topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Fundraiser 2018 Money - Help Decide Where it Goes  (Read 28070 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Fundraiser 2018 Money - Help Decide Where it Goes
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:28 AM »
We raised about $13,200 during the fundraiser in April. Time to decide how the money should be allocated.

Here are my thoughts:  I would like us to set aside $4,800 x 2 = $9,600 to pay for the next 2 years of hosting.
That leaves $3,600.

I think we want to allocate some of that to give to coders who hang out in the Coding Snacks area to encourage their work in writing code based on user requests, and maybe other coders who share their software and for whom dc is their main "home".
I suggest $1,000.    I have no idea how to divvy it up, but maybe some of the DC moderators and coding snack "consumers" can decide?

That would leave $2,600.

Speaking of moderators, I think it would be nice to give a little of the money to the moderators who take time away from their day to ban spammers, etc., so they can at least go out for a meal or drinks.  Maybe $500 total?

Lastly I would like us to try an experiment of "funding" one or two dc members who are interested in writing small but regular/consistent write-ups about news in software, technology, etc.  Maybe $1,000 x 2? = $2000?

Maybe set aside $100-$200 to help pay shipping costs for me to send out some custom painted 3d cody models..

Those are just my thoughts, I am happy to do whatever the community wants.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:41 AM by mouser »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fundraiser 2018 Money - Help Decide Where it Goes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Other than hosting and site costs the priority should be the coders. I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course. They create 'loyalty' to the site and concept of DC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course.

DC receives a small but regular (though long-term unpredictable) stream of donations year round, and many of these are sent to me directly in the form of donationcredits; furthermore, I get some small number of commercial license purchases for my software through the site.  And DC is not my full time job.  In short, I do not need to receive any of the fundraiser money.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:41 AM by mouser »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course.

DC receives a small but regular (though long-term unpredictable) stream of donations year round, and many of these are sent to me directly in the form of donationcredits; furthermore, I get some small number of commercial license purchases for my software through the site.  And DC is not my full time job.  In short, I do not need to receive any of the fundraiser money.

I don't think that rgdot was talking about 'need' :Thmbsup:

You do a lot- and a lot that people don't see.  We just appreciate that!   8) :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:44 AM »
You do a lot- and a lot that people don't see.  We just appreciate that!

I appreciate that.

My time working on site stuff waxes and wanes.  This last year has been quite intensive because of the move to the new site content management system and all the custom coding I've had to do for it.  But now that that's done life will be easier going forward.  I hate that it's taken so much time away from coding on applications, but it had to be done.  Now I will have more freedom to work on new projects and improve my existing apps.

Anyway, as I said, I *do* get money from the site -- both from donations and from the occasional site license purchase of my software.  After expenses are paid, I am not shy about receiving donations and money from the site, especially if I've worked hard recently on the site and my software, and when it's clear that donations are coming in for my applications.  And not since the very early years have I had to take money out of my own pocket to pay for DC expenses -- we've been bringing in more than enough to pay for expenses, even as MS Windows has been losing some popularity.  As long as DC can pay for itself and I can adjust the time I am able to devote to it in order to balance that with time spent earning a living, I will be happy.

In addition, one of the things that I coded with the new site this year was a complete statistics module to track the money coming into the site.  I will be sharing complete information about money raised throughout the year, in an attempt to be more open about the money coming into the site.

One of the happiest surprises for me, in addition to the very healthy fundraiser, was that the changes to simplify and streamline the giving away of free license keys, has not resulted in a precipitous drop-off of donations, as I feared; to the contrary, it looks like the more straightforward process and much clearer presentation provided by the new license key page, has resulted in a modest but noticable increase both in frequency and amount of regular donations.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:10 AM by mouser »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:33 AM »
 :Thmbsup: but yes as wraith said was not about need

If the writing idea is implemented I think I can participate. Which reminds me to write a mini review of the software I won in the giveaway, hopefully by weekend  :-[

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 02:50 PM »
:Thmbsup: but yes as wraith said was not about need

If the writing idea is implemented I think I can participate. Which reminds me to write a mini review of the software I won in the giveaway, hopefully by weekend  :-[

Which software did you receive?  Just curious.  I have to start writing my reviews, so don't feel bad  :-[

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Which software did you receive?  Just curious.  I have to start writing my reviews, so don't feel bad  :-[

The Journal.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23 PM »
As for divvying money up to the coding snack people on the forum, i'd suggest that skwire should probably get the bulk of it -- maybe 50-75%.
So if we give out $1000, maybe $600-$750 of it should go to skwire, in recognition for his contributions in the last couple of years.
But like I said I'm open to any suggestions -- i'd just like some help with concrete list of who should get what so i can get it done in a timely fashion.
As skwire spends so much time in coding snacks area he may be best suited to divide up the remainder.  skwire?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:17 PM »
I do agree that skwire should get a good portion of the proceeds, but I also think that focusing on coding snacks excludes a lot of people that just don't do the coding snacks, but more indepth things, and not just for NANY.  Just my opinion on that.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:23 AM »
I'd like to see Mouser get a chunk of change so he can buy himself a present or whatever.  Skwire also deserves a decent amount.  Both people are well deserving of money.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53 AM »
I'd like to see Mouser get a chunk of change so he can buy himself a present or whatever.
As I said before, I get a big share of the donations coming into the site on a daily basis, and I'd like to use the fundraiser money for other things.

excludes a lot of people that just don't do the coding snacks, but more indepth things, and not just for NANY.  Just my opinion on that.
Agreed.  I'd be happy if we wanted to give the money away as NANY prizes/recognition as well.. However, I started warming to the idea of giving it money to coding snack authors because:
  • 1. It's simpler and easier to identify a small number of major contributors to coding snacks
  • 2. Coding snacks are one of the few places people can come and get some direct benefit from the site from coders who spend real time on the site.
  • 3. NANY entries would be a natural alternative to give some money to -- the problems are a larger group of people to figure out how to distribute among; the issue that NANY people aren't necessarily people who hang out on the forum a lot.
  • 4. I like the idea of the money going to people who are actively involved in the site in some way.

So mainly in an attempt to make our life simpler and actually get this done, I'm suggesting that the money go to coders who are forum regulars who are identifiable as people who code things in request to or interaction with users on the forum.  This can stretch beyond coding snacks but the idea is the same.

If this is generally acceptable, the only question left is who else besides skwire should get some of the first $1,000 we give out?  It's very easy to overlook folks, so please chime in and nominate yourself.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 06:18 AM »
I'm not sure where the other fund-raising related threads are:
I know in one of them, Skwire made a quite comprehensive list of coders.
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Skrommel is a mysterious person.  He came back this year and coded some new snacks.  He has $2,000 in donationcredits that have been there for years that he refuses to cash out.  :huh:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Off the top of my head...

Coding Snack-centric folks that deserve a share: 4wd, Target, Ath, c.gingerich, & Skrommel.
Other coders that deserve a share: hamradio, Deozaan, Stoic Joker, wraith808, app, MilesAhead, Tuxman, BGM, & anandcoral.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02 AM »
So mainly in an attempt to make our life simpler and actually get this done, I'm suggesting that the money go to coders who are forum regulars who are identifiable as people who code things in request to or interaction with users on the forum.  This can stretch beyond coding snacks but the idea is the same.

That sounds like a plan.  And a good one! ;D

If this is generally acceptable, the only question left is who else besides skwire should get some of the first $1,000 we give out?  It's very easy to overlook folks, so please chime in and nominate yourself.

That's one of the things I love about this site... the coders here aren't really arrogant or doing it out of a need/want for recognition, but a love of the software.  So it's quite unlikely that many will nominate themselves.  But skwire list is a good start.

One category I think is left out though... people who provide support on the board, but aren't necessarily coders.  They keep the board going, by answering questions, doing research, and other varied things.  It basically makes the board a clearing house for issues, which I think keeps it vibrant.  tomos, cranioscopal, and rgdot are the ones that I think top that list, though there are others also.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:22 AM by wraith808 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 02:07 PM »
I'd add stephen6616 as well, who is always keeping my spirits up in the chat channel and helping with and encouraging me to work on donationcoder stuff.
And MilesAhead too perhaps for his coding.

What if we give $500 to skwire, and $75 each to everyone else mentioned so far-- or if they prefer a unique hand painted 3d cody award (which certainly isn't worth $75 but that's another matter altogether).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:26 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Oh and we should include the writing of mini-reviews as equally valuable as coding snacks, so  IainB, Tomos, Wraith, and others who write mini-reviews should receive.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 06:57 AM »
IainB &,  mini-reviews
;D
His OneNote thread is a major reference work with the author on tap

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 10:01 AM »
His OneNote thread is a major reference work with the author on tap

We should at least play him a samba!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 03:34 PM »
If your name has come up on this list feel free to message me to request your gift, especially if you want a 3d printed cody instead of cash.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 07:40 PM »
hamradio also, for doing some graphics stuff when we need it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 03:07 AM »
Ok I'm going to start making some executive decisions about where the money goes unless one of our moderators or long time members doesn't volunteer to figure out who should get what..

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 09:31 AM »
I'd say start with the lists that you have been given, and decide on the split based on your gut.  I don't think that anyone will begrudge your decisions.  When dealing with money, I find that a single consolidated vision is better than a chorus of voices.