topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Testing new DC discord chat server  (Read 9740 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Testing new DC discord chat server
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:25 AM »
It looks like we are going to be moving our official chat system from irc to discord.
You can find an embedded client on the "Help -> Live Chat" menu of the website here (or if you already have Discord client installed you can join via discord directly: https://www.discord.io/donationcoder)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:50 AM by mouser »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Testing new DC discord chat server
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:30 AM »
*sings*
I'm so excited...and I just can't hideeee ittttttttttttttttttt  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Good. Could anyone transfer the rights to the IRC channel to me? Because I refuse to use vendor lock-in software running on centralized and proprietary US infrastructure.

edit: Rolling on the floor laughing for multiple reasons. Broken low-security spyware as an IRC replacement? No, thank you.
A serious downgrade, if you ask me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:29 PM »
3rd party cookies as in they use cookies on Discord which are not from DC.  If you go directly to the Discord, you shouldn't have that problem.  And you can use it in the browser.  If you're going to argue against it, the least you could do is use valid ones.  :-\

https://discord.gg/9J4mHfF

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 03:08 PM »
It looks like we are going to be moving our official chat system from irc to discord.

I haven't really been in the DC IRC channel for quite some time, but I almost always have Discord running, so I'm OK with this decision. :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 04:00 PM »

I haven't really been in the DC IRC channel for quite some time, but I almost always have Discord running, so I'm OK with this decision. :Thmbsup:

It's taken me 2 years of begging and pleading with him to finally make this happen...now I will drag him kicking and screaming into the 21st century  ;D

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Nothing against new technology but this new advanced improvement kicks me out after about 1 minute of doing nothing.
Used via webchat-nonregistered-mode.
Any comments?

ps: what sucks it that you dont even see if you are connected or not.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Point proven: Discord is broken anti-software.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Oh sure.  Very scientific approach  :huh: :-\

Nothing against new technology but this new advanced improvement kicks me out after about 1 minute of doing nothing.
Used via webchat-nonregistered-mode.
Any comments?

ps: what sucks it that you dont even see if you are connected or not.

I'm not sure about the forum integration or this TitanEmbeds (especially since it's listed as beta), but try the link above, i.e. https://discord.gg/9J4mHfF.  It should take you to the signup and be a pretty seamless experience.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:23 AM »
After small chitchat with mighty mouser I become registered and using discord client software where i do not need to accept any kind of cookie but have to accept license agreement.
I still miss a connectivity sign but it works better than web-based.
For short time I've been testing the Client, no problems encountered.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 09:53 AM »
We like to stay 5-10 years behind the times when it comes to web technology.. That makes it about time to move away from irc to discord..  I have *very* fond memories of irc, and the simplicity of it, but it's probably time to move on to a more modern platform that is more commonly used by people.  This last part is the most compelling -- discord just seems to be where more DC people *already* are there days for other projects, and it's hard to justify making people use something else.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:11 AM by mouser »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Sure, except that it is harder to use Discord (IRC clients don’t need much from you), the channel does not suddenly appear in the search results, the client software is a mess and there are no sane reasons to move away. I mean, this is a web forum. Why doesn’t DC move to Facebook/reddit instead because that’s where the people already are? It would be “about time”...

This was a horrible idea for many reasons, but spyware is “modern” these days because “everyone” uses it.

Eek.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 10:40 AM »
This was a horrible idea for many reasons, but spyware is “modern” these days because “everyone” uses it.

To call something spyware just because all communication passes through it when it is a communication platform is definitely showing that this isn't a real argument.

A rebuttal from someone else so I don't have to type it:

https://support.disc...cord-less-of-spyware

And I'm clipping the part in case you don't want to visit (which also helps to remove the imflammatory language:

Now, I am going to explain everything Discord collects in this article:

• IP Address - Discord uses your IP address to make sure you do not create alts to circumvent bans. Discord checks against a list of IP address you have connected from when signing in as a security measure. Discord literally needs your IP address to send you any form of data, it's literally like a return address in real life.
  • Device UUID - From what I understand, all this does is identify your Discord client installation. This information is literally exclusive to Discord and has no use outside of Discord whatsoever.
  • User's e-mail address - No crap, it's literally how you sign in and register your account. How the Hell are they supposed to know you by email if they don't store it?
  • All text messages - Again, no crap. If Discord didn't store text messages, then it would be impossible to receive any message sent while you were offline. Anyone who is genuinely upset by this has no clue how the internet works and should get off the net asap.
  • All images - Same thing. How are they supposed to deliver images to users without storing them? Think about this for a second, seriously!
  • All VOIP data (voice chat) - Discord does not store voice chat data, but it still has to be processed by their servers in order to be delivered to the people on the other end. You people clearly don't understand how data works.
  • Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord - Seriously, what's wrong with Discord adding 1 to an arbitrary variable every time somebody clicks a link? What could some "spooky Russian hacker" possibly do with any of this information whatsoever?
  • Logs of all of the other programs that are open on your computer - While the website says Discord does not inform users about this, it in fact does, many, many times. Discord does not log this data, it is simply sent to Discord's servers for one-time use in order to see if you are running any games currently. It's how they show the little "Playing ..." indicator beneath your name.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Logs of all of the other programs that are open on your computer

Totally not spyware. Oh yes, I’m sure that Discord’s servers absolutely need this vital list.

Also, Google and Facebook trackers:
https://www.reddit.c...ta_there_are_google/

I understand that it’s 2020 and everyone deliberately lets some spy crapware scan their computers anyway. I remember when this was a bad thing.

When exactly has DC stopped being a privacy-aware community?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Point proven: Discord is broken anti-software.

Yes, a third party addon kicking people for inactivity proves that the primary software solution is broken.  Sure.

Why doesn’t DC move to Facebook/reddit instead because that’s where the people already are? It would be “about time”...

Eek.

Complain about "centralized and proprietary US infrastructure." then ask why we haven't moved to Facebook?

IRONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Seriously though, we have Facebook.

My main point here though is that if you don't want to join it...don't.  You're complaining about us not being on IRC anymore but let's be honest...you rarely ever joined us on there anyway.  You are bringing absolutely nothing to this discussion other than your (usual) snide comments.  Did nobody ever teach you that if you have nothing nice to say then you shouldn't say anything?

After small chitchat with mighty mouser I become registered and using discord client software where i do not need to accept any kind of cookie but have to accept license agreement.
I still miss a connectivity sign but it works better than web-based.
For short time I've been testing the Client, no problems encountered.

Https://www.discord.com

The service has a fully available browser version (login or guest account both available) - there is 100% no need to download any software for Discord :)

The embedded version we have on DC is third-party (trusted) purely because there is currently no official version of it.  The moment there is an official version (or a custom DC built alternative), I'm fairly sure it would be used in place of the current solution :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Hey folks -- there is absolutely no reason to be snipping at each other about this, please stop.

The chat channel is a tiny ancillary part of donationcoder that most people have no need for -- it's not important.  It's just a place for those that want to hang out.. There's no solution that is equally convenient for everyone.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35 PM »
Did nobody ever teach you that if you have nothing nice to say then you shouldn't say anything?

Then again, silence implies agreement ...

What a dilemma ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Did nobody ever teach you that if you have nothing nice to say then you shouldn't say anything?

Then again, silence implies agreement ...

What a dilemma ;)

;D :Thmbsup: Onward!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Meh, I love Discord and I love that I can chat to DC peeps on it now, so I'm happy haha

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 07:54 PM »
We now have our own RSS feed bot and custom DC Bot with fun games and useful features such as DC Software listings and other goodies!

If you're on the server and have any feature requests for CodyBot, please lemme know either via PM on the forum, or DM on Discord!

-Stephen