topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: looking for cheap email hoster  (Read 8599 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
looking for cheap email hoster
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:51 AM »
Hey guys,

the hoster for my personal domain wants to raise the price for their mail server that I use (POP3, SSL for outgoing mails) in a few days. Since I only use it for a few mails each month I'm now looking for an alternative, can you recommend something? I'm looking for good (they shouldn't allow sending spam, I don't want my mails ending up in spam filters  8)) and cheap. :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: looking for cheap email hoster
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:42 AM »
My Runbox account works well, I use it as a POP account, so I have not seen any fees. Presumably a few mails per month will not trigger fees for a long time.  I think I made sure there were no spam filters.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:48 AM »
My Runbox account works well, I use it as a POP account, so I have not seen any fees. Presumably a few mails per month will not trigger fees for a long time.  I think I made sure there were no spam filters.
Thank you Steven, their page looks good. What I don't understand: you say "I have not seen any fees", but according to https://runbox.com/p...e-plans/#showDetails the cheapest account is $19.95 / €14.95 per year?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Yes, in Jan 2019 I paid for 2 years in advance for $35. .. actually 25 months.

My error.  About 1.40 a month.  Maybe they have that special now?

They do have a forum and they do give support.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Yes, in Jan 2019 I paid for 2 years in advance for $35. .. actually 25 months.

My error.  About 1.40 a month.  Maybe they have that special now?
Yeah, they still/again have that 2 (years) for 1 special... if no one else has a great suggestion I'll probably sign up there. :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 09:54 PM »
Running your own mail-server won't cost you, if you have a spare computer and lots of time to read about mail-server configuration and security.

But if you don't have a spare computer or want to spend a lot of time on setting up and maintaining such a server, you'd better sign up for a service that has one or more mail-admins and can offer mail service for 1.4 USD per month. It's just not worth the hassle.

While mail configuration/maintenance isn't very difficult (with a 'beast' like PostFix on Linux), it is far from easy if you need to learn about this while you're busy setting one up. And, depending on your capacity of learning, can be a huge time-sink too. So, having a service for that amount of money on a monthly basis to get all those 'headaches' out of the way, should sound more than reasonable.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:42 PM »
I haven't signed up with these guys, but I'm considering it:

"BuyShared" web-hosing by Frantech: https://buyshared.ne...ared-cpanel-hosting/

Their smallest plan is $8 per year which gets you 1GB of space and unlimited email addresses.

But I have no idea if they are a spammer host - how would you find that out?

I've also considered setting up my own email server on a cheap VPS like Shades suggests, but whenever I look into what it would take to set up and maintain one it looks far too daunting.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 12:31 AM »
Once you have setup your mail server, it is supposed to be a 'fire-and-forget' solution. And if you are the sole user, who hardly surfs on the internet and therefore never gets infected with anything, that might be true.

But for most people, there is always something that can and will happen to your system (ads, drive-by scripts, less scrupulous sites, etc.) and it takes just one thing to get flagged as a spammer by one of the many organisations, which patrol the internet in their fight against spam. Get on one of those black-lists and you will have to make an effort to clean up whatever mess occurred on your network, then apply to be taken off their list (which varies a lot) and wait until they take you off their list.

But you are still being observed for a few weeks to a month and if you manage to get on their list again in that period, it will take a lot more doing to be removed. Repeat offenders are not appreciated at all.

You might be able to look on the following sites to see if your web- and/or mail-host is on their blacklist:

The first 2 links are probably the most important ones to verify against. SpamHaus is a very important player and they are global. Not all organizations cover the same territories, so if you are on a blacklist of one of those, but you are never sending mail to that particular region normally, you still should get off that list, but you can continue to operate while you do this. In that case there is hardly any damage done. But you shouldn't expect your mail server to get a good reputation any time soon.

Private mail servers have almost no possibilities to get a good reputation anyway, just because they are privately managed.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 12:32 AM »
If you are willing to go with a host and not strictly an email provider then hawkhost has prices of $1.35 per month as black friday promotion, very good support and for sure not a spam hoster.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Thank you, all of you! I finally decided to sign up here:

I haven't signed up with these guys, but I'm considering it:

"BuyShared" web-hosing by Frantech: https://buyshared.ne...ared-cpanel-hosting/

Their smallest plan is $8 per year which gets you 1GB of space and unlimited email addresses.

It was the best deal for what I needed (just $0.66 per month!) and I liked that it's not a special offer, so there won't be a big price hike in a year or two.

I've finally set up everything to my liking and so far it's working as expected. :)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 12:48 PM »
I like Frantech. Idiosyncratic, but good value so long as you don't need a lot of hand holding.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01 PM »
I've used freeware Yandex -which appears to be HQ'd in Russia- for several years now, and so far I've been quite happy with it.
https://mail.yandex.com/
I don't speak Russian, but their English version and UI is quite good.

I use Yandex in tandem with www.SneakEmail.com as a paid glorified spam filter. Nobody even 'sees' Yandex, because SneakEmail acts as my 'front end'. Each entity I contact gets their own unique virtual email address, permanent for them only.

A bit of folklore for you; I get very little junk, spam, or malware email, but a couple of years back I once received a flawlessly executed faux PayPal email asking for routine data verification. Trouble was, it did not come from the SneakEmail PayPal address and email header I had originally created for the real PayPal, but one of my other, obviously compromised email contacts. I wrote the real PayPal and forwarded the spoof PayPal email in it's entirety. A little while later, back came the response from the real PayPal, I had successfully reported a masterfully -IMHO- executed faux pfishing-PayPal operation to the real PayPal.

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 01:24 AM »
www.SneakEmail.com: Sorry, account creation is currently disabled

Are there any other recommendable services like this?

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35 PM »
www.SneakEmail.com: Sorry, account creation is currently disabled

Are there any other recommendable services like this?

I've heard good things about erine.email

From their website:

An anti-spam for your existing email address
erine.email is a strong shield for your emails against spam. Based on unlimited disposable email addresses, erine.email is completely free, open-source, and simple. Really.
I'll have what she's having