topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fake reviews are now a firmly entrenched business model  (Read 11056 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It isn't just fake reviews, it's also fake accounts on web services, etc.  It's an arms race where business are constantly trying to one-up their competitors and everyone has accepted that fake reviews and inflating their user numbers is, at the very least, a necessary first step to jump-starting their product.

Outside the publishing industry, the practice known as “review brushing” exists on a vast, industrial scale. In 2014, Haitao Xu, a thirty-year-old researcher now at Northwestern University, monitored five black-market Internet boards where companies and individuals advertise jobs posting positive reviews of their products and services, along with negative ones on those of their rivals. In just two months, Xu saw more than eleven thousand unique sellers post close to a quarter of a million jobs, paid at anywhere between “tens of cents, up to five dollars,” he told me. Since consumers typically see positive customer reviews as a more reliable indicator of quality than advertising, the effects can be major. “Stores using brushing services can increase their reputation ten times faster than normal seller stores,” Xu, who, in 2016, spent six months working in Alibaba’s fraud-detection team, told me. “A store with a high reputation is displayed higher up a Web page, attracting more customers and increasing sales.” Online sellers who do not employ brushing services, meanwhile, often find their products overlooked.

from https://boingboing.n...w-generally-nec.html

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fake reviews are now a firmly entrenched business model
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:11 PM »
And a lot of reviews on apparently independent sites can only be click bait; those 'reviews' never seem to say anything useful. And on comparison sites that come up with a  'winner' more likely to be bought.
And so many once decent sites have become a waste of time.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21 PM »
On that note, of course someone would come up with something to spot fake reviews.

https://www.fakespot.com/

There's an extension, but I just go to the page and enter the url to the product.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:07 PM »
I tend to avoid anything that doesn't have at least a few bad reviews. I tend to learn more from the bad reviews by measuring their complaint against their perceivable skill level.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:02 AM »
I heard a story on NPR where a lot of people randomly receive merchandise from Amazon they didn't order, because a lot of the fake reviewers make verified purchases and have the products shipped to random addresses.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06 AM »
I heard a story on NPR where a lot of people randomly receive merchandise from Amazon they didn't order, because a lot of the fake reviewers make verified purchases and have the products shipped to random addresses.

Depending on the product, I'd like to be one of those random addresses...  :-[ ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 06:42 AM »

Depending on the product, I'd like to be one of those random addresses...  :-[ ;D

Damn Straight! ...Where do we sign up?? :D

dirosi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I also heard about this. I also heard that, Amazon now removing those fake review and very strictly handling this.
I have heard little known brand do this kind activity just like the Kliein CL800 multimeter https://bestmultimet.../klein-cl800-review/. I bought this but don't work as expected. I guess, this clamp multimeter have lots of fake reviews.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:54 AM by dirosi »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 12:44 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation wraith, DC member hamradio was just reminding me about fakespot -- looks useful, I think I will install the browser extension  :up:

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 05:57 AM »
On that note, of course someone would come up with something to spot fake reviews.

https://www.fakespot.com/
Thanks.

Looks like we need internet police more now as our life is going all online.

Regards,

Anand