topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bug: Screenshot Captor switches into different resolution during screenshot  (Read 16084 times)

Flamacue

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use SC on a laptop with an external wide screen in resolution 3440 x 1440. When I undock my laptop and dock back in, in about 50% of cases this causes SC to no longer properly recognize the screen size to capture. When I capture a screen full screen or with the region select tool, the screen switches into an "interpolated" higher resolution of 4300 x 1800 which causes the actual content to be shrinked (and consequently blurred) and a large white border to appear at the bottom and the right side. Please see the attached screenshot.

Screenshot - 5_15_2017 , 11_50_23 AM.pngBug: Screenshot Captor switches into different resolution during screenshot

Restarting SC does not help, only a restart of the computer helps temporarily. Has anyone seen the same issue? What can be done about it?

I have been a happy user of Screenshot Captor for many years but this bug may now finally make me look for an alternative.

Thank you
Christian
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:28 AM by Flamacue »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Are you using the very latest version?
And is your video graphics adapter updated to it's latest version?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you see if other screenshot apps suffer the same problem?  I would not be surprised if they do?

Here is another thing to test:

Wait until the problem shows itself again -- try going into your screen resolution options manually and changing the resolution to anything, and hit Apply.  Then change them back.  See if SC works properly and recognizes the correct resolution.   If so, then there may be a simpler fix that could automatically apply a temporary resolution change that will force windows to properly broadcast the new resolution to running programs.

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use the latest version of SC, and the drivers of my graphic adapter are up to date.

Other screenshot apps (just tried Snipping Tool) do not suffer from the same issue.

I changed the screen resolution as per your suggestion but this didn't improve the situation.

What else could be done?

Cheers,
Christian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Other screenshot apps (just tried Snipping Tool) do not suffer from the same issue.

That is very surprising to me.. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain how that could happen.

To confirm -- you are saying that SC works fine except sometimes when your laptop docks and undocks -- and that when this malfunction happens, even exiting and restarting SC doesn't help, and other screenshot tools are not effected by this problem..

Can anyone else say whether they have seen such a problem?

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To confirm -- you are saying that SC works fine except sometimes when your laptop docks and undocks -- and that when this malfunction happens, even exiting and restarting SC doesn't help, and other screenshot tools are not effected by this problem..
Yes, that is correct.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok I have a guess about the nature of the problem -- I seem to remember an issue that happens when you have different dpi scales set on different monitors.  That is one monitor will have > 100% text size, and another monitor different..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is an older version if you can try this and let me know if it behaves differently:

https://www.donation...rPortable_010416.zip

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Same is happening to me on my new laptop.  When I try to capture a screenshot, the screen resolution goes to something really small.  Not sure if it's because my monitors have a different resolution?  Same thing happens with the older version, also.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Different resolutions on monitors isn't a problem, but having one monitor set to a different TEXT SCALING option than other is.

I'm confused now if people are reporting that this is happening with new version but ALSO with old version? So we are saying this problem has always been there for you folks?

Or?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just got a new laptop, so that's the explanation for my new problem.  And the scaling on both is the same.

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quick update from my side: I have not encountered the issue so far again. Neither with the old nor with the new version. Not sure why this is as it used to happen frequently. I would like to point out though that none of my screens is set to a different text scaling (everything is in standard settings). I will keep watching this and let you know if I encounter the issue again. Thanks!

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found this old thread because it seems to describe the issue I'm having with my new laptop. I use my laptop connected to a dock with two external 24" monitors. Both monitors are identical and have the same 1920x1080 resolution. I'm using Windows 10 with the "Change the size of apps and text" set to 100% when displaying on the external monitors.

My internal laptop display is also 1920x1080 but "Change the size of apps and text" is set to 150%. When I perform a selected region screen capture when undocked on my internal laptop display, the entire screen is blown up and I'm not able to capture the content on the screen that I could see prior to initiating the capture.

If I change the "Change the size of apps and text" setting back to 100% prior to the screen capture, ScreenshotCaptor does not scale up the display during capture and I'm able to capture everything I see on the screen.

I'm using the latest version of the app and video drivers. Any ideas of how to prevent the issue without having to manually change the scaling factor everytime I undock the laptop?

RobH2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm having this same issue on Windows 10 with a 3 monitor setup.

I have two 32" 4K monitors (set to 2560x1440) on the left and a 27" HD monitor (set to 1920x1200) on the right. Any window I try to region grab from one of the 4K Monitors with 'Shift+PrnScn' drastically enlarges the capture. If I drag the program to the HD monitor I am able to grab a region successfully.

I'm not using a laptop or connecting and disconnecting monitors. I'm using the latest version. If I try to region grab a section of Adobe After Effects, it enlarges across all 3 monitors.

Lastly, I'm not using any Windows scaling. My 'size of text, apps, and other items' is 100%.

RobH2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm still having the scaling problem. I have three monitors, all set to 100% scaling. Two are 4K and one is a 2K monitor. If I try to 'shift-PrnScr' on the 4Ks everything is scaled up and shifted off screen so I can't drag and get the lower right corner. Plus, it's just enlarged really big.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and rebooted, on my Windows 10 Pro machine. No help.

I tried using a 'Manifest' file to change the DPI detection to 'false' just to see what happens, that did not help. Not sure it even would, just a stab in the dark. You never know when you are not a skilled coder...lol...

I've changed to the mode where you get a red overlay that you can size and then hit 'Ctrl+click' to grab, but then that window freezes and hangs and I have to use Task Manager to close the program and reopen it.

So I'm kind of stuck. I love SC but I think I have to find another solution now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let's try to tackle the issues one at a time.
First, the red-box capture mode should not be hanging(!).  Can you track down any extra info about that? Sometimes I've noticed that when an app appears to be hung, if you alt+tab to it you will reveal a dialog that was hidden for some reason.
Can you see if you can figure out any clues about when it hangs during a red-box capture?

After that, perhaps I can try building a version of SC that forces itself to be dpi-aware in a way that will not mess up the resolutions when doing a shift+prtscr capture...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you try this beta version and let me know if it performs any differently with shift+prtscr:

(all i changed was told the manifest that SC was "per-monitor dpi aware" which *might* prevent the weird scaling.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:36 AM by mouser »

RobH2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok @mouser, one at a time. Good idea.

Using the portable Beta and the Red capture setting, the capture window is frozen as soon as it pops up after I hit 'Ctrl+click.'  But, if I 'Alt+Tab' away from it and then cycle to it, it is not frozen, I can make choices and all is well. It's just frozen until I 'Alt+Tab' away and come back.

I tried just clicking (no 'Alt+Tab'-ing) on other windows or apps and then clicking back to SC, but that didn't unfreeze. The only way I could unfreeze it was to 'Alt+Tab' it. FYI, 'Win+Tab' had the same effect, it recovered it also. Also, I don't have to 'Alt+Tab' back to it directly. I can 'Alt+Tab' to something else and then just click the SC window and it will be alive again.

RobH2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now @mouser, 'shift+prtscr'

It still massively enlarges the screen on capturing. Not solved but the Beta.

So you know how I'm running it, I didn't uninstall my production version (that is not installed as Portable). I just made sure it was terminated and then I launched the Portable Beta. I assume that's OK.

Lastly, for both issues, I tried running as 'Administrator' when I launched. No difference. Although, my entire machine is set to Administrator so that's probably moot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So you know how I'm running it, I didn't uninstall my production version (that is not installed as Portable). I just made sure it was terminated and then I launched the Portable Beta. I assume that's OK.

yep, that's fine.

ok let me look into both areas of code again..

when you alt+tab and wake it up, what dialog window is it on at that point? is it the post-capture dialog where you are shown a preview of the capture?  And are you saying that before you alt-tab, you can see that dialog, but can't activate it?

RobH2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Correct, it is the dialog that has the preview and says "You have captured a new screenshot, what now?"

Yes, it is frozen till I hit 'Alt+Tab' and go to any other window, or back to itself, and click back on the dialog. It will then be working.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok let me see if I can't solve that; I don't normally have that dialog enabled so it doesn't get much testing..

jcassella

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the same shift+print screen problem this week with my new laptop.  High DPI laptop with a lower resolution monitor, the capture window was getting magnified.  I was able to fix it by going to the ScreenCaptor.exe file and right-click to set Compatibility -> Change High DPI settings -> High DPI scaling override -> Application.

danipg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After many years using Screenshot captor on windows XP and windows7 without problems.

Unfortunately I am forced to use windows10, and I have the same problem with  a laptop connected to a external display.

It seems working fine after configuring sc  .exe properties as in attached screenshot.

Before I tried several combinations without luck, such as
Both with text at 100%,
Both at 1680x1050
1680x1050 and 1680x1080  (150%)
1680x1050 and 1680x1080  (100%)

in any configuration the default print screen function, on each screen captures the full screen plus something else (part of the other display or just a blank-white area)

I blame on Microsoft and its beta Windows10 which reminds to much to the old windows millenium.

Windows 10
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:10 AM by danipg, Reason: added solution »

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

It seems working fine after configuring sc  .exe properties as in attached screenshot.

i was having the same problem and after making this change, my problem is resolved

Thanks !!