topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to expand laptop storage?  (Read 9115 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to expand laptop storage?
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Hello!

My laptop only has a 128GB SSD which barely meets my requirements. Which solution would be best in terms of maximizing storage capacity without bulkiness?

I got a low profile USB but it is only 128GB :(

Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Large yet compact storage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Internal or external? Assuming you are talking about a laptop.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Get a larger ssd to replace the one already there, assuming you can access/replace the current drive. (newer consumer-laptops won't let you do that though)

Install a (large) SD carrd in the slot (most laptops have such a slot).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29 PM »
SSDs are wonderful for laptops since they improve startup time.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:59 PM »
I am afraid I wont be able to upgrade the hardware, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 20175 (convertible) do you think it would be upgradeable? Also which compatible SSD I could use?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:52 PM »
It's an mSATA SSD, go buy a bigger one.

Is there some philosophical reason it always takes half a dozen posts before we get enough information?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Is there some philosophical reason it always takes half a dozen posts before we get enough information?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Ah, my apologies @4wd, but I suspect this may come from a clone replication of the CONTRO AI that I recall having explained about in a separate thread.

@kalos: Search404

I've been reliably informed that the same search also works on Google, Bing, Yahoo, the Whispering Wall, a letter sent to Santa, and a bottle with the question inside thrown into the sea at a random location.

PS. You will note that in the order above the time between the question and the answer increases, this is commensurate with the time to get relevant information before said question can be asked.

PPS. If you feel that you lack the technical expertise to carry out such an exercise: Samsung T3 & T5 Portable
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:00 PM by 4wd »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:38 AM »
If you can open the case of the computer, it's inner parts are upgradable. But if you cannot put back the inner parts in the original case anymore, then it might not be such an good idea to upgrade. And this is a choice only the owner of the device should make. Besides the above, getting the upgraded parts to work correctly with the original hardware could be an Herculan effort. Desktops usually contain parts that are easily interchangeable. Laptops are much more problematic in that regard.

From a very brief search on Google I understand that Lenovo Yoga models are difficult to repair. Still, upgrading a hard disk should in theory not give you much problems, unless it is soldered or glued to the mainboard. In those cases all bets are off. It could still be relatively easy if you have the expertise and equipment at hand, but there is a much higher chance you end up with a pretty expensive doorstop.

Repairability/upgradability from any model of computer I intend to purchase is the first thing I look for. Especially nowadays, where more and more manufacturers apply "planned obsolescence" into all of their products.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:45 AM »
Keep in mind that even if swapping the SSD is physically possible (and maybe even easy) there is the additional complication of getting the contents of the old drive over to the new drive.

You might find something like this to be helpful: Sabrent USB 3.0 mSATA II or III/6G SSD Enclosure Adapter

(Note: I have not used the above item)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:48 AM »
It's an mSATA SSD, go buy a bigger one.

Well, I started the thread having in mind a portable storage device, as I didn't expect my laptop to be upgradable!

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Replacing the SSD on that particular laptop is actually pretty easy, if you are reasonably good at hardware maintenance.  If in doubt, a competent repair technician should be able to do it in less than an hour.

ifixit.com has detailed instructions for replacing components in the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 20175.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to expand laptop storage?
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Hello!

I want to expand my medicre 128GB laptop storage.
I bought a 128GB USB but I need more and I don't find cheap USB that are compact so that I have them always connected.

My next guess is an SD card.

I found some reasonable deals:
https://www.amazon.c...Memory/dp/B07FBB8K9N
https://www.amazon.c...dapter/dp/B07N31KRZL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F2D15MK
https://www.amazon.c...dapter/dp/B00V62XBQQ
https://www.amazon.c...rmance/dp/B073JY5T7T
https://www.amazon.c...dapter/dp/B012PKVLJQ

Are they reliable? Can they stay connected for years and act like a hard drive?
Should I go for a microSD with adapter or an SD?

thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to expand laptop storage?
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Buy a new hard disk as big as your budget allows. Clone the content of the current hard disk onto the new hard disk and you are done. Find more budget for a 2.5" USB enclosure and you can re-purpose your current hard disk as a portable hard disk. That is your best option.

Because SD cards are more often than not slow. I would not want to use those as a hard disk, as their main purpose is storage only. And big size SD cards are just as expensive as buying a decent new SSD hard disk 2 times or even 4 times the size you have now.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 01:17 PM »
If you get a high-speed SD card, it's pretty good.  I use one in my surface and XPS, as on both of those I can't upgrade the hard drive or it's the largest capacity.  I don't notice a difference in most day to day tasks.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 01:21 PM »
Indeed I see SSD prices have dropped alot, can you find me a 512GB for Lenovo Yoga 13?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 01:22 PM »
If you get a high-speed SD card, it's pretty good.  I use one in my surface and XPS, as on both of those I can't upgrade the hard drive or it's the largest capacity.  I don't notice a difference in most day to day tasks.

Which you consider high speed?
E.g. is this high speed? https://www.amazon.c...Memory/dp/B07FBB8K9N

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I don't know what would be good for use.  I purchased this one: https://smile.amazon.../product/B0758NHWS8/

You can see some definitions of speed here: https://en.wikipedia...g/wiki/SD_card#Speed

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 02:07 PM »
can you find me a 512GB for Lenovo Yoga 13?

There are a bunch of useful results here: https://lmgtfy.com/?...D+for+Lenovo+Yoga+13

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 02:40 PM »
I consider this but worried about reliability and compatibility, do you think it would be okay?
I don't want to lose my data

https://www.amazon.c...r-listing/B07C3YY66G

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I think you have your answer as well as can be expected.  You get what you pay for.  Do you trust the manufacturer?  That's why I go with SanDisk and keep everything backed up too.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48 PM »
In my (anecdotal) experiences with SSDs: 
- regarding read/write speeds: Sandisk is good, Samsung is better.
- regarding price: Sandisk is very reasonable priced, Samsung charges quite a lot more.
- regarding longevity: Barely a difference between Sandisk or Samsung.

So, if speed with read/write is of the essence, get the more expensive Samsung drives or the really expensive Intel drives. Those are top class and charge you for it. Rest assured though, compared with a standard hard disk, any SSD drive (SATA models or NVMe models) will be a huge step faster. And you will not want to go back ever again.

This part is only something to consider if you are handy with electronics and your laptop comes with a DVD/BluRay device. Now, I do not own a laptop myself, else I would have attempted it, but I have seen blogs where people were successful in removing the DVD/BluRay device from the laptop and reuse the bracket to mount a second SSD drive in their laptops. With some it also took some electric rigging to get the power supply and data lines from the DVD/BluRay device to connect properly with the second SSD.

How much rigging is needed depends on the type of SATA connector in the laptop from the DVD/BluRay device, the distance and orientation of the second SSD from that connector. That way you can get even more speed out of your laptop.

But again, this is only for people handy with electronics and don't mind about bricking a laptop if they make a (unintentional) mistake. Even if you do manage to make it work, you can kiss any guarantee goodbye, no matter what.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 04:14 PM »
It's been 19 months and this thread is still relevant ... mainly because, as usual, nothing was done using the info given in it ... this is going to turn into another 5 year thread, isn't it?

Don't suppose we could merge them?

FWIW, Amazon UK currently:
500GB mSata 860 EVO Samsung  (Write ~520MB/s, Read ~550+MB/s - optimal conditions) ~£85
400GB uSD A1, A2, U3/V30 Sandisk/Samsung (Rated Write minimum 10, 20, 30MB/s respectively, Read ~90-100MB/s) ~£80-160

Do your research ...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:15 AM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 06:13 PM »
It's been 19 months and this thread is still relevant ... mainly because, as usual, nothing was done using the info given in it ... this is going to turn into another 5 year thread, isn't it?

Don't suppose we could merge them?

Merged.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 06:17 PM »