topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Developers who use spaces make more money than those who use tabs  (Read 13627 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Developers who use spaces make more money than those who use tabs
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 03:08 PM »
btw was it mentioned anywhere how much $/space they are paying?  I can crank up the autorepeat rate and hold down the space bar with the best of 'em!   :)

It wasn't so much a $/space thing, I mean, maybe if they asked how many spaces they used to indent code, you might find some correlation, but I don't even...

I think the bigger question here is WHY those who use spaces make more money.  The author of the article claims there was no single factor other than spaces vs. tabs that would come up with a consistent disparity.  The only thing I could think of right off was maybe because Python devs may be in higher demand (therefore paid more), and it skewed the results towards Python rather than raw spaces vs. tabs.  But again, according to the article, the author tried finding some cross-reference that would reveal some sort of confounding factor, but found none, including choice of programming language.  :huh:

As some of the comments state, it may even be due to bad data passed via a flawed survey, who knows?

For your entertainment:  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 04:53 PM »
It is a apparent that this is one of those things, like religion and politics, that people adhere to and have their own opinions on (which is the reason that I've backed off at some of the vehemence), and I don't doubt that this is one of those click-baity titles, and with more indepth good scientific and statistics and better data, wouldn't hold up to the light of investigation and there'd be little to no correlation nor causation.

On that note, I'd recommend an old book to allow one to see the lies we are fed daily under the cover of statistical analysis- I know it has made me look at such things in a different light.

https://en.wikipedia..._Lie_with_Statistics

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57 AM »
It is a apparent that this is one of those things, like religion and politics, that people adhere to and have their own opinions on
That's what people who use filthy spaces would have you believe - us tabbers have the objective facts, obviously.

;)
- carpe noctem

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Tabs...are just fake spaces.  :P

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58 PM »
My first thought jokingly of course...is that it takes them longer to enter spaces verses tabs and if they get paid by the hour...then more time was spent with spaces... :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24 AM »
My first thought jokingly of course...is that it takes them longer to enter spaces verses tabs and if they get paid by the hour...then more time was spent with spaces... :P

You can set tabs to expand to a certain amount of spaces in most IDEs :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 09:19 AM »
For your entertainment:

Heh. Heh. Cute video. Of course I was thinking along the lines of Wraith that the space insertion can be substituted by the editor when hitting the Tab key.  But they had to do it the way they did for it to work visually.  Also for the woman to get on the guy's nerves hammering the key repeatedly.

As far as religious ferocity goes another area that yanks my chain is when words may be pronounced in either of two acceptable ways but the didactic types all act like the way they pronounce the word is the "right" way.  You can paste the entry in the dictionary into your reply were it is documented that the second pronunciation is also acceptable.  But it won't make a dent.

cool_80.png