topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: WINRAR free this sunday 30th July 2006  (Read 43582 times)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: WINRAR free this sunday 30th July 2006
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Easier to pay for it than to go to all this damn trouble.. hell I could dig a ditch and make enough money to buy it in the time it takes to get this free version ;).

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Just got the page to respond. It's non-upgradable anyway.. again, easier to pay for it.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 11:36 AM »
How can I add support for 7z archives to my application?

One way is to use the 7za.dll (available from sf.net for download). The 7za.dll works via COM interfaces. It, however, doesn't use standard COM interfaces for creating objects. You can find a small example in the source code. A full example is 7-Zip itself, since 7-Zip works via this dll also. There are other applications that use 7za.dll such as WinRAR, PowerArchiver and others.

The other way is to call the command line version: 7za.exe.
-7zip.org

Also, according to this page you can use 7zip without royalty, however, if you modify the 7zip dll source, you have to make the source available to the public. Many applications are using 7za.dll (provided freely by 7zip) and arent paying a royalty. Winrar can add 7zip creation if they wanted without royalty.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Easier to pay for it than to go to all this damn trouble.. hell I could dig a ditch and make enough money to buy it in the time it takes to get this free version ;).

wheres the fecking shovel :)
Tom

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I got the reg page & got a mail with as app says confusing directions\lack of same
and a link for the download which doesnt work today sofar,
AND it doesnt say if the download-link is good after today...

(says i get two attempts at downloading, be lucky if i get any at this rate :P )

The same happened to me so I did a search on Winrar 3.51...Downloaded the apps and put the reg in and it registered without any problems
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:55 AM by Baseman »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Just got my link! Cool!

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 11:55 AM »
Good to hear it...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 01:18 PM »
For those of you that have taken advantage of this offer, you can't use the instructions in the email they sent you, once you have that key.

It says to double click the key file but that will result in this error:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6870/rarkeyxj4.jpg
WINRAR free this sunday 30th July 2006

What you have to do is make sure you have version 3.51 installed and open it. then drag that key file into it and you are done.

The email gave bad installing info.

I made rar files open with WINRAR and then I double clicked the rar file I downloaded and it must have automatically imported the registration info for me.  So since that happened to me I don't think they meant double click the file inside of the rar file that had the key in it.  :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I have to agree with db90h on the state of the LZMA source - it's frigging ugly, some of the worst I've seen in a long time. I took a five-minute look at it and decided that I had better things to do than utilizing LZMA compression. The GPL license sucks, and so does the majority of code released under it.

I also agree WinRAR is king - it's got a nice, clean interface, doesn't try to do a lot of weird things, etc. It has UnRar for a lot of platforms, supports all important things on NT (security info, alternate data streams), has extremely good command-line support etc.

One way is to use the 7za.dll (available from sf.net for download). The 7za.dll works via COM interfaces. It, however, doesn't use standard COM interfaces for creating objects.
-Josh
Now how bloody stupid is THAT?

For those of you that have taken advantage of this offer, you can't use the instructions in the email they sent you, once you have that key.

It says to double click the key file but that will result in this error:
-app103
There's many apps (all protected by asprotect, iirc?) that decide to associate themselves with the *.key file extension - pretty lame.
- carpe noctem

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 03:54 PM »
How can I add support for 7z archives to my application?

One way is to use the 7za.dll (available from sf.net for download). The 7za.dll works via COM interfaces. It, however, doesn't use standard COM interfaces for creating objects. You can find a small example in the source code. A full example is 7-Zip itself, since 7-Zip works via this dll also. There are other applications that use 7za.dll such as WinRAR, PowerArchiver and others.

The other way is to call the command line version: 7za.exe.
-7zip.org

Also, according to this page you can use 7zip without royalty, however, if you modify the 7zip dll source, you have to make the source available to the public. Many applications are using 7za.dll (provided freely by 7zip) and arent paying a royalty. Winrar can add 7zip creation if they wanted without royalty.

Yea, I think I was wrong about that. I'll have to take a look more closely at his licensing though. It's licensed under the LGPL, which is more permissive than the GNU. For some reason I was thinking 7-zip was GNU.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:02 PM by db90h »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 04:01 PM »
I have to agree with db90h on the state of the LZMA source - it's frigging ugly, some of the worst I've seen in a long time. I took a five-minute look at it and decided that I had better things to do than utilizing LZMA compression. The GPL license sucks, and so does the majority of code released under it.

And if you think the LZMA code is messy, take a look at 7-zip ;p. And, yep, he uses COM style interfaces (pure virtual base classes), but not the COM standard itself. It would be trivial to expose it as a proper COM object, why he doesn't who knows.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2006, 07:39 PM »
I'm in 2 minds about winrar's free offer.
a. Very nice of them and good luck to you if you got through.
or
b. Very annoying to have wasted so much time trying to get to their page, only to find that it wasn't possible (for me) to get to the next step of having my details accepted. If they are genuinely happy to give away v3.51, why not have the offer open over a week or so? Just a bloody pr stunt that wasted my time.
.... if my students cause me hassles today I'll opt for (b), if they're cooperative etc I'll choose (a)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 10:33 PM »
If you're on Usenet daily, then WinRAR is the only choice. Squeez also creates RAR files, but the RAR format remains proprietary. And by the way, not only is Squeez slick, it can do just about everything you'll ever want from an archiver... for a price. I also like the 7z format, but the 7-Zip archiver app has not improved its usability for several years, and that's aggravating.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 01:54 PM »
There's another link to get a free WinRAR 3.51 license (non-upgradeable).  This site does not seem to be as bogged down as Sunday's:

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0233.001

I have no idea how long it will stay valid.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 03:12 PM »
There's another link to get a free WinRAR 3.51 license (non-upgradeable).  This site does not seem to be as bogged down as Sunday's:

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0233.001

I have no idea how long it will stay valid.

Thanks for this, got my free license  :-[  :)  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 03:13 PM »
In another board users compared their free registration info and it seems everyone got the same key. So why not share this key?

Edit: removed free key.  :-[

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:02 PM by wr975 »

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 03:36 PM »
I thought the key would be the same for every one... I never bothered to check tho.
As for posting this here.. I don't think it's a good idea. They specifically set a time zone for license
downloads.. and now it's over. I think you should respect the authors way of business if you know
what I mean. Any way, that's what I think - you should atleast complete the sign up info for the free
key, that's the msg I was tryna deliver.. you can unsub any time from your sign up.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 01:35 AM by mitzevo »

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2006, 04:10 PM »
The key is definitely the same for everyone, but it seems they want to control its dissemination to at least build a mailing list to potentially sell a reduced cost upgrade to at a later date.  I guess this is the rightful choice of the Winrar team and as such if publishing the key isn't illegal (and I doubt it is as they have effectively made it public domain) it is most likely immoral.  That being said, with the problems gaining access to it during the last offer I think many who tried and tried again are more than entitled to it.

Yeah, I'm a mass of contradictions!  ;D

Designated "proofreading free" zone.