rudeness have no place on DonationCoder.  This isn't social media or Usenet.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is what I use from time to time.
 :-*

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But the main thing is the simplicity of selecting-->right-click-->'Enfolder'.

Almost there :)

Enfolder_v0-1-0.png

Completion news coming :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:02 AM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed attachment »

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is working (it could be quicker to collect files, but works!)

Enfolder-menu_v0-1-0.png

Let's see about feedback as first public release gets online :)

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't understand why you're resistant to using a good general-purpose file manager, especially as there are plenty of good free ones.

Meanwhile, it took days for the name "Piky Basket" to bubble up.  Copywhiz, which is the new name for it, is the closest ready-made thing I can think of to what you want.  Viz.:
Automatically organize files based on their properties

Copywhiz for Windows lets you automatically copy files to an organized folder structure.

Because most of them seem like they are orders of magnatude more complicated than what I'm looking for, and many of them don't seem to do what I'm asking at all.  And none except one do it as simply as what I'm looking for. 

I took a look at the copywhiz video.  I counted 12-15 clicks to do what they demonstrated, plus or minus, not including the actual selecting of files.  'Enfolder' is 1 click.  2 if you count selecting 'enfolder' from the right click menu.  And tbh, I don't really understand what it means to 'organize files by attribute' in the sense that it looks like copywhiz is just copying and pasting files.  Maybe it's auto-sorting the desination folder by the attribute I'm selecting?  I don't know but I've already lost interest because I'm not looking to sort, copy, move or do anything by attribute.

There was one suggested that looks simliar.  But it was last updated in 2014.  Probably fine, but... fresher is better.  And anyway by the time that was suggested u/publicdomain had not only already started, but has been working for a few weeks.  I'm not going to go to him and say 'hey- forget all that work you've already done, I found this other thing.'   That doesn't seem right.

Here's a use case:  I have a bunch of pictures of an item I want to sell on craigslist.  Let's say 12 pics.  The pics I took are large because photos are large these days. I select half a dozen that I want to post, and I resize them smaller.  So now they're all in the same folder, originals and resized ones.  But I want the resized ones separate because they're for posting only.  So I select those resized ones, right click, and select 'enfolder'.  Now they're all in their own folder and I name that folder 'resized'.  Easy peasy.    I don't want to copy them, I don't really even want to move them.  I just want them in a folder.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:03 AM by Jasong222 »

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is working but it's slow to collect files...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Let's see about feedback as first release gets online :)
-publicdomain (May 03, 2021, 10:32 AM)

OK!  Is it ready to check now?

It might be slower working with folders as it has to look at the files inside.  I actually don't think I'd be using it with folders very often... but that would be a nice thing to have, of course.

I took a look at the github.  I'm actually not that familiar with GH.  I'm used to 'go to file' taking me to an installer of some type.  Can I get a little help as to how to install it? Or maybe it's not ready-ready yet....

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I took a look at the github.

Don't sweat it J! :) First public Enfolder.exe release comes in a few hours.

I'll push v0.1.0 release in handy ZIP format package to uncompress & run :up:

Cheers!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:13 AM by publicdomain »

Jasong222

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I took a look at the github.

Don't sweat it J! First public Enfolder.exe release comes in a few hours.

I'll push v0.1.0 release in handy ZIP format package to uncompress & run :)

Cheers!
-publicdomain (May 03, 2021, 10:50 AM)

Ok, cool.  No rush, I just misread your message.  For a funny little 'nothing' program, I'm getting excited to see it.  And the other day I was selecting some files and had that thought again- "Damn, I wish I could just put this in their own folder...."  And then I remembered that soon, I can!

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, cool.  No rush

Yep, still a "today release". Not that much left. Currently trying to make it a bit faster... Enfolder registers itself gently via current user registry entries for instant activation.

Under this approach, Windows sends files one by one, thus it registers a small ad hoc server for populating files & directories list as they arrive. Still this may fit the bill since your case is one of doing lesser manual steps over raw speed smile.png

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
still a "today release". Not that much left.
-publicdomain (May 03, 2021, 06:10 PM)

...pretty much done, yet smallish stuff has been "popping in". Current approach has its funky ways! Been squashing a race condition; it's proving worth it since a full-blown shell extension may be an overkill (sticking to registry in here)...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:50 PM by publicdomain »

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Been squashing a race condition
-publicdomain (May 04, 2021, 08:07 PM)

Race condition's been addressed! aplausos.gif

Program's collecting all files correctly:

Enfolder-form_v0-1-0.png

Release in "coming soon state" porra.gif

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:18 PM by publicdomain »