topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to automate Windows with a fast & easy (minimal programming) solution?  (Read 5578 times)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can the users of this forum suggest a minimal programming Windows automation solution, which will allow one to perform multiple file opening, clicking, and saving functions.

E.g.: Periodically open CCleaner -> Click Tools - Click "Save to a text file" -> go to a particular folder (create, if non - existent) -> Save as CCleaner Installed App on <computer name> - <current date & time ->.txt.

Thank you for your suggestions.

HAutomating Windows - Fast, easy to use, minimal programming required - solution
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:52 PM by m9833, Reason: Topic made clearer »

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Winautomation is the best for me.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for suggesting Winautomation, flamerz. I will download a trial version and give it a spin. Does anyone have any experience with less costly and similar alternatives to Winautomation?

ferretau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A less costly solution that I would have suggested is AutoIt: https://www.autoitscript.com/site/, however it is not a graphical tool rather a scripting language designed for automation of the windows GUI. 

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PTFB?

(Push The Freaking Button)

I have used a free version of that in the past. And it worked adequately back then.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Shades. I am downloading PTFB Trial and check how that works out. While searching for it, I also came across this old software, which I will also give a try: https://rtvsoft.com/RtvReco.htm.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding AutoIt, ferretau. Unfortunately, it will some time before I can get on with it. Learning to script is high on my agenda, because of the various advantages it offers to my digital productivity, and also to finally try out creating small programs for personal productivity, which I can hopefully one day share back at DonationCoder. Unfortunately, owing to my regular tasks at work, which is not programming related, I have few opportunities to get down to it. But when I do, AutoIt and AHK are high on my list, right after VBA, which I am requiring more and more at my job, because of the many Excel sheets I need to work with.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can say RtvReco is old indeed. It is from 2002, so 18 years. Its website hasn't been updated since 2003 either. Wouldn't try this anymore on Windows 10.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AutoHotkey can do this. You can either program a script yourself, which is relatively easy to learn, or make user of some existing helper script to record a set of mouse movements and clicks that can later be rerun. Or do a combination of both. For example Mouse And Keyboard Macro Recorder from AutoHotkey forums.

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Haven't used it in quite a long time, but maybe TinyTask would be worth looking into?
The author's website doesn't exist any longer but i found copies on multiple download sites by searching for "tinytask".

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
suggest a minimal programming Windows automation solution

"minimal programming" might never be as minimal as you'd like  :(  The closest you can get might be something like Macro Express, a well-featured, long-established program.

Cheaper but less featured; Axife Mouse Recorder (apparently written in AutoIT).

Even cheaper, plus a free version; Mini Mouse Macro.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can say RtvReco is old indeed. It is from 2002, so 18 years. Its website hasn't been updated since 2003 either. Wouldn't try this anymore on Windows 10.

I, too, was (slightly) wondering about the age of the program. Have taken it out of my list of things to try now. :-)

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Haven't used it in quite a long time, but maybe TinyTask would be worth looking into?
The author's website doesn't exist any longer but i found copies on multiple download sites by searching for "tinytask".

Thanks for the suggestion, AzureToad. TinyTask is now on my list of Apps to try.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"minimal programming" might never be as minimal as you'd like    The closest you can get might be something like Macro Express, a well-featured, long-established program.

Cheaper but less featured; Axife Mouse Recorder (apparently written in AutoIT).

Even cheaper, plus a free version; Mini Mouse Macro.

Thanks rjbull, added to my list. Will try out in the coming weeks and post back my experiences here.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

AutoHotkey can do this. You can either program a script yourself, which is relatively easy to learn, or make user of some existing helper script to record a set of mouse movements and clicks that can later be rerun. Or do a combination of both. For example Mouse And Keyboard Macro Recorder from AutoHotkey forums.

Thanks Nod5. In tune with what the others have written as well, a solution without any kind of programming (visually setting roles like in many products, included) is definitely not possible. This got me thinking if AHK might actually not be as easy or even easier than the other solutions. I have given the AHK tutorial on its site a go and the language does seem to not very much difficult. Your suggestion regarding the Keyboard Macro recorder will definitely be helpful. I did not know about it. AHK is now on my list as well.

I will try the various options and will post my experiences here in this post from time to time.