topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: win32pad (editor) windows are suddenly all set to "always on top"! How to fix?  (Read 7484 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like to use win32pad (http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/). It's fast, lightweight, has all the basic features I need (and hasn't been updated in 10 years... Sad!)

Since a few days ago, *all* win32pad windows are suddenly set to "always on top" when I open them! Even after rebooting Windows. I have no idea how that happened. How can I fix that? Currently, I'm using AutoHotkey (WinSet) to manually (temporarily) fix it, but that is quite annoying.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It sounds like you may have picked up some prankware.  Have you done any scans such as Malwarebytes anti-malware?  I am not familiar with that editor but if it uses an .ini file to save settings it is possible the value could have changed somehow.

If there are no malwares found a reinstall(if it is the installer version) may clear it up.
Also if you are running any kind of window management utility such as WinSize2 or similar a change could have occurred there somehow.

Edit:  by the way, what version of Windows are you running?  Windows 8.x and later has the Desktop as sort of a child window(anything that has that new fangled Start Screen the Desktop has quirks.)  Sometimes running the program As Administrator can get around it.  No idea why the sudden change though unless you picked up some prankware.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like to use win32pad (http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/). It's fast, lightweight, has all the basic features I need (and hasn't been updated in 10 years... Sad!)

Since a few days ago, *all* win32pad windows are suddenly set to "always on top" when I open them! Even after rebooting Windows. I have no idea how that happened. How can I fix that? Currently, I'm using AutoHotkey (WinSet) to manually (temporarily) fix it, but that is quite annoying.

Is it only for Win32Pad?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it only for Win32Pad?

Yes.

It sounds like you may have picked up some prankware.  Have you done any scans such as Malwarebytes anti-malware?  I am not familiar with that editor but if it uses an .ini file to save settings it is possible the value could have changed somehow.

If there are no malwares found a reinstall(if it is the installer version) may clear it up.
Also if you are running any kind of window management utility such as WinSize2 or similar a change could have occurred there somehow.

I've used Windows' built-in thingy to do a full scan yesterday, but it only found something ugly in a completely unrelated installer that I downloaded many, many years ago and never executed (yay!).

The weird thing is: when I ran win32pad again just now, the problem was gone! After being there for days... just gone! How weird is that?!? :huh: (I've literally done nothing at/ with my PC since my post above, just switched off the monitor.)

I'll keep you posted if it comes back.

Edit:  by the way, what version of Windows are you running?  Windows 8.x and later has the Desktop as sort of a child window(anything that has that new fangled Start Screen the Desktop has quirks.)  Sometimes running the program As Administrator can get around it.  No idea why the sudden change though unless you picked up some prankware.

Windows 10.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aaaaand the problem has returned.  :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I have almost zero experience with Windows 10.  I was part of the Insider Program but to install and get it to run on a Laptop inside a VM took all day.  It was just too time consuming.  But I recommend the Windows Ten Forum while continuing to pursue the thread here.  I'm sure many of the regulars there have multi-monitor setups.  They may have a clue what is causing the intermittent behavior.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I don't see that you've uninstalled and reinstalled the application?  Or tried it in a different directory?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I don't see that you've uninstalled and reinstalled the application?  Or tried it in a different directory?

I haven't. Since win32pad doesn't have an option to export its settings and since I don't want to lose them, that's kind of a 'last resort' thing to do. And the problem coming and going without my input seems to point in some other direction, no?

@MilesAhead: I don't have a multi-monitor setup.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

I haven't. Since win32pad doesn't have an option to export its settings and since I don't want to lose them, that's kind of a 'last resort' thing to do. And the problem coming and going without my input seems to point in some other direction, no?

It doesn't store anything in the registry (unless you using setup.exe and select some choices for integration with IE or with Windows Explorer).

The "other place" is according to Windows spec which is your profile directory.

Look in c:\documents and settings\<userid>\Application Data\Gena01\Win32Pad\win32pad.ini

Thank you,

Gena01
-Gena01 @ http://www.gena01.com/forum/win32pad/win32pad-ini-file/msg1486/#msg1486

That said...

1) Either you enabled it accidentally from the view menu.
or
2) It sound's like it's not saving the always on top setting right each time from the view menu as far as I can tell was implemented from the version history.

Along with the read me claims it stores ini in app folder, but note that I found the settings in the app data folder as was said from the quoted post I copied from the support form for it linked to above.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:58 PM by hamradio, Reason: Clarified post details. »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

What you wrote was "switched off the monitor" but I saw it plural somehow.  My bad.   :D

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
Stupid, stupid question:
The Option in File Menu Always On Top (Ctrl+Shift+A) is checked?

What happen when you un-check this option?
If Close and re-open Win32pad appears checked again?

Maybe the program lost write access to win32pad.ini file.
Mine (in Windows 7) is in "C:\Users\{Your.Name}\AppData\Roaming\Gena01\win32pad\win32pad.ini"

Look this file: edit in Notepad and (with Win32Pad closed) edit the value to:
AlwaysOnTop=0

Save it and try again.
The option Always on Top still checked?
The AlwaysOnTop in ini file still in 0?
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nooooooooooooo!!

hamradio and antekgla, you are right! Thank you! "Always On Top" was enabled in the "View" menu! I never (consciously) saw that menu entry, and I hardly ever use the menus. I also never deliberately used the Ctrl+Shift+A hotkey, but now I'll add it to my AHK script to prevent it from being pressed accidentally in the future.

It also doesn't explain how the problem disappeared (see my 2nd post in this thread) and then reappeared soon after, but I'm happy with the current situation. Fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who chipped in!  :-*