topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Weather notifications  (Read 5525 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Weather notifications
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Hello!

I am struggling to find an androip app that will notify me early in the morning if it is going to rain in my area during the day or not.

I have tried several but none is suitable.

Any idea?

Thanks!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Weather notifications
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:29 PM »
What have you tried, and why are they unsuitable?

I use IFTTT to do this.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Usually the weather forecast authority relevant to your country is the best source of info, eg. The Met Office for the UK.

Cue round of 20 questions ...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Usually the weather forecast authority relevant to your country is the best source of info, eg. The Met Office for the UK.

Well, he says that

I am struggling to find an androip app that will notify me early in the morning if it is going to rain in my area during the day or not.

But doesn't give answers for that.  The alternative to asking him to unpack those statements is to cue the rounds of a lot of different suggestions that might have those same limitations.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:03 AM »

1) What?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42 AM »

Well, he says that

But doesn't give answers for that.  The alternative to asking him to unpack those statements is to cue the rounds of a lot of different suggestions that might have those same limitations.

I'm sure 4wd's comment was directed at kalos, who unfortunately so far always needs to be asked 20 questions in order to find the relevant info
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:07 AM »
The trouble with most weather forecast services is they don't provide the requested detaillevel for an entire day for free, usually only for 2 or 3 hours ahead. And the commercial services that are available are rather expensive, as that's more a b2b proposition, AFAIK.

There are several (smartphone) apps available that give you a warning 30 or 60 minutes ahead, maybe that's usable? I've used one for many years, cycling to work and back on a daily basis. But I don't always manage to arrive without getting wet... :huh:

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I have tried various which I uninstalled, dón't remember the names. Many of them required me to pay to be able to use notifications. Others just didn't work (never got notified of the rain on one day).

I just want an app to do a simple thing: inform me at 7am if it is going to rain today or not (perhaps when about and how likely) with a push notification. Simple isn't it?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 03:21 PM »
From your point of view it is simple. But for the application maker it isn't. And it definitely isn't free for them. Especially within a close range of where you actually are at any given moment. For any degree of precision, you will need access to information gathered by weather satellites. To my understanding, the current ones covering the US are getting old and are not getting replaced, because of insufficient funds to do so. And don't expect to have the same amount of satellite coverage anywhere on the planet either.

Still, you can use an old-skool hygrometer to determine whether it is going to rain wherever you are located around 07:00 in the morning. Simple and cheap to make it yourself. And you can get them in hardware stores too. If you live in a location that is barely covered by weather satellites, these old-skool meters will give you a better prediction than your app ever could.

While I fully realize that my answer isn't what you are looking for, I do think it is your best and likely cheapest option available.

Still, if money and effort are no problem for you and you want to check the weather just before you go to work, you could think of making or buying a "magic mirror". When you check your appearance in that mirror just before going to work, that mirror can tell you if rain is to be expected, if you link it to a (free) weather service on the internet.

An example of such a mirror.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:34 PM »
I'm sure 4wd's comment was directed at kalos, who unfortunately so far always needs to be asked 20 questions in order to find the relevant info

;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 01:24 AM »

Ah... that makes sense :)

I have tried various which I uninstalled, dón't remember the names. Many of them required me to pay to be able to use notifications. Others just didn't work (never got notified of the rain on one day).

I just want an app to do a simple thing: inform me at 7am if it is going to rain today or not (perhaps when about and how likely) with a push notification. Simple isn't it?

ifttt_wu.png

If that's your only criteria, just use IFTTT.  The image above shows the recipe that I used.  And it gives me a forecast on my device every day at 7AM, no fail.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 03:17 PM »
But I only want to get notified if there is chance for rain!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 03:43 PM »
But I only want to get notified if there is chance for rain!

You'd have to look into it.

There is an applet with the following description:

Tomorrow's forecast calls for

This Trigger monitors changes in tomorrow’s forecasted weather condition.

And the first one in the list is Rain.  But you'd have to see if it works for you.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20 PM »
@wraith808

That IFTTT seems very interesting, I didn't know about it at all.

Do you sign in with your Gmail and these scripts are pushed into your phone? How does it work exactly?
Also, I tried to use a script but it wants to 'read, write, delete, send emails' from my Gmail account! That's horrifying, is it safe?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 03:07 PM »
You'll have to take a look and decide for yourself.  I don't link my google account, so don't really know.  There's an app for android and iOS, and I use the app for Android.