topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: desktop backup and restore  (Read 3508 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
desktop backup and restore
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen this asked about before but I can't find it now so apologies for asking again

I have a Win7 desktop that forgets/loses/deletes its icons periodically, and to the best of my knowledge without any user input

I've tried a couple of tools that are supposed to backup and restore the layout (Desktop OK, ICU) but they don't appear to work either.

Lots of questions about this on the net, but they all pretty much point to the aforementioned solutions (which aren't working in this instance)

Anyone got any clues or suggestions?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: desktop backup and restore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:18 AM »
With Windows XP and earlier, there was a function built into Windows that automatically "cleaned up" your desktop by removing icons that were not opened after a certain amount of time. Perhaps you have (unconsciously) enabled this functionality on your Windows installation? in other words, how sure are you that this function is disabled?  How to enable/disable this functionality.

That would explain the removal of icons on your desktop periodically. Don't think a tool like 'DesktopOK' will restore these icons once those are removed.

My experiences with DesktopOK have been good, when I was using it on a Windows Server 2008 computer. Did so for years. Windows 7 and Server 2008 share the same kernel, making these versions of Windows practically similar.

When someone logged into that machine using RDP, the order/arrangement of icons was always a mess. Especially when someone used a tool like 'Terminals' or 'mRemoteNG' (to manage their RDP/SSH/Telnet connections), as those always used a slightly different resolution than the common ones for wide screen monitors. Still, one right-click on the tray icon of DesktopOK and selecting the desired profile all icons were back in their intended location. A bit of wiggling and 2 mouse clicks, that was what it it took, so no complaints there.

Hence I fail to grasp why your experience with DesktopOK is so significantly different.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 03:17 AM »
Not exactly sure how to snswer shades

This isnt my machine (its my mother in laws) so I'm getting support calls whenever it happens.

Don't know about the system setting but itsvworth a check.

I confirmed the behaviour this afternoon by creating a new shortcut, created a save in desktopOK, then deleting it again.  The restore option in desktopOK failed to reinstate the icon, or the other icons i also deleted as a test

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Only a building block for making a script, but worth mentioning: The AutoHotkey function DeskIcons works for me in Win10 and some in its forum thread report that it works for them in Win7 too https://www.autohotk...c.php?f=6&t=3529

Edit: sorry, I read too quickly. The above function only saves/restores the position for already existing icons on the desktop. It does not restore icons/shortcuts that have been deleted.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:25 AM by Nod5 »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:01 PM »
Only a building block for making a script, but worth mentioning: The AutoHotkey function DeskIcons works for me in Win10 and some in its forum thread report that it works for them in Win7 too https://www.autohotk...c.php?f=6&t=3529

Edit: sorry, I read too quickly. The above function only saves/restores the position for already existing icons on the desktop. It does not restore icons/shortcuts that have been deleted.

All good, I'd forgotten about AHK in this context.  I shall have to give some thought to how I might approach it...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Could watch the Desktop folder and see what is happening using a file monitor, eg. Watch 4 Folder

From long experience I'm always kind of suspicious of reports of files "mysteriously" disappearing ... especially when it concerns anyone older than me  ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 08:10 PM »
especially when it concerns anyone older than me

Is there one?         

Target

• Honorary Member