topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android 6.0 tablet recent windows close all?  (Read 11424 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android 6.0 tablet recent windows close all?
« on: January 14, 2019, 08:23 AM »
My Android 6.0 phone has a button in the recent windows list to close them all with one tap.  What I want to know is why my Android 6.0 tablet cannot do the same?  All the apps I have tried do not work on the tablet.  It seems a tad strange that no utility can do it.  I am not talking about a kill running apps button.  Just one that closes all recent windows.  My tablet saves them between boots.  Sometimes I have to individually swipe 20 or 30 windows.  This has to have a fix somewhere.   >:(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android 6.0 tablet recent windows close all?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50 PM »
What version of Android is on your tablet?  Mine has that function, and I don't even have the latest version on the tablet.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10 PM »
TMK that close-all feature first appeared on Samsung devices, and later also on other brands (nothing to compare with though), but only recently was added to stock Android.
Sometimes it requires to 'shift the list aside' to reveal the Close all feature, have you tried that?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:50 AM »
What version of Android is on your tablet?  Mine has that function, and I don't even have the latest version on the tablet.

It is Android 6.0 on an RCA Viking 10.1" tablet.  My cell phone has Android 6.0 and a "close all" button.  It seems the apps that are supposed to do it only work on phones.  I tried a few and gave up.

Edit:  It is one of those with the tablet in a case with built in keyboard.  I wonder    if that makes a difference?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:10 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:52 AM »
TMK that close-all feature first appeared on Samsung devices, and later also on other brands (nothing to compare with though), but only recently was added to stock Android.
Sometimes it requires to 'shift the list aside' to reveal the Close all feature, have you tried that?

I could not find any way to affect the windows as a group.  Is it a gesture?  I may have gestures disabled. 

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Even my Kyocera Brigadier phone with Android 5.1.1 has that 'close all' button. And when you press it, wait a few seconds to give apps time to close and then reopen that screen, not one of the apps has been terminated. Manually closing any of the apps in that screen results in the app reappearing in the screen in a random location. So it looks safe to say that this functionality may only work properly from Android 6.x.x or higher.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:47 AM »
My tablet has android 6, but it is a Samsung Galaxy S2, so if what Ath says above is true, it could be jist because it's a Samsung device.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Even my Kyocera Brigadier phone with Android 5.1.1 has that 'close all' button. And when you press it, wait a few seconds to give apps time to close and then reopen that screen, not one of the apps has been terminated. Manually closing any of the apps in that screen results in the app reappearing in the screen in a random location. So it looks safe to say that this functionality may only work properly from Android 6.x.x or higher.

What happens on my Alcatel phone is the windows all close but if one is of an app still running it may squawk.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44 PM »
My tablet has android 6, but it is a Samsung Galaxy S2, so if what Ath says above is true, it could be jist because it's a Samsung device.

The frustrating bit for me is the thing saves the list across boots.  Often I have to manually swipe 20 or 30 windows away.  It's really lame to have to do that on a regular basis. It is such a time waster.

I think you may be right about the Samsung only aspect.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:07 PM »
The frustrating bit for me is the thing saves the list across boots. 

That's actually one thing that I love.  I don't lose an app unless I explicitly close it.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 01:13 AM »
On older Android versions I used to use Advanced Task Killer (by Rechild, couldn't find it in the Play Store anymore) to kill off unused programs, but I started it manually only, as I didn't want it to kill apps 'under my fingers'. I think I stopped using that around Android 5 or 6, but it should still work on those versions. AFAICS, killing an app is the only way to close it's (remaining) views.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44 AM »
On older Android versions I used to use Advanced Task Killer (by Rechild, couldn't find it in the Play Store anymore) to kill off unused programs, but I started it manually only, as I didn't want it to kill apps 'under my fingers'. I think I stopped using that around Android 5 or 6, but it should still work on those versions. AFAICS, killing an app is the only way to close it's (remaining) views.

To kill a bunch of background apps I use RamBooster.  But in this case I am just trying to get rid of the windows without developing some kind of chronic thumb injury.  8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 08:48 AM »
The frustrating bit for me is the thing saves the list across boots.

That's actually one thing that I love.  I don't lose an app unless I explicitly close it.

My tablets all have 1 GB or less of Ram.  I would not mind if it saved the list if it was optional or I could close them all with one shot.  The repetitive swiping is wicked lame.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49 AM »
btw thank you both for replying.   :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 10:21 AM »
But in this case I am just trying to get rid of the windows
AFAIK, that's not possible/happening. When closing a 'Window', the app is actually terminated, on Android.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40 AM »
From his memory constraints, I'd think he'd want to terminate the app, else you wouldn't get back the resources.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 02:39 PM »
I had a similarly frustrating issue with the Moto phone I just got rid of. No matter how many Apps were listed the close all button didn't show up until I got down to the last one.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I had a similarly frustrating issue with the Moto phone I just got rid of. No matter how many Apps were listed the close all button didn't show up until I got down to the last one.

Interesting, my Moto G5+ shows CLEAR ALL at the top of the list all the time, unfortunately because the most recent are always shown at the bottom you need to scroll to the top to see it.

@Miles: Old Tesco HUDL v1 with Android 4.2.2 can only clear one at a time here.

You can add a Clear All function but it'll require root and the Xposed framework.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:48 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56 AM »

Interesting, my Moto G5+ shows CLEAR ALL at the top of the list all the time, unfortunately because the most recent are always shown at the bottom you need to scroll to the top to see it.

@Miles: Old Tesco HUDL v1 with Android 4.2.2 can only clear one at a time here.

You can add a Clear All function but it'll require root and the Xposed framework.

i tried a few of the one click root without PC apps and none of them succeeded.  At this point I think I will just live with it.

Speaking of Moto phone my free service will crap out soon.  Supposedly Metro supplies the e 5 plus for free with the $50/month plan.  If that is true I may go for it.  With 3 GB of Ram it must run better than my current phone.